• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    Well, having picked up a walnut stock from a fellow INGOer, I've started the process of making myself a walnut/stainless takedown. I had to inlet the stock to clear the takedown hardware mounted to the front of the receiver, then found some gaps here and there that took a considerable amount of sanding to make things line up cleanly. Tomorrow evening, I'll be cutting the front half off the stock and start inletting a channel for the takedown hardware on the barrel. All in all, a fairly simple project so far.
    GIjCF4U.jpg

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I'd like to try this as well - if anyone here has a stock for sale PM me!

Pharmboy, what'd you pay for the stock if you don't mind my asking?

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    I paid $40 for the walnut stock, the same fellow has an ash 10/22 stock for $30 as well that he might part with. I just really like the look of darker wood with stainless. I plan on stripping the buttplate, barrel band and rail to raw aluminum and clearcoating them as well to keep the theme intact.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Would you PM his info or reach out to him for me? I'd be willing to take a peek at the stock if he can provide pics!

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    I'll be seeing him Monday (to pick up a seldom-used Burris Fastfire II for my 22/45), and I PM'ed you his username. It's not a factory contour stock, it's got no provision for the barrel band, but if that's not important to you, it was a nice looking stock.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I bought a shock last summer to do this and haven't got around to it. It doesn't look to bad to do. Looking forward to seeing how you do this. Tagged for interest. Great progress so far!

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    you can say it was me you got the stock from. pharmboy, i might be able to polish the aluminum pieces if you want. i'll show you some of my work when you come out monday.

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    Well, the inletting is done, the cutting is done, the finish is sanded off, the anno is stripped from the accessories. It's shaping up now.

t8QZky5.jpg

VYCst3g.jpg

asdjztM.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I can imagine. Especially around that tension ring. Did you try to see how it removes? I can't tell but I think it's pressed.

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    Oh, I just removed the anno from the Promag barrel band and Williams Ace in the Hole rail. The tension ring is steel, as it is a tension-bearing part, and I believe it's an interference fit that's held with a headless hex screw. As far as removing the black dye from the anodizing, I just soak stuff for a few days in dollar tree degreasing cleaner. You get clean silver parts and a cup of purple/blue liquid.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When I do mine I am going to probably leave the metal finish stock or go all black with moly resin. Just put tech sights on it. But things change around here. My son would like it purple. My girl, blue. But daddy's pays for it :-) I might win.

I'd like to bull barrel one. There is a article on rimfire I thing about a guy that did one with a Hogue over mold stock.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I think the aftermarket industry is afraid to hang any weight off the end of that tension ring till it's more proven. I would have guessed Green Mountain would have one by now. If someone doesn't do a commercial one in the next few years I'll suck it up and make one. Probably go with a fluted barrel to save weight.

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    Well, I just made an insert for the forend to mate with the takedown bits and put it together. Should do the drilling for the mounting hardware tomorrow night. Here's how it looks mocked up:
    DcpmJ4H.jpg

Top Bottom