• Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm a big fan of the M&P9 FS. I have big chunky hands and fingers that fit perfectly around the grip. I do not like the full size of the frame. I'd like to hear opinions about the M&P9Compact and M&P Shield 9mm from those who have already owned either or both of those models and especially from those who have chosen to carry either or both models as an EDC. I'd also like to hear about what holster you use to carry if you do carry. Thanks!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Just my opinion, but if you buy an MP9C, get one without the thumb safety. I had one for a short time and did not like the trigger at all. My MP9FS did not have the thumb safety and after breaking it in has a great trigger.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Just my opinion, but if you buy an MP9C, get one without the thumb safety. I had one for a short time and did not like the trigger at all. My MP9FS did not have the thumb safety and after breaking it in has a great trigger.
    The thumb safety on my M&P9 FS was directly in the way of my other thumb when gripping it with two hands. I bought the model with the thumb safety so the first thing I did was have it removed.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Former owner of a 9c... I traded it for a 9fs. Nothing at all wrong with it, but it was just a bit bigger than I wanted for IWB carry.

I have a shield now... love carrying it!

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I have owned and carried both. My current EDC is the Shield -only because it is easier to conceal both OWB and IWB. My overall preference would be the 9c for mag capacity and accuracy. I sold the 9c because it did not have the external safety, and find myself shopping for one with the thumb safety...

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have a 9c. Similar in many ways to the Fs except shorter :)
    You're welcome to try it out anytime if you're ever around the westside :)

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    For bigger clothing I carry my Glock 19 (roughly same size as 9c) in a RCS Phantom
    For lighter or tighter fitting clothing it's my Shield in a Crossbreed Minituck

DrWin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I own and carry both the full-size and Shield. Lately, though, my primary EDC has been the Shield-- mainly because it's so easy to conceal. (I'm still a little paranoid about printing.) I use an IWB Raven holster for my Shield, and it's practically invisible underneath an untucked shirt. It's a pretty comfortable setup. I tried the same holster in a more AIWB-like position and it was okay. Maybe it would've been better with a dedicated AIWB holster.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I was wondering the same thing. I am in the market for one or the other, can't afford both. This thread has been helpful.

And, mmmm...bacon

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I never held the M&P9c but I do own the shield. My glove size is around a L to XL and the shield feels good in my hand. However I vote bacon as I can not give a true review without holding the M&P9c.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    The overall height of both are the same and the Shield has more OAH with the 8 round mag.
    The Shield is slightly slimmer and weigh a few ounces less. The 9c takes the 17 round magazines and theres a no safety option. Plus 12+1 > 7+1.

I am pleasantly surprised with my 9c. When Im loafing around at home I carry it in a Armordillo Concealment OWB or Xfer with TLR-1 attached(w/ home fabricated rail key), 12 rounder in gun with a 17 rounder @ 930.

I looked at getting a Shield for the pocket to supplement the 9c but I think Ima go with a CM9.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Tagged for interest. I'm debating the same thing, though since I already have a FS and a Pro, I may eventually end up with both the Shield and the 9c to complete the set.

I like the idea of the 9c for mag interchangeability since I already have quite a few FS mags, but I think the Shield would be better for deep concealability when needed.

My FS disappears very well in my MTAC, but I'd still like a deeeeeep concealment pistol for those times where I have to go somewhere I wouldn't go unarmed but being found out would be unfavorable.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've never shot the shield but I've carried the m&p9c since January and I absolutely love it. I carry in a crossbreed IWB and you cant notice it at 4:00 position. I weigh 170 and can CC with a t-shirt pretty easily. I have played with the shield and it seems like a great option too; however, I have yet to feel a gun that is as comfortable as my 9c. The shield feels a little small for my hands. FWIW I have over 1200 rounds through mine since January and have yet to have a FTF or FTE. It has run flawlessly with everything I've put through it. (Hornady Zombie Max, Federal, Winchester WB, Federal, and mainly TULA because it is cheap to shoot.)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Tagged for interest. I'm debating the same thing, though since I already have a FS and a Pro, I may eventually end up with both the Shield and the 9c to complete the set.

I like the idea of the 9c for mag interchangeability since I already have quite a few FS mags, but I think the Shield would be better for deep concealability when needed.

My FS disappears very well in my MTAC, but I'd still like a deeeeeep concealment pistol for those times where I have to go somewhere I wouldn't go unarmed but being found out would be unfavorable.

I thought the exact same thing about the mag interchangeability when I was making my decision but even though I have a couple 17rd mags with the x-grip extension, I never use it. The ergonomics is thrown out the window when I try to use the 17 rounder, that may just be my personal preference though.

I only use the 12 round mags (with pinky extension). I have Ameriglo night sights and stippled grips and It is an all around great gun.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I have a Shield 9 and FS 9, and have shot my dad's Compact 9 multiple times. I much prefer the Shield over the 9C. I shoot it better and it just feels better in my hand. The height of the 9C doesn't work well with the width in my opinion. That width is fine for me on the FS because it's stretched out vertically to get your whole hand on there. I have fairly long, skinny fingers and the Shield, though it is thin, just feels a lot better to me. I can get my pinky on the grip on the Shield with the flat baseplate, but not on the 9C unless the extended mag is in because it has slightly less height. The Shield also conceals really well. I usually carry either at 4 o'clock in a Henry Holsters tuckable kydex holster, or AIWB in a Henry Holsters kydex appendix holster. The AIWB has become my preferred carry method for the Shield. I carry it with the 8-round mag to allow for better grip, as it's harder to grip the gun when drawing from AIWB with the 7 round mag. It's harder to get my fingers between my belt and the gun with the 7 rounder. It still conceals just fine even with the added length.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Neck and neck. Ill pass on the bacon though, Lol.
    This poll is shaping up to validate guns are as much of a personal choice as pizza toppings.

Top Bottom