• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Only ever owned one, but it shot great. Probably put 200-300 rounds through it. Bought it used from a guy who knows and takes care of his firearms. It was my first AR-style rifle but seemed to be very well built. Sold it to "upgrade" to an AR-10 but that's a debate for another thread. I defer to those with more Bushmaster experience but I would only ask if it's possible the gun dealers with negative opinions had less-than-objective viewpoints for one reason or another, i.e. "certified retailers" of competing manufacturers' products, etc.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have an AR with a bushmaster lower and colt upper...I don't know if that counts, but I never had any problems with it.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Since the Remington acquisition they are not really Bushmasters. They are a rifle made by god knows who and stamped with either Remington, Bushmaster, or DPMS and assembled somewhere (probably in the DPMS facility). I personally would never own another.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Johnny C, Please don't tell that to the Bushmasters I own!

Several years ago I went shooting with Shooter521 and after hitting a gong at 100 yards with 100 shots in a row from every position I could think of, Mark looked at me and said something about my boring rifle. I was shooting a standard 20 inch A2 just like the military carry, and it has always been flawless and amazingly accurate.

Oh, and the 100 rounds at 100 yards was done with iron sights only. That rifle made me look good!

I have 3 Bushies and would trust my life to any of them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't own a bushmaster, but have handles a bunch. They are very solid. Don't let Colt fanbois talk down to a Bushy. I'd have no issue taking a Bushy to war.

But they've already been there done that...

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    The people who have high priced AR will say they arent very good so before they chime in ill add my :twocents: I have a Colt a Bushmaster and one I built with all the high speed low drag parts money can buy. IMHO All 3 are about the same. RELIABLE ! And in the end thats what matters in any gun. If everytime I pull the trigger it goes bang then its go to go no matter whos name is on the side. :dunno:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Bushmaster AR's (made prior to the remington tranition(s)) are quality rifles.

Keep in mind that some get picky with steel cased ammo after 750-1,000 rounds if you don't get in there and clean the chamber out.

As far as "taking it to war"... I wouldn't recommend steel cased ammo in any AR for SHTF, so it's a moot point. Brass cased? I wouldn't hesitate... if I was limited to an AR platform anyway ;)

Gamez makes a valid point about the recent crop, and I don't have any experience with them or enough knowledge about what is going on with them. Since the SCAR and ACR are out, I don't have any interest in ever purchasing another traditional AR again.

Personally, I'd rather have a pre-remington bushmaster XM15e2s than a dpms/oly/rock river ect. ect.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Can serial #s tell age; early or later?

I have a Bushmaster Carbon-15, 7-in. pistol, serial 2Ø-ØØxxx. In the past 8 mo I have put >2000 rds down range w/ no hiccup. These are usually in 500-rd trips. I'm guessing that my pistol is an earlier one. Is there any way to tell?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've got two, including a Remington stamped Bushmaster. (R15 VTR). Both are excellent guns and have had zero issues. The R15 is a tack driver that shoots 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with factory ammo.

I wouldn't trade either, at this point.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Bushmaster A4 upper. Not my first choice, but at the time was one of 2 or 3 companies offering a 20 inch 1/7 CL government barreled upper.

So far I have no complaints and the price was right. Of course I bought it from PK Firearms who assembled and test fired it. It can certainly make you have a bad day.

20110523102209.jpg

20110504162614.jpg

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Hit and miss. Run them thru a carbine coarse with high round count and if they make it they will be good to go. A LOT don't. Plinking and low stressed situations and they should be ok. YMMV but I'm not willing to bet my life on them.

Bob

Top Bottom