• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Just remember guys it is not so much of what you say it is how you say it. That goes for both sides of this issue. When a simple LTCH check turns into a big bashing thread both party's have failed. Just as much one as the other.

WRONG!!!!! This entire thread wouldn't have exist if the supposed police officer would have followed the law. The OP did absolutely nothing wrong. If you are under the opinion that asserting your rights is the same as treating an officer like a jerk, then you have some major problems.

The "us versus them" mentality on INGO wouldn't exist as much if people like you didn't demand that law abiding citizens submit to unlawful requests.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    As an LEO, if I'm unsure of your identity, or believe that the LTCH is fake, I have the authority to make sure you're the person identified on the LTCH, since there ARE fake LTCH permits out there.

And your RAS is....?

You don't get to just pull these things out of your arse, you know.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    And you have proof or reasonable suspicion that it is not theirs?

That is what is so subjective about the incident and the law. What if there was some anomaly in the descriptors; What if someone was on the Subway diet and lost a lot of weight? Your LTCH could say 450 lbs with brown hair, but now you are 215 with no hair.

Easiest thing is not to even ask about it, I know. I have enough crap to deal with in my day, I don't need to go digging it up. Just being the devils advocate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If things were so traumatic for you why didn't you just punch him or something?:rolleyes: Good grief!! While your LTCH check might not have been done the ideal way it isn't the end of the flipping world. IMO your snippy and defiant type remarks only makes things worse. That was not the place to be addressing your concerns or making a scene. Wow I hope you are never in a real situation based on how this went down. Show the guy your pink slip and your ID and be done with it.

FWIW- The problem with a Indiana LTCH is the no picture part. Anyone can print out a fake and it is done quite commonly.:twocents:

Now that is about the most ridiculous response I have read.
    Punch him out...really....:rolleyes:

I do agree with the lack of photo ID on the LTCH but the OP is in boundary's with starting this thread. There have been less comprehensive threads over this very topic.

Edit...I feel that when detained and lectured by another "Person" LEO or not that is a waste of my valuable time. Officer needs to identify himself as such with proper ID.
    Do the drill within the confines of the law. If this is done then both party's need to be respectful etc.
    I will not receive a lecture from "someone" with out proof that someone has the authority to detain me. Once ID has been established the issue is moot. Move on.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    OP, Don't forget that the store likely also has video. Also there are recordings of the radio calls. Glad you got picture of LEO. If an officer refuses to identify himself next time, maybe you can get his vehicle description and plate number.

I still think you did a good job standing up for your rights. We all learn from these experiences. Thanks for posting.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    That is what is so subjective about the incident and the law. What if there was some anomaly in the descriptors; What if someone was on the Subway diet and lost a lot of weight? Your LTCH could say 450 lbs with brown hair, but now you are 215 with no hair.

Easiest thing is not to even ask about it, I know. I have enough crap to deal with in my day, I don't need to go digging it up. Just being the devils advocate.

If you have legitimate RAS then go for it. The law supports you in every way.

If you just don't like the way the LTC card and program work then bugger off :)

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Nope

Originally Posted by Echelon
    Serious question for a LEO or those in the know:
    These LEO interactions where you are stopped/hassled for carrying (Sloppy CC / OC). Even though no crime is committed, is a report completed? Is the name of the "offender" recorded on that report (if completed)?

We don't do a report either, also when you run someone in IDACS with say just a DL, dispatch will return back and advise if the person has a valid handgun permit. I get this everyday on traffic stops, I run your DLN and when I get the return dispatch will advise if you have a valid permit on file before I walk back up to the car.....

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Though I generally CC, I will defend you're right to OC just as I always wear a helmet on my motorcycle, I will defend your legal right (in IN) not to wear one.

I am nearly always supportive of LEO but this guy behaved like a douche.

He never provided proof of being a LEO - badge or ID.

Make an appointment to talk to the Chief in person. When you leave the call back number, let the operator know that someone is impersonating a police office in Noblesville - detaining citizens. You've got a picture. You "wanted to let them know first so they can address it before you contact the television stations."

I would strongly urge you to assume the position that this was someone impersonating an officer until proven different.

Wait for the... "No. No... he's one of ours" from the Chief.

EDIT TO ADD: While the fake-cop is in the mood for a lecture, you might want to suggest he select the DIET Coke from the soda bar when he waddles up there.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    So? That's your problem. Not mine. I'm not showing any further ID. Go ahead and arrest me and see what happens later. Carrying a handgun without a license is neither an infraction, nor an ordinance violation. So I don't have to ID myself. I provided a valid license. You can stand there and stamp your little feet all you want - it won't get you anywhere but named in a complaint and a lawsuit if you push it.

Everyone is going to sue everyone. Gosh I have heard you will hear from my lawyer so many times I lost count. Then as they are getting booked into the jail they can be seen burning up those yellowpages looking for a lawyer...any lawyer that will answer the phone that is.

Infraction or ordinance violation? What are you talking about?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Gosh I have heard you will hear from my lawyer so many times I lost count. Then as they are getting booked into the jail they can be seen burning up those yellowpages looking for a lawyer...any lawyer that will answer the phone that is.

A good reason to have a couple you know with their cards in your wallet.

Besides... dealing with a transgression like that thru my own workplace can be more fun. (News Television.)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Though I generally CC, I will defend you're right to OC just as I always wear a helmet on my motorcycle, I will defend your legal right (in IN) not to wear one.

Make an appointment to talk to the Chief in person. When you leave the call back number, let the operator know that someone is impersonating a police office in Noblesville - detaining citizens. You've got a picture. You "wanted to let them know first so they can address it before you contact the television stations."

I would strongly urge you to assume the position that this was someone impersonating an officer until proven different.

EDIT TO ADD: While the fake-cop is in the mood for a lecture, you might want to suggest he select the DIET Coke from the soda bar when he waddles up there.

+1....I am low or out of rep.....must be a stove pipe.

I agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not bashing but just a bit past some of the treatment we receive when following the law. This is why I CC.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Contact the Chief of the Noblesville PD. Show him the recording you made, and ask that he educate his officers better.
    Alternatively, you could contact INGO advertiser Tactical Firearms Training, aka attorney Guy Relford, and see if you have the case I think you may have, ref. IC 35-47-11.1

Blessings,
    Bill

I agree ....... the chief can't address the problem if he doesn't know it exists if you don't report this the officer will go do it to other law bidding gun owners. Great job knowing your rights and handling it the way that you did. +1 :patriot:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

Ah but we are only getting one side of the story. And no doubt a slanted story. I am willing to bet good money the op came off as hostile, defiant and aragant with the how dare you question me and my ltch attitude. I wasnt there but it takes two to tangle. Makes more sense to me.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This, better ID yourself as an officer before the conversation goes anywhere else.

J706 what is it with you hating people that carry? Once someone on foot shows you the pink permission slip the conversation is over. You do not have the right nor the authority to demand anything else.

Basically cops just hate to be told "no".

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Ah but we are only getting one side of the story. And no doubt a slanted story. I am willing to bet good money the op came off as hostile, defiant and aragant with the how dare you question me and my ltch attitude. I wasnt there but it takes two to tangle. Makes more sense to me.

While I don't disagree with the sentiment nor discount it out of hand, only one party in the conversation had the stated ability to detain.

If Chunky had provided proof of profession and authority - short of exposing the breast of an overly stressed polo - then my personal view would be more swayed by the "we only hear one side of the conversation" point. As it stands, he seemingly wanted to wave his stick around but without the potential repercussions if/since he overstepped his bounds.

In my mind, this makes him a coward.

Conceding that the events transpired remotely as described. Agreed, neither of us were there.

Top Bottom