• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Someone told me you can't burn trash in IN recently....Never knew that....now I throw brush on top and burn brush

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Someone told me you can't burn trash in IN recently....Never knew that....now I throw brush on top and burn brush

I think most counties have ordinances against all of that stuff and I'd venture that every actual city does. Doesn't seem to slow a lot of folks down.

I actually don't mind a well setup incineration rig for those out in the sticks, but an open trash fire with all manner of awful in it is just a bad thing for everybody. I watched my grandpa burn batteries. Doesn't seem like an awesome thing to go dumping in your ground water and have everyone around you breathing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Uhhh... I watched my grandparents do some straight up heinous stuff. Like pour sour 2 cycle gas straight into the lake. Burn all the trash (including all of the plastic). Burn old tires or also just throw them in the lake. On it goes.

Back in the day that's just what you did, but... I wouldn't say they were very "green". Cheap/thrifty, resourceful, etc? Sure.

Some of the old ways probably could, and maybe should, make a come back. But many more of them should not.
    You do make a good point! My shed (I'm living in the house I grew up in, built by Dad) should probably be a Superfund cleanup site. :): Dad used to keep DDT and Dioxin (Agent Orange) out there, along with Malathion and probably other pesticides/herbicides.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    You do make a good point! My shed (I'm living in the house I grew up in, built by Dad) should probably be a Superfund cleanup site. :): Dad used to keep DDT and Dioxin (Agent Orange) out there, along with Malathion and probably other pesticides/herbicides.

I'm mostly impressed that the shed is holding up well enough for you to even have it on your mind. That's one of the old ways that I'd gladly welcome back!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Jeebus! Only thing it needs is the Pizza Oven conversion! :thumbsup:
    When I was a kid, we used to climb up on the roof of that shed and pour a quart jar full of gasoline down the chimney. Then we (okay, I) would drop a lit match down there. It would blow the cast iron doors to the bbq open, and send flames shooting about 10 feet out of the top of the chimney.

I was a latch-key kid. :):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    When I was a kid, we used to climb up on the roof of that shed and pour a quart jar full of gasoline down the chimney. Then we (okay, I) would drop a lit match down there. It would blow the cast iron doors to the bbq open, and send flames shooting about 10 feet out of the top of the chimney.

I was a latch-key kid. :):

I would have caught a beating for wasting a quart of gas and my Dad would have absolutely noticed.

I did stuff like that once I was a teen and had my own gas money. :cool:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would have caught a beating for wasting a quart of gas and my Dad would have absolutely noticed.

I did stuff like that once I was a teen and had my own gas money. :cool:
    Gas was about 27 cents a gallon, and I'd give my buddy a quarter and a gallon gas can, and let him ride my Sears "Screamer" (their version of the Schwinn Crate bikes) up to the Marathon station at the corner. :lmfao:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Gas was about 27 cents a gallon, and I'd give my buddy a quarter and a gallon gas can, and let him ride my Sears "Screamer" (their version of the Schwinn Crate bikes) up to the Marathon station at the corner. :lmfao:

Our eras may have been just a little different. I grew up in a big subdivision and wasn't allow to ride my bike outside of the neighborhood until one day I just started doing so in my early teens. By the time I was a teen, the last place I wanted to be up to shenanigans was at home. Took my show on the road, as they say.

Once in awhile when I'm a victim of someone else's petty roadshow, I have to remember those days...

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Learned recently that a childhood buddy's dad passed away a while back.

When we were kids, his dad somehow always made the time to take our gang out hunting. Frog hunting with the guy left us with some great memories of some great times.

I spent some time reflecting this evening on how much that guy was doing for us knuckleheads.

Pro tip: If you get the chance to teach a kid that wants to learn about the outdoors, take it. The impact you can have may be bigger and longer lasting than either of you know at the time.

Wonderful lessons. Wonderful memories.

Thank you, Collie.

IMG_0625.jpg

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My first rental house. My dear old neighbor had an asphalt looking drive into his alley garage. All from dumping his car oil into the gravel over many years.
    My family had a farm outside of Markle. Every summer someone would show up to put down oil on the gravel road to help keep down the gravel dust I guess.

I was young. I don't know why they did it I just know they did it.

It was pretty much the same result as your neighbor got.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Learned recently that a childhood buddy's dad passed away a while back.

When we were kids, his dad somehow always made the time to take our gang out hunting. Frog hunting with the guy left us with some great memories of some great times.

I spent some time reflecting this evening on how much that guy was doing for us knuckleheads.

Pro tip: If you get the chance to teach a kid that wants to learn about the outdoors, take it. The impact you can have may be bigger and longer lasting than either of you know at the time.

Wonderful lessons. Wonderful memories.

Thank you, Collie.

View attachment 134309
    Nice old Mossberg!

Reactions: Leo

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    My family had a farm outside of Markle. Every summer someone would show up to put down oil on the gravel road to help keep down the gravel dust I guess.

I was young. I don't know why they did it I just know they did it.

It was pretty much the same result as your neighbor got.
    That's interesting. Perhaps this was just the way people were taught back then. I guess recycling had never factored into the equation when the internal combustion engine was designed.

Top Bottom