• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought a compact no safety yesterday at ZX. They had a couple others in stock, a compact w/safety and a full size.

I am going to order a red dot for it (already set up for it and has the tall sights), but am sort of mystified by the whole thing as this will be popping my RDS cherry.
    Didn't know they made a compact version. What does it hold 10rds, and a 3.5" barrel?

Only ones I've seen are both 15rd 4" and 4.6" barrel models.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Didn't know they made a compact version. What does it hold 10rds, and a 3.5" barrel?

Only ones I've seen are both 15rd 4" and 4.6" barrel models.
    They call the 4" a compact. It looks like the frames are the same, just slide and barrel length difference.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The full size pistol looks exactly what I want for carry in Alaska. Look forward to additional reviews where they use full power Underwood of Buffalo Bore ammo.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    They call the 4" a compact. It looks like the frames are the same, just slide and barrel length difference.
    @Expat, if you are over 50 I think you will like a red dot. As with all things a red dot is a compromise and for me they are a desirable compromise. I am willing to give up the lowest time to first shot up close for increased accuracy at a little distance. For me a red dot addresses those conditions, as my eyes will no longer support precision at distance with iron sights.

I don't know what the 10MM optic interface is like, but you may want to read through this thread (https://www.indianagunowners.com/posts/8522732) and talk to C&H Precision about a plate.

I have two red dots now, a Holosun 509T and a DetaPoint Micro. I like both, with each fulfilling its purpose well.

Red dots require WORK however; especially from the holster. I have found they will also make you better with irons, as they force you to correct things which were buried by the proximity of irons to the bore and the relative coarseness of the sight picture. Checkout Aaron Cowen's RDS series on YouTube at Sage Dynamics well worth the time to watch.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I bought a compact no safety yesterday at ZX. They had a couple others in stock, a compact w/safety and a full size.

I am going to order a red dot for it (already set up for it and has the tall sights), but am sort of mystified by the whole thing as this will be popping my RDS cherry.
    I just bought a 4.25 9mm P.C. version. Tall sights just like yours. It will be my first RDS gun too. What optic are you thinking about. I'm leaning towards a green got.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    While I buying the 9mm, I handled the 10mm. The trigger seemed to have a lot of "plastic scrape" on the sides of the very first part of the movement. Like something wasn't quite fit or aligned correctly.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    While I buying them 9mm, I handled the 10mm. The trigger seemed to have a lot of "plastic scrape" on the sides of the very first part of the movement. Like something wasn't quite fit or aligned correctly.
    I bought a new one recently and thought this as well, but if you take the slide off that 'scraping' disappears, as someone said upthread it's the trigger bar hitting the firing pin safety plunger, needs polished out a bit or you can buy one already polished up.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

I've been using a lot of the Holosun 407 or 507's, they are always on sale at different places but I would invest in a C&H plate vs. the plastic ones that S&W uses.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The full size pistol looks exactly what I want for carry in Alaska. Look forward to additional reviews where they use full power Underwood of Buffalo Bore ammo.
    YouTube has a couple of reviews showing the M&P 10mm choking on heavier/hotter ammo. Just search "M&P 10mm malfunctions." One guy's optic flew off, but that might have been an installation error. Another guy tested the XDm Elite 10mm and it did better than his M&P 10. Only problem with that is, you'd have to own an XD. :)

Probably not a big deal, the M&P is a solid platform. Might need a little heavier recoil spring if you are going to use Underwood or Buffalo Bore stuff. I read that the factory recoil spring is 17 lbs, seems a little light for stout 10mm. S&W probably tuned it for the majority of factory 10mm ammo out there, which is really just .40 +P.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I just bought a 4.25 9mm P.C. version. Tall sights just like yours. It will be my first RDS gun too. What optic are you thinking about. I'm leaning towards a green got.
    I am not really sure yet. I noticed the youtube reviewers had mostly put those Holosun 507s on them. I am going to read some reviews. I had originally figured on getting something like the Trijicon.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    @Expat, if you are over 50 I think you will like a red dot. As with all things a red dot is a compromise and for me they are a desirable compromise. I am willing to give up the lowest time to first shot up close for increased accuracy at a little distance. For me a red dot addresses those conditions, as my eyes will no longer support precision at distance with iron sights.

I don't know what the 10MM optic interface is like, but you may want to read through this thread (https://www.indianagunowners.com/posts/8522732) and talk to C&H Precision about a plate.

I have two red dots now, a Holosun 509T and a DetaPoint Micro. I like both, with each fulfilling its purpose well.

Red dots require WORK however; especially from the holster. I have found they will also make you better with irons, as they force you to correct things which were buried by the proximity of irons to the bore and the relative coarseness of the sight picture. Checkout Aaron Cowen's RDS series on YouTube at Sage Dynamics well worth the time to watch.
    Thanks, I will look through that stuff and yes, 50 is a distant memory, even 60 is in the rear view.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    YouTube has a couple of reviews showing the M&P 10mm choking on heavier/hotter ammo. Just search "M&P 10mm malfunctions." One guy's optic flew off, but that might have been an installation error. Another guy tested the XDm Elite 10mm and it did better than his M&P 10. Only problem with that is, you'd have to own an XD. :)

Probably not a big deal, the M&P is a solid platform. Might need a little heavier recoil spring if you are going to use Underwood or Buffalo Bore stuff. I read that the factory recoil spring is 17 lbs, seems a little light for stout 10mm. S&W probably tuned it for the majority of factory 10mm ammo out there, which is really just .40 +P.
    Thanks for the update. I knew the Glock 20 had issues with the heavier hardcast lead ammo. Too bad about the S&W also having issues. Might have to take a hard look at the XD.

Currently have a Mossberg 500 and Rem 870 up in Alaska set up with Breneke slugs. I always though a Yugo M92 with sling and brace would be a real handy backwoods gun. Add a 20 round mag and red dot and it would be ideal. Of course, my friends up in Alaska would think I have gone full brain damage. I still trust a 7.62x39 braced Yugo more than a 10mm pistol.

MKArVof.jpg

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anyone seen one of these in stock lately?
    I gave up looking a few weeks back.
    Got tired of the excuses about why they couldn't get me one.
    Funny how in reading other forums, I see people saying they bought one.
    So they are out there, but for some reason they're "vaporware" around here.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I gave up looking a few weeks back.
    Got tired of the excuses about why they couldn't get me one.
    Funny how in reading other forums, I see people saying they bought one.
    So they are out there, but for some reason they're "vaporware" around here.
    They had 3 of them at Shoot Point Blank in Carmel about 3 weeks ago.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I actually had asked my LGS about them this morning.

Nope. He is not seeing any after the initial push.
    My concern is with all the new models S&W is coming out with, they made a run of these, and when they're gone it could be many months or more til they make more.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My concern is with all the new models S&W is coming out with, they made a run of these, and when they're gone it could be many months or more til they make more.

Resource allocation - gonna be a lot more buyers for the Shield Plus, 9mm M&Ps, etc. Now they have to make the CSX, shotguns and the like. I think you are probably right.

I’ll buy one if I walk up on one but I’m not opposed to waiting for the “PC” version either.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom