Garage door fun: manually releasing garage door from the "up" position...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not sure where you are located, but if in the Indy area, this guy is the man for all things garage door related ... View Profile: marcweid - INGunOwners
    He's in Avon. Looks like he hasn't been on INGO for a few months, but he did a great job on a couple of garage door related items for me.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Yeah if springs are adjusted it shouldn't move down unless maybe about halfway already, and even then it should be slow. You should be able to manually open and close the door on your own.

I have a screw drive, and after about 4-5 years the carriage strips out and have to buy a new one despite greasing it twice a year. But this is good. carriages are cheap... new screw drives are not.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Springs are solid, recently replaced, but that is good to know! The gear inside the unit is shredded, like the one in the video I posted.

Mine also got shredded. It was just age. That plastic gear is the designed weak point. Something will break. Design a part to be that failure. Otherwise, worse - more expensive stuff fail.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I did it with my minivan gate open. I was mad and in a rush. D'oh

My wife did something similar... But the gate was closed all the way. The Garage door just wasn't quite open all the way.

The third taillight on the van hasn't worked since then - and it's way too involved of a job for me to tackle it myself.

You should ask her about the crack in the red lens next time you're over. heh

Top Bottom