Plinking allowed on Priv Prop in Northwest, IN?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    That s more sensible. Having to be 1000' from your own house would be idiotic. Not that the .gov is above passing idiotic laws.

Well if you figure that a typical 10 acre plot of land is roughly 410 feet wide by 1030 feet long then the original proposal would have totally banned shooting on even 10 acres. 1 acre is roughly 206' by 206' square. Realistically the FINAL VERSION of the ordinance bans shooting on all properties of 1 acre or less; I don't have an issue with that.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I wager if you're in a rural area, and you spend an evening out there, you'll hear someone shooting already. That's how I knew I was home when we were checking out the 34 acre property we were interested in. :)

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It would be kinda cool to build a long tunnel in the basement through the back yard as a gun range.

Even with building permits to construct the tunnel, I dunno how legal the shooting would be.

edbreyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the information/insight!

There are several properties in unincorporated Lake and Newton counties that we are considering. The fact that bureaucrats in Lake County even proposed the 1,000 foot distance requirement makes me worried that Lake County could be a few "bad" elections away from stopping landowners from target shootong (even on ~10 acres). Am I being ridiculous?

I'm coming from Cook/Crook County so you can imagine how sick I am of anti-gun rhetoric and laws! However, so far I prefer the properties in Lake County due to their typography and relative closeness to Cedar Lake. Dang, big decisions are never easy! ;^)

Last edited:

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Come on down to Newton County. My inlaws have 41 acres south of Fair Oaks Dairy and we have up to 150yrds cleared for shooting. We have a big dirt backstop and than there is several hundred acres of farmland behind it. I live in an Subdivision in Lincoln Township Unincorporated and hear people shoot sometimes off in the distance. Down here, it isn't a big deal as long as you are smart and responsible. The local LEOs are really awesome here too (i was a reserve).

edbreyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Miketodd

Miketodd,

Thanks for the invite! ;^)

I'm heading back down tomorrow (Tue) to check out three properties in three counties: Newton (outside Lake Village), Jasper (outside Demotte) and Lake (outside Lowell).

If one of those doesn't do it for me - I'll just keep looking until I find something that does. Fortunately, I have the luxury of no deadline.

Top Bottom