• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I don't get it - the army loves it, but few carry them for SD, and I don't think I've ever seen on in competition.

What gives? I thought they feel good and have decent controls so why doesn't it sell better?
    :dunno:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Haven't heard of many negative reviews of the 92FS. Possibly the weight?

Beretta 92FS: 34oz
    Glock 19: 21oz

I have one and that is my only complaint about it.

I will carry it occasionally OWB in a paddle holster, mostly around my property.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I can't answer those questions, but I have one in OD green, it's one of 2000 made and I love it! I have only put 30 rounds through it for accuracy checks and it has been a safe queen since. Just can't bring myself to put it on a holster and possibly take away from the finish.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A friend of mine had one and it was a lot of fun to shoot. But I didn't like it enough to go buy one. Most people are looking for something they can easily conceal. They want something that's a little lighter. The 92FS is a full size handgun. It is big and somewhat heavy. It has that buggered up slide that you can't get ahold of. Personally, I think it comes in a distant second, in its category of full size all steel 9mm, to the CZ 75B. If you expand that to all 9mm it is, IMHO, way down the list. Still a nice gun and I am certain many people feel differently than I do.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I think they are ok as a service pistol but for personal use I think they are to big and clunky. Plus, the slide can fly off and put yer eye out! :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Got one I've had for a very VERY long time. It was one of the last ones allowed to sell from IPD. Had it re-worked and the kit put in to change to SA/DA from DA only. My only complaint is the thumb safety is only a decock and not both.

I've shot it and carried it for probably 18 years or more. It's deadly accurate and easy to opperate. A little heavy, but then my generation knew nothing of plastic guns. I like both.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think a lot of it has to do with single/double action trigger. Many people don't like that the trigger pull is different on the first round than it is on the other 14 in the mag. Glocks, XD's, M&P's, and whatever else seem to have gotten around that.

Most of the owners are vets who bought one out of nostalgia. Beretta's are good guns, but they aren't the newest wiz bang doo dad with a laser on it so many people walk right on past it to something new.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I bought one 20 years ago and still have it. I had been issued one in the service and I was familiar with it. It is a decent gun but I agree that there are better choices now like the CZ-75, Glock and XD.

Now when I dust off the Beretta and shoot it it does feel heavy and the grip is a little thick for my hand.

Not a bad handgun but not the best anymore either.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Great gun, the only thing I have ever heard anyone say is bad is the weight. I've always preferred my Ruger p89, but would use a Beretta 92fs anyday.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ... I don't think I've ever seen on in competition.

They were popular in the practical competition circuits in the end of the 90s, early '00s timeframe. Ernest Langdon won IDPA nationals w/ an Elite model. Ben Stoeger won uspsa nationals in '11 and came in second (top US competitor though) in '12 w/ a 92.

I competed w/ either an FS or an Elite for ~ 10 years... made master in idpa (winning a couple state matches, 3rd in the '07 nationals) and master in uspsa (a few trophies here and there).

I recently switched to glock just because I don't like the safety of the FS and Beretta no longer offers a competition model (or any "G" model for that matter).

They are among the most reliable and durable pistols out there. They just aren't the latest technology or the "in" thing any more.

There are aspects of many other guns that make them more suited than the 92 to competition.... lower bore axis, changeable front site, etc.

-rvb

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I love mine (M9). I don't carry it because it's a heavy/thick/large gun. These days there are some better options for carry weapons. Although it will be the gun that I carry on my hunting pack next year.

It's a fun range gun.

nonumber.jpg

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The pistol is large and you need large hands and/or long fingers to operate the pistol. Anyway, that is the reason I sold mine. I have short thick german hands/fingers.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    The pistol is large and you need large hands and/or long fingers to operate the pistol. Anyway, that is the reason I sold mine. I have short thick german hands/fingers.
    This is the main reason I am a CZ man over the Beretta. My hands arent particularly large, like my brother's (he owns a 96). There isnt really a quality nor an accuracy issue. The mags have decent capacity and the gun operates smoothly and flawlessly for its whole life in my experience.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    So I don't get it - the army loves it, but few carry them for SD, and I don't think I've ever seen on in competition.

What gives? I thought they feel good and have decent controls so why doesn't it sell better?
    :dunno:

No love for the 92 series?

You must be hanging with the wrong crowd!

I carry one on a regular basis.... and though my 92G shows all kinds of wear and tear, it shoots as well as it did out of the box. The wear and tear just goes to show how much it is loved!

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I love the 92FS and the 96 for that matter. As far as weight goes it doesn't bother me a bit. Just an absolute pleasure to shoot. In fact I put 50 rounds through mine this afternoon when I got home from work.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom