• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m a fan of the Commander size for a couple of reasons. First, the slide length makes for easy carry all day long with no real down side. Second, it just balances well in that config for me. That makes it a really nice gun to shoot with no real vices. Now, I love my full sizes too but I often find that a day with a full size will cause back pain if I’m doing a lot of sitting. That long barrel will tweak my back a bit where as the commander does not.

In my opinion, there is little downside to a Commander sized 1911.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    1st tooling is relevant to how deep you intend to go.
    2nd.cost runs with #1

A full on ground up requires machine work. The slide to frame fit is done by the builder. There are several more steps involved depending on whos parts/pieces you end up using and there are several quality suppliers out there.
    Barrels frames slides sights ignition controls safety's and so on.

Build a plane. Think out the project and then source the parts. Some of the work can be done by you but again as you said, tools. Knowledge.

I seriously messed a few things up on my path up the learning curve. Once you know what you want give me a PM and we can get you on a path. "WAY" to much to list.

I have AllenM do my finish work as to Ceracoat. Many other options available.
    Thank you CM. I will do some homework. I appreciate the offer to help get going along

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Yes 40 S&W I’ll be able for major or minor scoring along with limited 10.

I have seen some of his 2011’s they are nice. Looking forward to seeing yours. And smart to have all your bases covered.
    I have only 5 1911’s all full size but I really want just one more 1911 in Commander then I am sure I will be done?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have been thinking I would like to get one with a lightweight officer frame and around a 4 inch slide, to try for carrying.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have been thinking I would like to get one with a lightweight officer frame and around a 4 inch slide, to try for carrying.

I have a DW CCO that’s really nice to carry. It’s a sweet shooter too.
    356d1f7550b78e94216e915947a59ffa.jpg

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    My perfect 1911 would have a more reliable extractor, eliminate the hammer, eliminate the thumb safety, be much lighter, eliminate feeding problems, have double stack magazine, and have better corrosion resistance and overall reliability. Oh and be way cheaper.

I think they call them Glock 21.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    My perfect 1911 would have a more reliable extractor, eliminate the hammer, eliminate the thumb safety, be much lighter, eliminate feeding problems, have double stack magazine, and have better corrosion resistance and overall reliability. Oh and be way cheaper.

And there it is. It was only a matter of time. It was nice while it lasted.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I dream of one day owning a WWII government issue no matter the manufacture. I shot a Remington Rand A1 on a combat pistol team while in the service and I learned to absolutely love them. I remember back in the late 60's my dad mail ordered one for something like $29.95 and they shipped it right to our house. Man, those were the good ole days. I don't care so much about recent manufacture offerings but, that's just me.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    b4641d9b3da432afb24e710c6976c96f.jpg

Maybe this should be my choice in the perfect 1911. It is an 2013 vintage Colt Delta Elite with updates. Lots of updates.

Great looking DE Sir. I have a stock stainless 2nd Gen DE. What kind of upgrades should I be looking at for it to be the best it can be, in terms of function, reliability, and longevity?.

76caprice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2020
    Franktucky
    They are
    I have seen some of his 2011’s they are nice. Looking forward to seeing yours. And smart to have all your bases covered.
    I have only 5 1911’s all full size but I really want just one more 1911 in Commander then I am sure I will
    I already have a 2011 that he done for me. 1911’s are contagious for sure! One in every caliber is the goal eventually!!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Great looking DE Sir. I have a stock stainless 2nd Gen DE. What kind of upgrades should I be looking at for it to be the best it can be, in terms of function, reliability, and longevity?.

Thank you Sir! On this one, I had a custom EGW barrel bushing cut to improve the fit. Then I fit a beaver tail grip safety along with a complete new fire control group. I think I used WC Bulletproof parts IIRC. I replaced the main spring housing and added an EGW flat bottom firing pin stop also. Then I dropped it off with AllenM who cut the front strap checkering and did the sight cuts as well as the Cerakote job. Sights are TFOs and the grips are Dan Chinnok mammoth ivory. I think that’s it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

REPORTED

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I should add that on mine, the barrel/bushing fit was just a hair inside of spec but had a lot of play. The mainspring housing was plastic and the sear/hammer fit was off. When placed into an Ed Brown sear jig, it was already cut below the surface. The gun worked fine from the factory but it was not the most accurate or fun to shoot.

The front strap checkering made it much easier to shoot as did the flat bottom firing pin stop. Those change the amount of leverage that the slide has over the hammer and is a nice way to reduce felt recoil while running a lighter hammer spring.

Top Bottom