• I spend it all on bacon and socks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Going through my finances trying to figure out a good budget. I started analyzing how much I spend on my hobbies, particularly firearms. I found that I spend about 2% my net income on my collection + ammo/training. What is a good rule of thumb for Ingo, budget wise?

I understand every household is different, and there are soooooo many things to factor in, which is why I went with a percentage.

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    Mine varies dramatically year to year. Have been years I’ve spent many thousands of dollars. Have been years I haven’t bought much of anything. This year I’ve decided to thin the heard because I don’t shoot many of them and my priorities have changed. Have been collecting firearms for the past 15-20 years. Just sold the first gun I’ve ever sold this past Saturday.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Mine varies dramatically year to year. Have been years I’ve spent many thousands of dollars. Have been years I haven’t bought much of anything. This year I’ve decided to thin the heard because I don’t shoot many of them and my priorities have changed. Have been collecting firearms for the past 15-20 years. Just sold the first gun I’ve ever sold this past Saturday.
    Same here minus the length of time. I think the highest was still only 3.5. So not enough to make a huge difference.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    My budget is whatever I feel like spending. I don't go stupid crazy with guns. Currently own 2 9mm, 1 45ACP, and 1 22LR pistols. I tend to keep about 1000 rounds each for the 9mm and 45. IIRC, I've got about 4000 22LR rounds. Wanna see stupid spending on a hobby? I've got a nice camera closet with about $10,000 worth of Canon gear in it. That doesn't count all the accessories and 3-400 rolls of film in the freezer.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Guns are a hobby. After the 1st one (which is absolutely necessary for defense), additional firearms are a luxury. Hobbies are budgeted only after taxes, food, clothing, shelter, transportation, kids' needs & retirement savings / long-term savings. Usually enough for 1 gun and a few thousand rounds of ammo (purchased online in bulk for best prices.) Normally less than 1% of gross although occasionally I have a chance to splurge.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Guns are a hobby. After the 1st one (which is absolutely necessary for defense), additional firearms are a luxury. Hobbies are budgeted only after taxes, food, clothing, shelter, transportation, kids' needs & retirement savings / long-term savings. Usually enough for 1 gun and a few thousand rounds of ammo (purchased online in bulk for best prices.) Normally less than 1% of gross although occasionally I have a chance to splurge.
    EEEUUUUWWWWW! All of that number crunching sounds completely mundane and tedious. My wife and I both work, both have hobbies, and both buy WETF we deem 'necessary'. I could not live under the constraints of having to plan where money goes. Money is fungible. In other words, money you are not actually spending on something is insignificantly different than toilet paper.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I probably shouldn't talk about it... I am sure there have been one or two years around 10%, but I am not going to resurrect that...

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I hadn't bought a gun for 3 or 4 years until this year. In past years my purchases were all 22lr ammo, couple years ago it was 8000+ rds, paying match fees, and gas for my truck.
    All in total this year has been $2500 for ammo, gear, and 1 gun, and match season is just getting started

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    In my (roughly) year and a half into the firearm hobby, I've bought 3 guns. That was too many I think. :dunno: I certainly won't be buying at that rate going forward. But to be fair, they were all pretty justified (in my mind...)
    1. 9mm pistol for home defense, then
    2. AR-15 because I was very interested in the platform and I wanted a rifle, and finally,
    3. 9mm subcompact for EDC.
    Time to chill unless I hit the lottery.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    In my (roughly) year and a half into the firearm hobby, I've bought 3 guns. That was too many I think. :dunno: I certainly won't be buying at that rate going forward. But to be fair, they were all pretty justified (in my mind...)
    1. 9mm pistol for home defense, then
    2. AR-15 because I was very interested in the platform and I wanted a rifle, and finally,
    3. 9mm subcompact for EDC.
    Time to chill unless I hit the lottery.
    I blame @ECS686 for getting me into guns, anyway.

Top Bottom