• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I am being overrun with turkeys. Had 35 of them out in front of me Sunday night. 4 does about 200 yards out didn't want to walk through them to get in my woods.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    This girl came in right after I got in the stand Saturday morning before legal shooting hours. I could see her but couldn't tell what she was (there's a small spike running in the area and didn't know if it was him). Enough time passed I could see it was a doe and she even came within 10 yards of the stand. She knew something wasn't right and turned around. Once she got turned I made a 40 yardish shot on her. She was quartered slightly and the 450 BM round took out one lung and her stomach. She ran 30 yards, hit a tree and fell down a ravine. At least my sister/bro in laws Polaris Ranger has a winch on it and made dragging her up out of there so much easier. I'm 3 years running on taking a deer with the 450. It was pretty sparse on seeing deer this weekend. On Sunday no one in our group seen anything. Yesterday morning I did see one fork horn but he was missing his right antler. Pretty sure he lost that fight. I'll get back at it this weekend.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    Opening day was awful. I went to my normal spot and apparently so did everyone else. It was a sea of headlamps before dawn. Any deer that stood up got mowed down. I saw three deer and they were all flying by. I went back out Monday and saw a doe right at sun up for a split second. The joys of public land hunting.....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Opening day was awful. I went to my normal spot and apparently so did everyone else. It was a sea of headlamps before dawn. Any deer that stood up got mowed down. I saw three deer and they were all flying by. I went back out Monday and saw a doe right at sun up for a split second. The joys of public land hunting.....

Don't worry, apparently private property is fair game for public hunters too. The same guys I ran off Sunday night were back tonight. 3rd time and the law will be involved. :xmad:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It would be unfortunate if something happened to their vehicle.

The individuals in question are still just kids, once of which is most likely a minor. I'm doing my darndest to take the high road here and help these guys learn an important lesson without doing something that could result in anything showing up on any of our records. Given their willful disobedience and stack of lies the 2nd time they were caught, I would expect that anything done to their property would result in retaliation against our property. I will not go there. It's not worth it.

If they didn't get the message this time around, I'll let the Sherriff decide the right way for them to learn their lesson.

When I was about that same age, I made an honest mistake very near this same property. We had been stalking some deer that we saw run into a cornfield adjacent to our property. I incorrectly assumed at that time that it was also owned by a family member, so we drove over to it and tried to see if we could jump the deer out of the field. The reality was that it was owned by a distant relative, but he did not recognize me or my vehicle, and called the law.

That had a pretty big impact on me and when I was shown my mistake, I apologized, and was shown mercy by the land owner and the deputy. They explained the seriousness of the mistake and told me not to do it again. I learned my lesson and hoping these two will learn it too.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I didn't see anything Sat morning but my son shot this six pointer which then ran about 50 yards and piled up right in front of me. No tracking him. I was glad for him as he just bought the CVA Scout .44 a few weeks ago and was looking forward to hunting with it. I wasn't sure if he would be able to as he broke his leg in the middle of Oct and missed out on bow hunting. We just got it sighted in Thursday evening after work and he said he was going opening morning no matter what. He just wrapped it up good so it would stay dry and warm.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I didn't see anything Sat morning but my son shot this six pointer which then ran about 50 yards and piled up right in front of me. No tracking him. I was glad for him as he just bought the CVA Scout .44 a few weeks ago and was looking forward to hunting with it. I wasn't sure if he would be able to as he broke his leg in the middle of Oct and missed out on bow hunting. We just got it sighted in Thursday evening after work and he said he was going opening morning no matter what. He just wrapped it up good so it would stay dry and warm.

Congrats!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Sat. morning was very good for me. I had this nice 8 pt chase a doe right to me. I stopped him about 15 from my stand and shot him with my CVA Accura. The best part is that this happened right in front of a trail camera. I was able to get pics immediately after impact and as the buck turned and ran off. The next morning I checked my other camera and found this buck was right under another stand 200 yds away a half an hour before I shot him. I was happy with just getting him but was even happier to have trail pics from him before and after shooting him.

1/2 hour before the shot.....

The reaction after impact......

The buck on the run.....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sat. morning was very good for me. I had this nice 8 pt chase a doe right to me. I stopped him about 15 from my stand and shot him with my CVA Accura. The best part is that this happened right in front of a trail camera. I was able to get pics immediately after impact and as the buck turned and ran off. The next morning I checked my other camera and found this buck was right under another stand 200 yds away a half an hour before I shot him. I was happy with just getting him but was even happier to have trail pics from him before and after shooting him.

1/2 hour before the shot.....

The reaction after impact......

The buck on the run.....

Every picture tells a story (or so Rod Stewart once said) but your pics show a movie...Very nice and thank you for posting....

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Thanks for the congrats.

I had a few bucks on the trail cam. I never saw the left side of this one, if he was on it. I Did a double take when I got to him. All I saw was his right side. He isn't the one I was after, but he will do. Yes, he will do nicely.

this is the first deer I will have mounted. From the looks of this thread, he is in good company.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    n4awpl.jpg

scf7l3.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Thanks for the congrats.

I had a few bucks on the trail cam. I never saw the left side of this one, if he was on it. I Did a double take when I got to him. All I saw was his right side. He isn't the one I was after, but he will do. Yes, he will do nicely.

this is the first deer I will have mounted. From the looks of this thread, he is in good company.

Very nice both of you!

Top Bottom