Garage door fun: manually releasing garage door from the "up" position...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    So, my opener went belly up this morning. Problem is, it was 80% or more "open". I believe it is a stripped nylon gear inside the mechanism (Craftsman 1/2 HP, chain-style from late 90s) based on my amateur analysis.

I was going to release it manually to close it -- and yes, I know doing so in the "up" position means the SOB is gonna come down like a ton of bricks, but I think I have that part mitigated -- but the damn rope on the manual release broke and I have tried inserting some paracord but it isn't releasing for some reason.

Ideas on how to get it to release are welcome.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Should be a pin on the door hinge you can remove easily.... If the door has been adjusted properly periodically, it should stay static.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If your springs are set right the door will move easily. If it doesn't, it could be why your gear failed.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Pull the pin where the opener's lift bracket meets the door.

Bottom-left of this pic, right above the yellow sticker on the door:
    Garage-Door-Opener-Release.jpg

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    OK, I will give this a shot, but will wait for someone else to get to the house in case it kills me. ;)

For the record, in case the spring is broken, I am going to place several NASCAR tires in the path of the door to block it from hitting the ground as hard as it would otherwise.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Where the rope is tied should just pull down to disengage. Have someone push up on the door a little while you pull. Pulling the pin works too.

49CJ3A

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Take a 2x4 or a long pole and prop under the door to take the pressure off the lift. Then try pulling the manual release or pins on either side of the lift arm. The springs should hold the door or let it drift down slowly. If they were sprung its not likely the door would have opened anyway.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Just pull the pin out of the left side.

It looks like the release needs pulled at an angle towards the garage door.

Take a 2x4 or a long pole and prop under the door to take the pressure off the lift. Then try pulling the manual release or pins on either side of the lift arm. The springs should hold the door or let it drift down slowly. If they were sprung its not likely the door would have opened anyway.

OK, since two of you guys said it, I figured it would be safe... :laugh:

Rep to both of you, I pulled the pin then gently slid the door down!

Found the parts I need, well at least the parts I am going to try repairing the opener with, at Sears for $30. Will follow up with a post when I make it over there and effect a repair.

Thanks, INGO! :ingo:

p.s. This is what appears to be my issue...when I opened the case it looked like two inches of nylon shavings had built up!

[video=youtube;w4bgS9_u2u0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4bgS9_u2u0[/video]

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ALSO: on the springs, if you can't open the door easily with just hand strength with the opener disconnected then you might want to get the springs replaced.
    It could be making your opener work harder and tearing your gear set up.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Springs are solid, recently replaced, but that is good to know! The gear inside the unit is shredded, like the one in the video I posted.

Top Bottom