• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I walked down to the mail box and back in a polo, summer pants and a windbreaker. I walked at a steady pace and had a knit hat that I put on after going half way.

i won't try that again. The exposure charts are spot on. I normally dress light all winter, but if I had a wreck and could not get my warm clothes on I would be in trouble. The test tonight confirmed it.

This morning I did in in coveralls to get the paper and then plow and never even felt a chill.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    ^^^ This is why I keep boots, gloves, hat and winter clothes in the vehicle. You might not breakdown while wearing your deer hunting gear. It might be when you are wearing your Italian loafers, thin socks, dress slacks and a silk shirt (well, if you were on your way to the disco, but you know what I mean). It always seems to happen on the one day you are not dressed for it.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I had a thought about putting ski goggles in the truck today. With the temps and blowing snow, and wearing glasses, bad combination. Just a thought I had.

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    How effective are ski goggles at keeping your glasses from freezing/fogging up? That always happens to me in the winter. I've worn the military goggles in the cold and they fog up as well. Today was especially bad while I was taking my dog for her evening walk. I was wearing my full winter gear with just a slit for my eyes exposed but the wind was really biting at my exposed skin and my glasses became useless.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    It doesn't really matter how many layers of clothes you have on, it's freakin' cold outside. I can't wait for it to get back into the 60's, and that won't be soon enough

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I'm a teacher and dress in a thin shirt, pants, and tie everyday. That's why I carry winter clothes in the trunk. I'm not going to be stranded in substandard clothes. It pays to be prepared.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I had a thought about putting ski goggles in the truck today. With the temps and blowing snow, and wearing glasses, bad combination. Just a thought I had.

I just bought a pair from Amazon after my weekend walk. It was sleeting and snowing with high winds and my face was the only part that was uncomfortable.

A couple years ago I bought a bulk pack of milsurp wool blankets, I keep 4 in my truck, and gave one to each kid and the wife to keep in their vehicles. I go overboard with this type of thing, I have the wool blankets, a 0* mummy bag, extra coats, gloves, hats, boots, socks, long underware, all in the truck. ArmyNavy sales and Centerfire systems are great places to getcold weather gear, for cheap.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

One area where I have fallen down and procrastinated is in getting an "emergency winter clothing kit" for the car. Naturally to be put in every fall and taken out in the spring.

I have a basic pair of gloves, OK hat, and military scarf. Maybe an extra layer of moderate clothes, but nothing special. I know I am lacking in boots.

Being off of work for several months has put a crimp in my budget. So right now economy is more important than quality.

If I wanted to get an adequate pair of boots that is affordable, what would you recommend and where would be the best place to purchase? I am in Fort Wayne.

Keeping economy in mind, if someone said you can get an OK pair of boots for $50, but a really good pair for only $15 more, I would do the $15. What I am expecting is an OK pair would be about $60 and a great pair would be $200+, which I cannot do. However I could be wrong which is why I am asking.

Or could I do an average pair of boots and get an affordable pair of electric socks? I don't think the batteries would hold up for the winter so I am loathe to count on them in an emergency.

I would like to hear any thoughts on boots or winter gear in general.

Regards,

Doug

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    To All,

One area where I have fallen down and procrastinated is in getting an "emergency winter clothing kit" for the car. Naturally to be put in every fall and taken out in the spring.

I have a basic pair of gloves, OK hat, and military scarf. Maybe an extra layer of moderate clothes, but nothing special. I know I am lacking in boots.

Being off of work for several months has put a crimp in my budget. So right now economy is more important than quality.

If I wanted to get an adequate pair of boots that is affordable, what would you recommend and where would be the best place to purchase? I am in Fort Wayne.

Keeping economy in mind, if someone said you can get an OK pair of boots for $50, but a really good pair for only $15 more, I would do the $15. What I am expecting is an OK pair would be about $60 and a great pair would be $200+, which I cannot do. However I could be wrong which is why I am asking.

Or could I do an average pair of boots and get an affordable pair of electric socks? I don't think the batteries would hold up for the winter so I am loathe to count on them in an emergency.

Regards,

Doug

I have had really good luck with the Rothco Brand boots. I feel they are a great value compared to other brands out there. Many places online sell them and most gun stores can order Rothco products.

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    You'll probably get a bunch of answers on what type of boot to keep in your car and rightfully so. I guess the question might be better answered if you know whether or not you will be standing around waiting for help or will you be hoofing it home? I keep a pair of black mickey boots in my vehicle. You can get them for under $50 at surplus stores or even online, sometimes even new, shipping can be expensive, especially on Ebay, so watch out for that. I'm not saying they are the be all end all, they have their limitations, but for a decent price you can throw them in your car, forget about them and keep your toes from falling off should you need them. Keep in mind they were designed to be used with the normal issue sock. Most places will recommend that you buy a size smaller than your normal size. I would say that is mostly true as long as you aren't wearing big bulky socks. I wish they came in half sizes, but of course you should try some on to be sure.

Here's some info:
    Mickey Mouse Boots

One place of many to get them:
    Used U.S. Mil. Mickey Boots with Valve, Black - 21076, Winter & Snow Boots at Sportsman's Guide

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    some oxygen activated hand warmer packs, a la Hot Hands, bought by the bulk pack and an extreme cold weather sleeping bag could be a lifesaver in a stranded car in this weather. The M/M boots work but good absorbent sox are a must. Wool for me and some spares.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm fortunate in that several jobs and the military provided me with a fairly wide range of boots - from Thinsulate(TM) and Kevlar(TM) lined boots, to GoreTex(TM) lined intermediate weight boots, to hot-weather boots. I've worn the intermediate and cold-weather boots a bunch this winter, but because my job has me spending time both inside and outside, my feet tend to sweat and would get cold if I had to spend significant amounts of time outside. Understand, they wouldn't get cold to the point of numb toes, but damp socks are uncomfortable in any weather. The past few days I rediscovered what my dad knew fifty years ago - a good pair of shoes and a pair of overboots (in this case a pair of NEOS I bought on closeout) keep my feet warmer than my insulated boots. For emergencies not involving tactical issues, a good set of old-fashioned galoshes, sized a bit large, are relatively inexpensive, lightweight, and fairly durable. NEOS are the relatively high-tech version of the old fashioned rubber galoshes, except done in waterproof nylon with velcro or zipped fasteners.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My new cold weather jacket is a Columbia 'interchange'. It's not one of their $250 jackets but it worked well today. After work I had a long sleeve tshirt and pullover sweater underneath the jacket. Underneath my jeans were a pair of Wolverine base layer. I recently went with those behind the head ear warmer things-quite the live saver and a knit hat over those. As long as I was working the snowblower or snow shovel I stayed warm.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Did a 4.1 mile walk tonight from 8-9:15pm; Sorel boots, light windproof pants, t-shirt, fleece, Columbia 'Double Whammy' jacket, balaclava, and ushanka (Ruskie) hat. Warm as toast and enjoyed the stroll the whole way. Sorel and Columbia jacket are about 20 years old. Wife bought me a new pair before Christmas for $65 or so but I'll keep wearing the old ones till they wear out (probably never). Old Sorel's are 'Fabrique en Canada', new ones are 'Made in China'.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have merino wool socks, thinner ones for spring, summer and fall. Thicker ones (think ski socks) for winter. Merino wool is the best stuff for your feet, keeps them warm, not itchy, wicking and do not make your feet sweat, odor absorbent, and work when wet too. I have a couple pairs of older Bates goretex boots from my Air Force days and have bought several more off of eBay for less than $20 a pair. I keep a pair of them just about everywhere. One set in my truck, one in the garage, another in the basement, another in my winter bag, ect... you get the idea. They keep my feet try in snow and water, the socks keep them warm. I have found merino wool socks on sale at places like Bass Pro or Rural King and stocked up on them. I have pairs of them scattered all over the place too.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I spent about 7 minutes filling up the gas tank this evening and sweet mother it was cold! Just the business casual clothes, loafers, and light weight jacket. It is a wake up call when it is this cold out.

I always have the hiking boots and winter gear in the back of the van just in case. I hit a lot of thrift stores and this past summer I loaded up on a great down jacket and a couple 100% wool blankets. To and from work I am ok with getting a bit chilly running into a store and such but if I have to shoe leather it back home I am prepared with warm gear from head to toe.

And I still see folks in shorts every day and there are always kids walking with their jackets unzipped and no gloves like they don't have a care in the world. My parents would have slapped me silly if I left the house that way.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My wife and I dared each other that if it ever got below "0" we would both streak one lap around the house wearing nothin but rubber boots.
    Well, it plunged below "0", so we ran around outside the house. She went in first and locked the door. I stood there for an entire minute before she opened it up. She thought it was sooo funny.

That was the longest shriveling minute of my life. :nailbite:

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    To All,

Regards,

Doug

Try Sierra Trading Post - Love the Deals. Live the Adventure. all kinds of clearance outdoor gear.

Top Bottom