• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I was going south on Emerson Ave. and approaching Raymond Street on Indianapolis southeast side and there was a whole pile of maybe a dozen or more police cars blocking Emerson south of Raymond and as I tried to find a route to go around and get out of the area there must have been 10 more police cars come screaming in from all directions I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bank robbery.
    I didn't see any evidence of an accident but there was a car turned sideways like he tried to turn around and get away.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    That must have happened seconds before I got there because I saw the lights on the police cars and they were all maneuvering at the time. By the time I got to Raymond Street they were all stopped.
    There may be a very good reason but I'm curious as to why so many police cars were needed, looks like they'd be getting one another's way.

That reminds me of a police chase I witnessed on 10th Street a few decades back. I was on my motorcycle and it was at night and a car with its headlights off came screaming toward me from the east and police cars behind them chasing them.
    I swung around and followed them till they got to near downtown around Collage Ave and by the time I got there he was already dead. He had slammed into the earthen abuttment but I don't know whether he died from hitting that or they had shot him.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Beech Grove Police pursuit ending with suspect shot
    Nice to see Beech Grove still chases car thieves, unlike IMPD.

Sounds like a tough break for the owner, though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Indiana State Police banner image

State Police Investigating Beech Grove Officer Involved Shooting​

Indiana State Police sent this bulletin at 08/18/2023 10:04 PM EDT
    Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.​
    State Police Header Image 3
    INDIANA STATE POLICE
    INDIANAPOLIS DISTRICT
    8620 E. 21st Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46219
    www.in.gov/isp
    FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt​

Sgt. John Perrine
    Public Information Officer
    317-899-8287
    DATE: August, 18, 2023​

Beech Grove, Indiana - A police pursuit led to an officer involved shooting this afternoon on Emerson Avenue just south of Raymond Street involving Beech Grove Police Officers. Beech Grove Police Chief Michael Maurice requested the Indiana State Police to investigate the incident.
    The information below is preliminary, this is still an active investigation:
    This afternoon, a Beech Grove Police Officer learned information about a stolen vehicle from IMPD dispatch that was recently reported in Indianapolis. At approximately 12:20 p.m. the Beech Grove Officer observed the stolen maroon Honda at a gas station in the area of 3755 East Raymond Street. When that officer attempted to stop the vehicle, the driver fled. At onset of the vehicle pursuit, the suspect struck one of the involved police vehicles. The pursuit continued eastbound on Raymond Street where officers made at least two attempts to immobilize the vehicle with a PIT (percision immobilization technique) maneuver but were unsuccessful. The pursuit concluded at approximately 12:24 p.m. with a successful PIT maneuver, used by officers to de-escalate the pursuit. The PIT maneuver immobilized the Honda, causing it to come to rest on the center curbed divider of the four lane roadway. Officers attempted to get their patrol vehicles into a position to block the escape path of the suspect vehicle. Preliminary investigation revealed the officers were exiting their patrol cars to apprehend the suspect when the suspect began driving the car back and forth, striking the police vehicles that the officers were standing in close proximity to. A Beech Grove Officer discharged his service weapon one time toward the suspect who was still seated inside the Honda. The bullet struck the suspect causing a non-life threatening injury. The officers continued to communicate to the suspect with loud verbal commands to gain compliance. The suspect remained inside the vehicle for several minutes until complying with the officers' directions. Once he exited the vehicle, officers immediately coordinated and administered emergency medical aid to the suspect until paramedics arrived. The suspect was transported to a local hospital in stable condition. Prior to being transported to the hospital, drug contraband was found.
    The Indiana State Police along with Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Officers responded to the scene to assist. There were no officers injured in this incident. As part of this investigation, detectives are reviewing body camera footage.
    The suspect was later identified as 42 year old Gerald Smith of Indianapolis. At the time of this release he is in a local hospital in stable condition.
    The Beech Grove Officer who discharged his weapon is 23 year veteran Darrin McGuire.
    This is an ongoing investigation and the information released at this time is preliminary. All crimes mentioned are alleged and all suspects are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty in the court of law.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    That must have happened seconds before I got there because I saw the lights on the police cars and they were all maneuvering at the time. By the time I got to Raymond Street they were all stopped.
    There may be a very good reason but I'm curious as to why so many police cars were needed, looks like they'd be getting one another's way.

That reminds me of a police chase I witnessed on 10th Street a few decades back. I was on my motorcycle and it was at night and a car with its headlights off came screaming toward me from the east and police cars behind them chasing them.
    I swung around and followed them till they got to near downtown around Collage Ave and by the time I got there he was already dead. He had slammed into the earthen abuttment but I don't know whether he died from hitting that or they had shot him.
    Did you roll down the window and say, "Here officer, use mine..."?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    And Chances are the perp will have a long rap sheet. At his age sadly he isn't likely going to learn, and sadly he will probably be doing it again in a couple years, or as soon as he is let go. Cause doing drugs and driving the car you stole around town seems logical.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    And Chances are the perp will have a long rap sheet. At his age sadly he isn't likely going to learn, and sadly he will probably be doing it again in a couple years, or as soon as he is let go. Cause doing drugs and driving the car you stole around town seems logical.
    Phhfft, couple years? Couple weeks.

Top Bottom