• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Moving into a house later this month, looking to get an affordable/good security alarm system.

Any recommendations? I'd like something that's loud if a window/door were to be broken into. We also have pets... so I'm not sure about the need for motion detection. Granted, we typically have them crated to one room at night.

What do you have, and if you don't mind sharing, what's a price point to expect?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Dogs. Use the crate only if you have to. They need to be able to patrol the house. IMHO They need not be big scary attack dogs. They only need to give you time to respond. Ours will run to the front, or where ever they heard something, before they start barking. Cuts down on the false alarms. If Brandi (German Shepherd) alerts. we know someone is around. Diamond (Min Pin) will hear a vehicle's tires on the gravel driveway almost every time.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You got it... dogs. Use the crate only if you have to. They need to be able to patrol the house. IMHO They need not be big scary attack dogs. They only need to give you time to respond. Ours will run to the front, or where ever they heard something, before they start barking. Cuts down on the false alarms. If Brandi (German Shepherd) alerts. we know someone is around. Diamond (Min Pin) will hear a vehicle's tires on the gravel driveway almost every time.

Both our dogs (German Shepherd and Corgi) are quite responsive with things like that, I just would hate for them to be "in the way" in a home defense situation. That, and they're both still pretty young (2-3 years), and get into things. I can see leaving them out when they're a bit older, and less likely to **** on things in our new house.

But I'd also like to have that alarm when we aren't home. Say someone knew we were at work, and tried to break in then.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Typically, installation and equipment is free. A three year contract on monitoring is where they make their money.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have a Northstar alarm. Free installation of base package and purchased an extra motion sensor. Everything is wireless. Monitoring is $45.99/month with no contract.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    Had recently seen some fairly cheap video monitoring kits at Sam's Club.
    I haven't any experience with them or knowledge beyond that: they were affordable, came with 4 to 8 cameras, and a monitor.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dogs. Use the crate only if you have to. They need to be able to patrol the house. IMHO They need not be big scary attack dogs. They only need to give you time to respond. Ours will run to the front, or where ever they heard something, before they start barking. Cuts down on the false alarms. If Brandi (German Shepherd) alerts. we know someone is around. Diamond (Min Pin) will hear a vehicle's tires on the gravel driveway almost every time.

This. He's pretty awesome except for the occasional annoying false alarm and the daily visit by the mail man.

I personally have monitoring on my home, but I have a few friends who only really care about an alarm when they are home/asleep. If this is you you can get a great wireless system by honeywell that can be upgraded later to include video monitoring and fire/co. To get started with out a monitoring plan expect to pay about $600 for 3 doors and 10 windows with 1 pet immune motion sensor. My buddy installed his in an afternoon. I think it was a model # 7000 or 8000. Its pretty awesome for $.

I've had different systems over the years including a Honeywell. Other than the dog, I think I liked the Honeywell best. It didn't have a lot of extra features but it was reliable. Had another system, don't remember the brand. Drove me nuts. I hated that it talked and I couldn't turn that off or even turn the volume down without a service call. "The front door is open". Yeah, because I'm leaving. During a lightening storm: "Main power has been interrupted." No ****. Thanks for waking up the kid.

Sybaris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Had recently seen some fairly cheap video monitoring kits at Sam's Club.
    I haven't any experience with them or knowledge beyond that: they were affordable, came with 4 to 8 cameras, and a monitor.

Those would be alright indoors.

I have a 4 camera outdoor infrared system with motion detection and a networked video recorder. Cameras are powered over ethernet. It has back-up power. It's pretty interesting to see who and what comes on your property at night.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Go wireless. We built a new house in 1996 and had an alarm installed then. It was through General Alarm and I have been very satisfied. However, wireless was not an option in 1996. To convert now is stupid expensive ($2300), based on the fee they are quoting me. The ONLY reason we have a land line now is for the friggin alarm and at the minimum monthly phone charge, it would take me several years to break even. If someone could tell me how to do it myself, I'd be all over converting to wireless now just for the ability to drop the stupid land line and minimum monthly phone bill.

Dirty Steve

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I use Mytech, they are based in Plainfield, they use Honeywell equipment. Around $25 a month for cell monitoring with no contract. It was around $350 to have installed for 3 doors, 2 motion sencors and one keypad.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Koorsen is another local company that does good work. I can get you a contact if you want.

And a good system can be pet immune. So you don't have to worry about locking up the animals. If any systems you see aren't move on. It's not rocket surgery.

Top Bottom