• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Took a little trip to visit with the better half's family over the weekend.

Caught a nail in a tire on the way there and came out to a flat when moving our car so the FIL could take his.

Had about a half hour so decided to get a spare on instead of taking the risk of cutting a tire in moving it on a flat.

Nephew came out as I was finishing up...said he wish he would have caught me....wanted to learn how to change a tire.

Really? The guy has had a license to drive for three years.

"How do you drive without knowing how to change a tire?"

"Dad got me a AAA membership...they do it for you, but I want to know how"

So we spent an hour afterwards swapping a tire for a spare....on his Mom's car that he usually drives.

AAA is fine and convenient, but I miss when Dad's taught their kids how to take care of themselves for when they need to.

I was reminded of when our youngest was learning to drive. She drove home with Mom and somehow managed to blow a tire on a curb by the house. I happened to be in the drive. She didn't even notice the sound of the air coming out of the tire.

"Hear that? You cut a tire"

"Huh?"

"Go look at it"

"I'm sorry"

"No need to be sorry. You just got the chance to learn something"

So despite her protests of it being late and all she had to do, we spent the next hour and a half changing a tire. I touched nothing while she listened to instruction....and got it done.

She has had a couple of flats since....and knows what to do.....and she also knows when driving on a flat, cutting up a tire to get to a safe area, and calling AAA is a wiser choice.

I miss when Dad's would teach their kids basic things about how to get through.

I am glad I had a good Dad.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I miss Saturday morning big farm breakfasts in McCurtain County, Oklahoma. My grandmother would have a huge spread: bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, food as far as my eyes could see. The smell of fresh coffee in the air, sounds of my beloved grandpa, my dad and uncles chatting and laughing around the breakfast table. We'd rub the sleep from our eyes, shove feet into dusty boots and try to pack down enough food before racing our cousins out to grandpa's truck, hoping - begging - them to let us go with them that day, and if we got the nod of that old dusty cowboy hat we were headed off to tend cattle on the farm.

Man what I wouldn't give to be riding in the back of that truck just one more time; bouncing along those country roads, across the road by the creek that washed out again, wind swirling in my hair, bits of hay and dust in my eyes, and not a care in the world...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I miss Saturday morning big farm breakfasts in McCurtain County, Oklahoma. My grandmother would have a huge spread: bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, food as far as my eyes could see. The smell of fresh coffee in the air, sounds of my beloved grandpa, my dad and uncles chatting and laughing around the breakfast table. We'd rub the sleep from our eyes, shove feet into dusty boots and try to pack down enough food before racing our cousins out to grandpa's truck, hoping - begging - them to let us go with them that day, and if we got the nod of that old dusty cowboy hat we were headed off to tend cattle on the farm.

Man what I wouldn't give to be riding in the back of that truck just one more time; bouncing along those country roads, across the road by the creek that washed out again, wind swirling in my hair, bits of hay and dust in my eyes, and not a care in the world...
    Growing up with farm folk I was a big fan of breakfast from the moment I saw one of these spreads on the family farm.
    We will still occasionally eat this way when we have a mind too.
    Damnit OG that was swell to read.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Took a little trip to visit with the better half's family over the weekend.

Caught a nail in a tire on the way there and came out to a flat when moving our car so the FIL could take his.

Had about a half hour so decided to get a spare on instead of taking the risk of cutting a tire in moving it on a flat.

Nephew came out as I was finishing up...said he wish he would have caught me....wanted to learn how to change a tire.

Really? The guy has had a license to drive for three years.

"How do you drive without knowing how to change a tire?"

"Dad got me a AAA membership...they do it for you, but I want to know how"

So we spent an hour afterwards swapping a tire for a spare....on his Mom's car that he usually drives.

AAA is fine and convenient, but I miss when Dad's taught their kids how to take care of themselves for when they need to.

I was reminded of when our youngest was learning to drive. She drove home with Mom and somehow managed to blow a tire on a curb by the house. I happened to be in the drive. She didn't even notice the sound of the air coming out of the tire.

"Hear that? You cut a tire"

"Huh?"

"Go look at it"

"I'm sorry"

"No need to be sorry. You just got the chance to learn something"

So despite her protests of it being late and all she had to do, we spent the next hour and a half changing a tire. I touched nothing while she listened to instruction....and got it done.

She has had a couple of flats since....and knows what to do.....and she also knows when driving on a flat, cutting up a tire to get to a safe area, and calling AAA is a wiser choice.

I miss when Dad's would teach their kids basic things about how to get through.

I am glad I had a good Dad.
    Well, yeah but my dad taught me :poop:
    He said he had to learn it so you know where my tools are and make sure you clean and replace where you got them.
    He had 2 crecent wrenchs and part of a 1/2" socket set. Thing is he did not know either.
    So if I wanted to drive I knew I was on my own. I am self taught with the help of some really great older men along my path. I knew they were car guys so I aligned myself with them helping as I could and they shared a lot of basic knowledge and stood back as I worked my way through all the hurdles. I owe them a lot.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    In my mis spent youth my family would attend a huge weekend gathering of relative both close and distant kin. We'd fish. Play games. Eat, catch lightning bugs. Eat, hide and seek, Eat, talk, Eat.
    I come from a gathering of ethnic families. Hungarian. Russian, etcso there was a lot of unusual foods...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my mis spent youth my family would attend a huge weekend gathering of relative both close and distant kin. We'd fish. Play games. Eat, catch lightning bugs. Eat, hide and seek, Eat, talk, Eat.
    I come from a gathering of ethnic families. Hungarian. Russian, etcso there was a lot of unusual foods...
    We had great times and hard work on the family farm and as I riminess I learned a lot about life in my time spent there.
    A lot.

And that was my introduction into the changes that come over people when an estate is being parceled out. HMOG.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    @tbhausen and I could write a book about all the lessons our dad and our family and friends have taught us growing up. Lots of discipline and tough love along the way. I can only hope to be as good a teacher to my kids.
    Got our asses whipped a time or two, didn’t we?

Also learned how to think on our feet and solve problems with our brains and our hands, and to treat people with respect. Many of these seem to be becoming obsolete concepts.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Glad for the rain and weather putting a curb on outdoor obligations this weekend....Sole task has been smoking 40lbs of pork butt for a little friends and family get together and enjoying the time we have.

There used to be more days like this.....back before folks thought it critical to be busy all day every day doing something for who knows what.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There used to be more days like this.....back before folks thought it critical to be busy all day every day doing something for who knows what.
    I took our youngest granddaughter her birthday present today, which required me getting on 465 and driving to the northeast side and this thought crossed my mind. There's a ton of traffic on the south leg of 465 because of the I-70/I-65 construction and closures downtown, but that didn't stop people from driving 85-90 mph, weaving in and out of traffic across all lanes, running up on people's asses and hitting their brakes. I thought to myself, "It's freaking Saturday. Where the hell do you people have to be in such a hurry??"

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I took our youngest granddaughter her birthday present today, which required me getting on 465 and driving to the northeast side and this thought crossed my mind. There's a ton of traffic on the south leg of 465 because of the I-70/I-65 construction and closures downtown, but that didn't stop people from driving 85-90 mph, weaving in and out of traffic across all lanes, running up on people's asses and hitting their brakes. I thought to myself, "It's freaking Saturday. Where the hell do you people have to be in such a hurry??"

For some of us, Saturday is just another day on the calendar.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Fair enough. Still no excuse for driving 85-90 mph in heavy traffic and being an idiot. Leave earlier. I drive over the speed limit, but it's tempered by traffic conditions.

full

No matter how hard you try, and as time goes by, they get stupider and more dangerous.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Fair enough. Still no excuse for driving 85-90 mph in heavy traffic and being an idiot. Leave earlier. I drive over the speed limit, but it's tempered by traffic conditions.
    Is it OK if I do one or the other as long as I don't do both at the same time?

Top Bottom