Plinking allowed on Priv Prop in Northwest, IN?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edbreyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    We're thinking of buying a house on about 10 acres in Northwest Indiana - currently looking at Wheatfield, Lake Village & Lowell area.

I want to set up a target/plinking range (with suitable backstop) - so one requirement for wherever we buy is that there's no law against discharging a firearm on your own property. I've asked our realtor to look into this - and will likely call the local police dept once we find something that interests us - but it would be nice to know early on so I can better direct our search.

So, can anybody provide some insight or advice?

Last edited:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    It's my understanding that you are permitted to discharge your firearms (safely of course) as long as you are outside city limits. Unless that particular county has a specific ordinance, you should be good to go.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    like cbr1000rr said, outside city limits, and you're good.

Stupid example. I live within the town of St. John, if I was a half mile to the south, I'd be in unicorporated Cedar Lake and I could shoot in my yard. :(

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We're thinking of buying a house on about 10 acres in Northwest Indiana - currently looking at Wheatfield, Lake Village & Lowell area.

I want to set up a target/plinking range (with suitable backstop) - so one requirement for wherever we buy is that there's no law against discharging a firearm on your own property. I've asked our realtor to look into this - and will likely call the local police dept once we find something that interests us - but it would be nice to know early on so I can better direct our search.

I can only speak to property in unincorporated LAKE COUNTY, as each county may have its own rules. But in LAKE COUNTY, provided you are in an unincorporated area, you may have a private range on your property so long as your property is at least 1 acre. You must also comply with NOISE ordinances, here in LAKE COUNTY that would allow you to shoot until 10:00pm. Honestly I can't recall how early you can start, I think it may be 8:00am.

The Lake County Council took up this very issue 2 years ago. Basically they said its legal, please be very safe, keep your bullets on your own property.

It's my understanding that you are permitted to discharge your firearms (safely of course) as long as you are outside city limits. Unless that particular county has a specific ordinance, you should be good to go.
    like cbr1000rr said, outside city limits, and you're good.

Stupid example. I live within the town of St. John, if I was a half mile to the south, I'd be in unicorporated Cedar Lake and I could shoot in my yard. :(
    It is NOT quite that simple. Each COUNTY has the authority to set limits. There may be a 'distance' limit that requires you not have a range with "x" feet of an occupied dwelling or structure. Lake County considered having a 1000' minimum distance to a dwelling, then reconsidered and changed it to a proposed 500', then finally tossed it out completely. Other counties may have limits and I know of some areas where this is law. Also there may be a minimum property size standard, again Lake County its 1 acre.

Somewhere here on INGO I have previously posted the Lake County information, including a copy of the letter from my county commissioner.

But do NOT assume that its legal just because you are outside of the city limits.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'd also add: be a good neighbor. Assuming you find no ordinances, etc that prohibit your shooting on your own property, if there are other homes close by, you might want to consider how your shooting will affect them. If you happen to pick a spot with some anti-gun people around, they can make your life miserable...even more so, if you're inconsiderate.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'd also add: be a good neighbor. Assuming you find no ordinances, etc that prohibit your shooting on your own property, if there are other homes close by, you might want to consider how your shooting will affect them. If you happen to pick a spot with some anti-gun people around, they can make your life miserable...even more so, if you're inconsiderate.

Ditto. And make sure you check Noise and Nusience ordinances in addition to shooting/gun/hunting ordinances. Depending on your jurisdiction you may find out that shooting is allowed but being a 'nusience' may not be allowed and you could get smacked inadvertantly.

Again, I have laid out the simplistic way to shoot in Lake County, I cannot speak to the other counties.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was once told by a county cop that you need to be 250ft away from a house.

A lot of people on this forum have been told thing by cops.
    Open Carry is illegal.
    The LTCH is for your house only.
    You can't carry in a park.
    You can't carry while voting.
    Etc.

Make sure to verify your source. Whether its a cop, or something you found on here.
    You're the one who might go to jail.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I was once told by a county cop that you need to be 250ft away from a house.

Open Carry is illegal.
    Etc.

Make sure to verify your source. Whether its a cop, or something you found on here.

Not sure if St. Joe county has a "250 foot rule" but as I mentioned earlier, it is up to the county to set the rules for this type of stuff so its certainly possible. That said, while I respect police officers I do not recommend that you take their word as gospel when it comes to legal advice.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

Edbreyer, Welcome to INGO. With regard to your above question. I am no land owner or lawyer or law enforcement official...but MAN be careful. I say this because here in Cass County we just recently and a situation where someone had a target/plinking range (with suitable backstop) on their private property in the country. Multiple stray bullets from said range somehow went through a ladies house that was almost a mile away and just missed hitting her child. That person/persons may now be facing criminal charges. FBI is still investigating.Not suggesting you not have a range just be careful. Just my:twocents:

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    thanks to the lovely yuppies from the peoples' republic of Illinois (who reside in the greater winfield area), there is a NO SHOOTING ordnance on the books. the county wanted to ban hunting, but the lawyers told them only the dnr can prohibit it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Open Carry is illegal.
    Etc.

I said I was told. Not that it was the law. Big difference!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    thanks to the lovely yuppies from the peoples' republic of Illinois (who reside in the greater winfield area), there is a NO SHOOTING ordnance on the books. the county wanted to ban hunting, but the lawyers told them only the dnr can prohibit it.

The NO SHOOTING ordinance would not be a COUNTY ordinance, it would be a Winfield ordinance. The COUNTY did NOT ban shooting in any UN-incorporated area. Each incorporated jurisdiction, of which Winfield is one, sets its own rules.

Further, I don't believe that there has NEVER been a COUNTY attempt to ban hunting within the county, but again, an incorporated jurisdiction may choose to try to ban anything it chooses.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Seems most towns/cities have no shooting laws.

Porter County is as you described.

"People who live in unincorporated Porter County -- the areas outside towns and cities -- are allowed to hunt, target shoot and otherwise shoot weapons, said Porter County police Lt. Chris Eckert.

However, Eckert said people are required to have the proper backstop while target shooting, and they must not endanger any people or property while hunting or shooting."

I had a couple of deputies visit me when i was out shooting once and confirm this. A new neighbor called them. They asked me what we were shooting at and could we miss. Then told me "ain't nothing wrong with shooting".

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    The NO SHOOTING ordinance would not be a COUNTY ordinance, it would be a Winfield ordinance. The COUNTY did NOT ban shooting in any UN-incorporated area. Each incorporated jurisdiction, of which Winfield is one, sets its own rules.

Further, I don't believe that there has NEVER been a COUNTY attempt to ban hunting within the county, but again, an incorporated jurisdiction may choose to try to ban anything it chooses.

happened about 3 yrs ago.

Lake County Indiana passed Ordinance 1312A, June 9th, 2009 that states

" That the lake County Council now prohibits the discharge of a firearm for the purpose of target shooting or practicing shooting with the firearm within 1,000 feet of a residence."

So if you target shoot on your own property, you have to be 1,000 feet from your own home. This applies to pellet guns, BB guns, varmit shooting and hunting as well.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    happened about 3 yrs ago.

Lake County Indiana passed Ordinance 1312A, June 9th, 2009 that states

" That the lake County Council now prohibits the discharge of a firearm for the purpose of target shooting or practicing shooting with the firearm within 1,000 feet of a residence."

So if you target shoot on your own property, you have to be 1,000 feet from your own home. This applies to pellet guns, BB guns, varmit shooting and hunting as well.

NOPE that is NOT the final action.

That got killed.

In fact it took almost no effort to kill it because the board, specifically Larry Blanchard, was hostile to the distance rule. That "1000 foot rule" was published in the newspaper. And the proposal was also published on the .gov website. But it NEVER PASSED.

The actual ordinance that PASSED was 1314B, it was PASSED on August 11th.

The passed and signed ordinance actually reads:
    "That the Lake County Council now prohibits the discharge of a firearm for the sole purpose of target shooting or practice shooting within 200 feet of the property lines of a platted, approved and developed multi-lot subdivision of one acre lots or less, as defined in the Lake County Code."​

NOTE that this ONLY applies to lots in subdivisions and only requires 1 acre. If you are OUTSIDE of a platted subdivision -- OR -- if you are inside a subdivision but have greater than 1 acre, then this does not apply to you. Note also that there is no requirement for a backstop (however if you don't have one & your bullets go into your neighbor's property then you are liable in a civil court!!!). Also be aware that this ordinance specifically "repeals and replaces" Ordinance No. 1312A.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    NOPE that is NOT the final action.

That got killed.

In fact it took almost no effort to kill it because the board, specifically Larry Blanchard, was hostile to the distance rule. That "1000 foot rule" was published in the newspaper. And the proposal was also published on the .gov website. But it NEVER PASSED.

The actual ordinance that PASSED was 1314B, it was PASSED on August 11th.

The passed and signed ordinance actually reads:
    "That the Lake County Council now prohibits the discharge of a firearm for the sole purpose of target shooting or practice shooting within 200 feet of the property lines of a platted, approved and developed multi-lot subdivision of one acre lots or less, as defined in the Lake County Code."​

NOTE that this ONLY applies to lots in subdivisions and only requires 1 acre. If you are OUTSIDE of a platted subdivision -- OR -- if you are inside a subdivision but have greater than 1 acre, then this does not apply to you. Note also that there is no requirement for a backstop (however if you don't have one & your bullets go into your neighbor's property then you are liable in a civil court!!!). Also be aware that this ordinance specifically "repeals and replaces" Ordinance No. 1312A.

That s more sensible. Having to be 1000' from your own house would be idiotic. Not that the .gov is above passing idiotic laws.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP you might also want to check local zoning ordinances. Some counties might require approval from the BZA to construct a shooting range. What they would be referring to is a public range; however, "shooting range" is very loosely defined in the IC.

Top Bottom