Wonder if this is the year to invest in ice fishing gear?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Been a couple years since we had steady temps in the teens in December. What do we think about the forecast for the rest of this winter?

[video=youtube;nb8HP1NpsjM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8HP1NpsjM[/video]

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Just make sure it is safe. I just saw that 2 kids fell through the ice in Pike County. Our FD worked one of these a few years ago. It sucks!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm pretty much of a woosie when it comes to that. It'll have to be a for sure thing for me to be out there.

I'd have to see the ice at 24" + before I'd want to be out there. I, too, am a wussie when it comes to being out on ice. Skeeves me out, man.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I'll get out if the ice gets 4" or more. 24 inches? Hell, you could drive a truck on ice that thick!
    Alot of the time I go alone, so I tie a ski rope to a close by tree and drag the handle out next to where I'm sitting. I reckon if I fall in, its my only chance at getting out.

I don't go too far out. I drill my way out to test thickness. I've sunk old Xmas trees on my 2 favorite spots, so I know where to fish will be, and I'm not wandering around on the ice looking for the school.

I don't even eat them. I just do it to get outside in the crappy months.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    24 inches? Hell, you could drive a truck on ice that thick!

That's how I know it's safe for ME!

Seriously, though. Being out on ice over Water Of Unknown Depth really really skeeves me out.

Like I'm getting the fear chills right now just thinking about it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We went out today and checked our favorite spot. There were three groups of guys on the ice, and our test hole was about 8 inches thick. Bass Pro orders (plural) arrived today. I saw that about the two kids that fell through the ice so was pretty surprised to see how thick the ice is here. n

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I went out on the boat today, just didn't go south like I should have. Half the lake I fished had about 2" of ice on it, the rest had a surface temp of 34 degrees. My silver buddy just couldn't get it done though:(

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I just tossed my auger in the trash along with rods and other misc gear. Auger had new blades.

Couldn't find a spot that actually had fish. Couple that with sketchy ice. This was my second go around buying equipment and getting rid of it. Sucks to invest money into something that sits around sometimes years at a time.

Fish sticks for me.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I just tossed my auger in the trash along with rods and other misc gear. Auger had new blades.

Couldn't find a spot that actually had fish. Couple that with sketchy ice. This was my second go around buying equipment and getting rid of it. Sucks to invest money into something that sits around sometimes years at a time.

Fish sticks for me.

Post your address and somebody will come and get it! LOL!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If anybody wants a deal on ice fishing rods say so, and I will go check this week for any deals I can find. Saw some good ones a few weeks ago when I bought a musky rod about 66% off.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Post your address and somebody will come and get it! LOL!

Neighbor grabbed it for scrap. Managed to sell shanty and one nice rod. Practically gave it away. Nobody knows what the gear is or had same experience as me with ice fishing.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Neighbor grabbed it for scrap. Managed to sell shanty and one nice rod. Practically gave it away. Nobody knows what the gear is or had same experience as me with ice fishing.

That's too bad. I know how expensive it is to buy all that stuff. I think we have been shopping on Bass Pro's site at least three times this week. I blame you tube and all of those fishing videos. :lmfao:

Top Bottom