• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Freshman in H.S Probably at a KISS or Aerosmith concert. No car yet. It came about a year later. A 1969 Camaro SS/RS 350 4 Speed triple black. I felt like a king pulling into the school parking lot in that thing. Then I got caught drinking some beer my buddy stole from his dad. My parents made me sell the car. I was crushed. Looking back they did the right thing. A 17 year old kid probably should never had a car like that when he is already dabbling in drinking.....I still got to drive moms wood paneled caprice station wagon though...sometines

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Freshman year at IU. I was there for the 32-0 season and the party after the NCAA win.

Driving my 71 Chevelle 396 SS I'd modified with headers, intake and Holley carb.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    Freshman in H.S Probably at a KISS or Aerosmith concert. No car yet. It came about a year later. A 1969 Camaro SS/RS 350 4 Speed triple black. I felt like a king pulling into the school parking lot in that thing. Then I got caught drinking some beer my buddy stole from his dad. My parents made me sell the car. I was crushed. Looking back they did the right thing. A 17 year old kid probably should never had a car like that when he is already dabbling in drinking.....I still got to drive moms wood paneled caprice station wagon though...sometines
    how else are you going to learn how to shift a 4-speed and not spill the beer between your legs? the world before cup holders.......

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I graduated high school in '75 and married my high school sweet heart in June 1976. Still happily married all these years.

Thanks to all of you who were serving our country at that time and anytime.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    how else are you going to learn how to shift a 4-speed and not spill the beer between your legs? the world before cup holders.......
    Every car I owned for years save for 1 was a stick. Every one of them. The 57 chevy with a glide was short lived so off to Zores and it was a 3 peddle car in short order. Those parts were easily found in the day.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In 1976 I was at IU Bloomington, having the time of my life with a bunch of great friends.
    In those days, it was still a "do your own thing" kind of place when so-called "liberals" STILL believed in personal liberty, and hadn't been taken over by the fascist left like today.

Reactions: KG1

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Every car I owned for years save for 1 was a stick. Every one of them. The 57 chevy with a glide was short lived so off to Zores and it was a 3 peddle car in short order. Those parts were easily found in the day.

I remember driving a Pickup with a 3 on the tree when I was young. Sticks of all kinds were more common back then.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I remember driving a Pickup with a 3 on the tree when I was young. Sticks of all kinds were more common back then.
    I got my operators in 1966. 1st car was a 53 Chevy BelAire. 3 on the tree and 3 peddles.
    Took exactly 3 weeks to spin a rod bearing. parked it at a friends to be dealt with latter and replaced with a sweet 56 Chevy 210 also a 3 on the tree. Took a while to tear that one up. I could swap out the trans in 3 hours. Much practice doing this especially after I put the Hurst floor shifter in it. 2nd gear never stood a fighting chance after that. Popped rear ends almost as many times. I learned to fix my cars.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I got my operators in 1966. 1st car was a 53 Chevy BelAire. 3 on the tree and 3 peddles.
    Took exactly 3 weeks to spin a rod bearing. parked it at a friends to be dealt with latter and replaced with a sweet 56 Chevy 210 also a 3 on the tree. Took a while to tear that one up. I could swap out the trans in 3 hours. Much practice doing this especially after I put the Hurst floor shifter in it. 2nd gear never stood a fighting chance after that. Popped rear ends almost as many times. I learned to fix my cars.
    3 on the tree's could be a bit tricky. You could lock up the linkage. I remember that while learning to drive with one in the Pickup. If it happened you had to pop the hood and free up the linkage by tapping on it and be on your way.

Reactions: Leo

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Kindergarten. My mom made me a "George Washington" costume which was used in various functions all year long. It's probably packed away somewhere. I have some bicentennial silver dollars and quarters somewhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    3 on the tree's could be a bit tricky. You could lock up the linkage. I remember that while learning to drive with one in the Pickup. If it happened you had to pop the hood and free up the linkage by tapping on it and be on your way.
    My 56 would do that and again I learned to fix stuff. Taking the excess clearance from years of use/abuse fixed this unless we really got in a hurry and missed the neutral gate.

Reactions: KG1

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Junior in HS, where I "won" a trip through the American Legion (by scoring high on their Americanism and Government Test) to Jamestown, Williamsburg, Naval Academy, Gettysburg, and Washington DC (where we ate in the Members Only cafeteria with our US Reps and took the Members Only subway between the Rayburn Office Building and the Capitol). Still have a special 1976 dated copy of the Declaration of Independence I picked up at the National Archives. And a tricorner hat from Williamsburg.

First trombone in band, NHS, trying to decide between the Naval Academy and the Ohio State University.

Last edited:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I spent some time talking to the Vice Principal about doing that, I can still picture him pointing at me as I drove by on US 33 and the smoke cloud from Phend Field parking lot was rolling over him :):
    10 years before ‘76 had similar “talk.” Our small high school was closing and the following year would be merging with couple other districts at a new school. So bunch of us thought we would all do extended burn outs on our final parking lot departure. And we did. First day of new school year in brand new school we were all summoned to the office and promptly lost our driving privileges plus other penalties.

(**This new school is a few miles south east of Phend Field on 33**)

Top Bottom