• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Following the range session I wrote about in this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...5177-working_with_more_realistic_targets.html , we decided to see if we could put together an easy-to-assemble moving target set-up. The basic criteria were following:

1. Quick set-up and tear down.
    2. Break down small enough to fit in the trunk of a small car.
    3. Inexpensive.
    4. Scalability: As in, we can add to it and set up increasingly complex shooting situations.

What we basically came up with was a system of IPSC style targets suspended from 550 cord on sliders strung between trees. We used another length of cord as a pull string to pull targets along the path.

7365842462_a7d4f5928a.jpg

They aren't the most realistic moving targets, but certainly add an element of difficulty to our range session. We found that the cardboard targets tended to swing some. A couple of sticks duct taped to the bottom of the target added enough weight to prevent much of the swinging.

Materials:

A. 550 Cord (Track and Pull String)
    B. Small Diameter PVC Tube (Sliders to put over string)
    C. Duct Tape
    D. T-Shirt (to give targets some dimension)
    E. 2 Key Rings (Slipped over cord at the tree end to use as a pulley to change the angle of the pull string)

Overall, it worked out pretty well. I will attempt to post a video in the following post.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Then we added a no-shoot mover to cross in front of the target. Later we added some stationary targets and a piece of cover to move toward. The addition of no-shoots, movement, and cover definitely added to the complexity of the set-up. We found that just changing the position of the cover relative to the movement of the targets, or even the stationary targets changed the problem a fair bit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIwEvM8sVjk[/ame]

Next we plan to come up with a system of reactive targets where a good hit on the high center chest will drop the target. The plan is to keep it cheap and add some dimension to the targets. Will post up when that is complete. Ultimately, we will bring the three together: More anatomically realistic, different types of movement, and reactivity. The goal is realism on a budget, that is simple and quick to set-up and tear down so we can work with it regularly.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I like it!! I need to find a place where I can shoot like that...tired of stationary ranges and controlled rates of fire

Thanks. I agree. Its hard to find a place to shoot where you can move, work from the holster, play with moving targets, etc. I drive over an hour every weekend to go shoot where I do so I can have the freedom to do this kind of thing.

One day I'll have some property and I'll keep this kind of stuff up all the time.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

I don't believe their rules would allow the kind of movement and moving targets I am working with in the above post. Maybe for special events or competitions it happens. I doubt they would let me come out on any random saturday and string up moving targets or work on my shot times out of the holster. But I am not a member. If that is something I can do up there, I definitely need to look in to it. (I probably need to look in to it anyway.)

Rules of the Marion County Fish & Game Association.

Approved January 4, 2011

5.12. All shooting must be done at 90 degrees to the firing line. Do not shoot across lanes.
    5.17. Drawing from a holster and firing is not allowed.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Then we added a no-shoot mover to cross in front of the target. Later we added some stationary targets and a piece of cover to move toward. The addition of no-shoots, movement, and cover definitely added to the complexity of the set-up. We found that just changing the position of the cover relative to the movement of the targets, or even the stationary targets changed the problem a fair bit.

Next we plan to come up with a system of reactive targets where a good hit on the high center chest will drop the target. The plan is to keep it cheap and add some dimension to the targets. Will post up when that is complete. Ultimately, we will bring the three together: More anatomically realistic, different types of movement, and reactivity. The goal is realism on a budget, that is simple and quick to set-up and tear down so we can work with it regularly.

We're still working on ideas for a reactive target system, so if anyone has any suggestions or ideas, we'd like to hear them.

Is anyone else trying similar things during their range sessions?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don't believe their rules would allow the kind of movement and moving targets I am working with in the above post. Maybe for special events or competitions it happens. I doubt they would let me come out on any random saturday and string up moving targets or work on my shot times out of the holster. But I am not a member. If that is something I can do up there, I definitely need to look in to it. (I probably need to look in to it anyway.)

They have two bays for this kind of shooting. Many of the members are also USPSA shooters.

Best advice is go out there and shoot Friday Night Steel, check shooting sports forum for more info.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    They have two bays for this kind of shooting. Many of the members are also USPSA shooters.

Best advice is go out there and shoot Friday Night Steel, check shooting sports forum for more info.

Interesting. I read the rules and assumed the restrictions wouldnt allow it. I have been meaning to check out the range, though. I need a place closer to home where I can go during the week.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Loved MCFG when I lived in Indy. Only thing I couldn't do there was shoot rifles.

Like I said, head out for Friday night steel. Even if you don't shoot, it doesn't cost anything to walk around and check it out.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

My understanding is that the bays have the same rules as the main firing line except for during classes and formal competitions.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Very cool Jackson. Thanks for posting it!

Thanks. I thought it would be worthwhile to post about some of the ways we try to make our practice a little more realistic and challenging. Would love to see some ideas from others about things they do on the range to increase realism or difficulty or just change it up a bit.

Most of the posts in this section are either about specific training classes or arguing about the merits of one technique/method vs another. I wanted to put some stuff up about what I do after I've selected the techniques I am using and between training classes. This is where I spend the majority of my time, and it is where the majority of my improvement comes from. I suspect most people are the same way.

Top Bottom