• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Why should we give the benefit of the doubt to the Kroger shooter?
    Why should we give the benefit of the doubt to any gun owner involved in a shooting?

Just because the "victim" was a "kid"? It was a "kid" that shot that Village Pantry worker in the head during a robbery, for example, so I am not that swayed by age alone..

Until we know all the facts, I personally am taking a more neutral stance.

You can sit on the fence if you want. What we discuss here has no bearing on the actual case. It's just opinion Roadie ... and in my and many others' opinions it looks like some a-hole got trigger happy. If I were on a jury I'd be neutral. I'm not.
    If you look at this from the kid's family's perspective, seems like the system and many others have already lined up on the side of the "shooter".

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some kids can be truly evil (met one, miles deep eyes, yrs ago, called it 6 yrs before they locked him up for life).

Ex works with junior murderers/rapists/wackos.........she's seen it too.

Age doesn't remove threat.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Some kids can be truly evil (met one, miles deep eyes, yrs ago, called it 6 yrs before they locked him up for life).

Ex works with junior murderers/rapists/wackos.........she's seen it too.

Age doesn't remove threat.

i've worked with juvies in a locked intensive treatment program. think locked psych ward, all doors locked, including bedrooms and bathrooms, all silverware counted and locked, steel screens on the windows (bars), "treatment" rooms, restraints, cuffs, etc.

your right some are just bad, and yes some are evil.......... i have personally wrestled with the devil

jake

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    scenario , teen walking down st. shooter see's teen , does not recognize calls 911 to report strange person , 911 says we will handle it , shooter doesn't want kid to get away tries to detain . the kid is unwilling to be detained so shooter tries physical restrain , kid fights off a total strangers attack . shooter getting his head thumped pulls pistol and kills teen . wittiness only see altercation in progress not events leading up to physical altercation and shooting . put yourself in the kids shoes what would you do.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    scenario , teen walking down st. shooter see's teen , does not recognize calls 911 to report strange person , 911 says we will handle it , shooter doesn't want kid to get away tries to detain . the kid is unwilling to be detained so shooter tries physical restrain , kid fights off a total strangers attack . shooter getting his head thumped pulls pistol and kills teen . wittiness only see altercation in progress not events leading up to physical altercation and shooting . put yourself in the kids shoes what would you do.

in that case the shooter is a douche bag and needs to be charged

jake

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    yeah but all the whittness seen was the shooter getting his head thumped by kid , dont know that shooter instigated the confrontation , looks justified .

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm sure the kid did SOMETHING to cause the watch captain to shoot him. What other reason could possibly exist to cause an adult to shoot a child? He wasn't arrested and no charges are being filed. The parents can't even hear the 911 call, so apparently there is nothing to prove the watch captain did anything wrong. Nothing will come of this and that's just how it goes.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    yeah probably right but in time everything we do catches up with us . and if it were my child you could refer to me as father time.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I'm sure the kid did SOMETHING to cause the watch captain to shoot him. What other reason could possibly exist to cause an adult to shoot a child? He wasn't arrested and no charges are being filed. The parents can't even hear the 911 call, so apparently there is nothing to prove the watch captain did anything wrong. Nothing will come of this and that's just how it goes.

its hard telling, adults can do stupid things too, i'd like to think that a teenager wouldnt be shot for nothing.........

it will be interesting to see how it plays out in many respects

jake

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    its hard telling, adults can do stupid things too, i'd like to think that a teenager wouldnt be shot for nothing.........

it will be interesting to see how it plays out in many respects

jake

I forget to use purple sometimes.

This kid probably grew up without his father, who just recently came into the picture. The kid was probably angry because his father rejected him for so many years and then when he's invited to visit him, he's sent to the store to buy the snacks, while his step-brother is allowed to stay at home. The kid was probably upset and only knew how to deal with it in the same way he did at home when he was runnin' with the Crips, so he found someone to beat up. Unfortunately, the only person he found just happened to be a licensed to carry a gun and was ready to deal with the situation in the proper way.

This whole thing can be solved just by attending the funeral to see how many blue bandanas are thrown in his casket by the home boys. I'm sure this could have all been avoided if his father had played a role in his life; he had grown up in a better neighborhood and not been taught to live on welfare.

There is no way that adult could have done anything wrong. I'm sure he had a father, grew up in the right neighborhood, and certainly was not on welfare! That little police record he has was certainly something that occurred when he was in college or something. That shouldn't be taken into account, because sometimes a kid just needs a second chance.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I'm actually sure of that too. However, were the kids actions legal? If the guy tried to detain the kid, and the kid laid a serious smackdown on him, then at that point the man may have feared for his life and believed he had to shoot the kid. The problem, only one of the participants actions were illegal, and it wasnt the unarmed 17 year old with skittles in his pocket.

Another thing I forgot to mention is about the shooters weapon. I just took for granted that it was concealed. If the shooter had been open carrying, that even further escalates the situation. If the kid was aware of the gun, at some point during the altercation with (to him) a stranger, he may have easily believe that he was fighting for his life.

The problem again, is that there is only one story that we will ever get; the shooters. A guy who intentionally forced a confrontation with an unarmed juvenile who had a legal right to be where he was, and as far as we know, wasn't breaking any laws. I'm sorry, that just stinks.

I'm betting that this may end up in the hand of the DOJ.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I wonder where his lawyer went to Law School to get his great command of the English language.

Quote from family's attorney, Miami Dade Herald.

“Why any neighborhood watchman be carrying a loaded gun?,’’ said Benjamin Crump, the family’s attorney. “They are just trying to sweep his death under a rug.”

Do you think that the lawyer was trying to use his best speaking ability or that he was using black American ethnic speech?
    I think maybe we be exhibiting a little racism here.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    IMHO ....... It looks to me like this. The "captain" was told by police to let them deal with the situation and were in route. The "captain" pursued or followed the boy anyway after being told not to. In doing so he should be considered the aggressor because the boy never threatened his life or property until he was confronted (possibly). The boy had no weapons on his person. The boy had no motive to attack the "captain" until he was confronted because he wasnt the one pursiung. Anything else could be argued with only one side of the story but the facts are there and he should be in jail. There may be all kinds of facts missing but it looks really bad from where I am sitting.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Martin, who lived with his mother in Miami, was a junior at Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School. He was in the middle of serving a one-week suspension from the school.

This doesn't excuse Captain Trigger-happy's actions, but I wouldn't mind hearing more about this.

cexshun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Portage

To me, common sense dictates this as the most likely scenario. The simplest explanation is often correct.

That being said, we live in a country where evidence is needed to convict. And while this may allow criminals to walk free, I'll be very grateful for it if I'm ever on the stand. I fully believe this guy should be in jail. Thankfully, my opinion is not enough to convict someone.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    To me, common sense dictates this as the most likely scenario. The simplest explanation is often correct.

That being said, we live in a country where evidence is needed to convict. And while this may allow criminals to walk free, I'll be very grateful for it if I'm ever on the stand. I fully believe this guy should be in jail. Thankfully, my opinion is not enough to convict someone.

But with the 911 call there is evidence that the Captain wasn't in any sort of danger. He had to pursue the kid to put himself in that danger.

cexshun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Portage
    But with the 911 call there is evidence that the Captain wasn't in any sort of danger. He had to pursue the kid to put himself in that danger.

I think the guy is guilty as hell. However, all the 911 tapes show is that the captain made very bad decisions that lead to an altercation. Unfortunately, we don't know what happened after he hung up the phone.

Complaints were filed against the captain with both police and the HOA. Apparently, he made a habit out of hassling residents to the point of following them and even approaching them in their homes. So it does appear he was a mall ninja.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom