• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The Zionsville Town Council will soon consider a proposed ordinance that would prohibit any shooting in the Zionsville Rural Service District (outside the urban districts) that is within 150 yards of any adjoining property or otherwise "within range" of such property - irrespective of whether that shooting is into a safe backstop or otherwise completely responsible. If you live in Zionsville or have friends or relatives with property there, I urge you to contact the town council members to tell them how you feel about this restriction.

The current version is below, with the names of the town council members listed. Based on my conversations with the president of the council, I believe that the "within range" language is going to be removed, and that an exception will be identified for legally using a gun in self-defense. But apparently they are sticking to the "within 150 yards" restriction.

I have emailed my objection to this proposed ordinance, as has Sheriff Ken Campbell. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to forward that email exchange to you or post it below.

I will keep you advised of any hearings in which the proposed ordinance might be considered. If you live in Zionsville or have an interest in this issue, I hope you'll attend and participate. In the interim, here is the contact information for the Town Council: http://www.zionsville-in.gov/government/elected-officials/

Guy

ORDINANCE NO. 2013–________
    OF THE TOWN OF ZIONSVILLE, INDIANA

AN ORDINANCE AMENDING THE
    ZIONSVILLE CODE OF ORDINANCES
    TO PROVIDE FOR SAFETY IN DISCHARGING FIREARMS
    PURSUANT TO INDIANA CODE §35-47-11.1

WHEREAS, the Town of Zionsville ("Zionsville") desires to recognize, enhance and provide public safety in the Rural District of Zionsville for the discharge of a firearm that may be injurious to health, indecent, offensive or an obstruction to the free use and enjoyment of private property; and

WHEREAS, Zionsville desires to maintain a community which supports the natural attributes of the Rural District of Zionsville, its wildlife and agricultural uses; and

WHEREAS, the Zionsville Town Council finds that it is in the public interest of the citizens of Zionsville to consider and adopt this Ordinance in order to secure and promote the public health, safety, comfort, convenience, and general welfare of the citizen of Zionsville and to protect them and their property; and

WHEREAS, Indiana Code 14-22-31.5 provides for the regulation of shooting ranges and their location, use, operation, safety and construction, and Zionsville understands and appreciates that not all firearm discharges in the Rural Service District are taking place at or on a regulated shooting range; and

WHEREAS, Indiana Code 35-47-11.1 prohibits a political subdivision from regulating firearms; ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer and storage of firearms; and commerce in and taxation of firearms, but does not limit the regulation of discharge of firearms within Zionsville.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED AND ENACTED by the Town Council of the Town of Zionsville, Indiana, that:

1. Ordinance Amendment. The provisions of Chapter 9, Article I of the Zionsville Code of Ordinances, is hereby amended by adding a new Section 9-2A, regarding safety in discharging firearms, with the following new provisions:

9-2A Safe Discharge of Firearms

(a) The provisions of this Section shall apply only within the boundary of the Rural Service District of the Town of Zionsville.

(b) Definitions. The definition of firearms shall be the definition set forth in Indiana Code 35-47-1-5.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge a firearm within 150 yards in proximity to or within the range of any person or assemblage of people, adjacent private property, vehicle, farm, dwelling, house, apartment, church, school, airport, or other building, park, trail, pathway or recreational area, or to fire in such direction such that any projectile expelled could or does strike, hit, enter or pass through any of the foregoing.

(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any firearm from or across any street, sidewalk, road, highway, park, trail or pathway.

(e) The property owner, lessee or person in charge or control of any real estate upon which the right to fire or use a firearm is granted shall be responsible for the actions of those to whom they have given written permission to fire or use a firearm on their property.

(f) The provisions of this Section shall apply generally to all areas within the Rural Service District of Zionsville, as well as to any shooting range, as defined under and regulated by Indiana Code Chapter 14-22-31-5, located within Zionsville.

(g) Any violation of the provisions of this Section shall upon conviction be punishable by a fine of not less than $100.00 for the first offense, nor more than $2,500, and may be increased after the first offense.

The remaining provisions of Section 9-2 are not amended hereby and remain in effect as
    currently codified.
    2. Construction of Clause Headings. The clause headings appearing herein have been provided for convenience and reference and do not purport and shall not be deemed to define, limit or extend the scope or intent of the clause to which they appertain.

3. Repeal of Conflicting Ordinances. The provisions of all other Town ordinances in conflict with the provisions hereof, if any, are of no further force or effect and are hereby repealed.

4. Severability. If any part of this Ordinance shall be held invalid, such part shall be deemed severable and the invalidity thereof shall not affect the remainder of this Ordinance.

5. Duration and Effective Date. The provisions of this Ordinance shall become and remain in full force and effect and until its repeal by ordinance, and the charges herein shall become effective immediately upon the due publication of this Ordinance as required under Indiana law.

Introduced on the ____ day of __________, 2013.

DULY PASSED AND ADOPTED this ___ day of ___________, 2013, by the Town Council of the Town of Zionsville, Boone County, Indiana, having been passed by a vote of ____ in favor and ____ opposed.

TOWN OF ZIONSVILLE, INDIANA
    BY ITS TOWN COUNCIL

ATTEST:

IM-4870581-2

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I would think it wouldn't matter, as the county peeps typically don't vote in those council members. They don't have the "jurisdiction" to do this without annexing the whole county is my first thought. I've been wrong before though.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Looney Zionsville Soccer MOM with her hand in the cookie jar? Someone more knowledgeable educate me. Zionsville Town Council has the authority to regulate activity outside city/town limits?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

WHEREAS, the Town of Zionsville ("Zionsville") desires to recognize, enhance and provide public safety in the Rural District of Zionsville for the discharge of a firearm that may be injurious to health, indecent, offensive or an obstruction to the free use and enjoyment of private property; and

Ironic that they're happy to obstruct the free use and enjoyment of private property if you're the one doing the shooting on your property.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Looney Zionsville Soccer MOM with her hand in the cookie jar? Someone more knowledgeable educate me. Zionsville Town Council has the authority to regulate activity outside city/town limits?

Zionsville is divided into "urban" districts and "rural" districts. This ordinance would restrict the discharge of firearms within the "rural service district," where it has always been legal to shoot historically. To address Double T, it does not apply to all of Boone County.

Guy

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    So has the lack of this ordinance actually ever caused a problem, or is this somebody just trying to act like they're accomplishing something?

michaeladkins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    This is the first I have heard of this. Actually I am not surprised, but it does seem like Zville is getting congested. It isn't like it was 30 years ago, that is for sure.

I don't see how this passes!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Zionville ordinance

Please keep us apprised of this issue. I am a Zionsville "rural" area resident. I currently practice for IDPA and USPSA shooting on a friend's sixty acre rural tract. This could result in that being curtailed although I think we should be able to stay 150 yards from neighboring property boundaries.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Please keep us apprised of this issue. I am a Zionsville "rural" area resident. I currently practice for IDPA and USPSA shooting on a friend's sixty acre rural tract. This could result in that being curtailed although I think we should be able to stay 150 yards from neighboring property boundaries.

On Guys Facebook page, he mentioned this could be considered as soon as Aug. 5th...you might want to take a more aggressive stance.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This one hits (quite literally) pretty close to home for me, as I live in a Zionsville "rural" zone. I would be interested in attending any public meetings or hearings that they have...

Is there anything scheduled yet?

also, is anyone interested in joining me in an organized "Rural Zone Protest Shoot"?

-Paul

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    My brother and his family live in Zionsville.....I sent them information on it. His kids became interested in shooting a couple years ago, so it could definitely impact them. Thanks for the heads up!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I went to the Zionsville Town Hall this p.m. I asked about : how an ordinance gets proposed, when and how will public comment be accepted, and when is the next town meeting when this could be discussed. The Ass't to the town manager asked what I was referring to. When I told her I was inquiring about the proposed "discharge of firearms" ordinance she abruptly ended our conversation by stating I would need to speak to Town Council Jeff Papa re: that issue. She handed me his business card and turned and walked away.

After the Sandy Hook school shooting in Newtown, CT this year, a Zionsville "soccer mom" began her personal crusade against gun ownership. She received local and national attention. I suspect she may have gained the attention of one (or more) of the town council members.

The rural areas affected have two members on the seven member council. There are two at-large members and three representing the urban portion of the Town.

I plan to continue to pursue this by both emailing and phoning Mr. Papa to gain additional information and to express my dissatisfaction in the ordinance. Regretfully, I predict it will be an uphill battle to muster opposition to this initiative.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The rural areas affected have two members on the seven member council. There are two at-large members and three representing the urban portion of the Town.

Do the two 'at large' members represent only the rural district (the nature of which I don't understand. It sounds like you live in a neutral zone neither city nor county) or are they elected by everyone within both rural and urban districts of Zionsville? If the latter is true, it sounds like there at least should be grounds for a lawsuit based on unequal representation, especially if the urban district gets council members assigned to zones that only residents therein can vote for.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't live in the area but it sounds to me like a bunch of anti gun flailing about trying to do something just for the sake of doing something. An over zealous solution to a non existent problem. :dunno:

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I went to the Zionsville Town Hall this p.m. I asked about : how an ordinance gets proposed, when and how will public comment be accepted, and when is the next town meeting when this could be discussed. The Ass't to the town manager asked what I was referring to. When I told her I was inquiring about the proposed "discharge of firearms" ordinance she abruptly ended our conversation by stating I would need to speak to Town Council Jeff Papa re: that issue. She handed me his business card and turned and walked away.

After the Sandy Hook school shooting in Newtown, CT this year, a Zionsville "soccer mom" began her personal crusade against gun ownership. She received local and national attention. I suspect she may have gained the attention of one (or more) of the town council members.

I plan to continue to pursue this by both emailing and phoning Mr. Papa to gain additional information and to express my dissatisfaction in the ordinance. Regretfully, I predict it will be an uphill battle to muster opposition to this initiative.

Why does it matter what issue?

Top Bottom