Wonder if this is the year to invest in ice fishing gear?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Honestly, unless there is water available with walleye or pike in it, it just isn't worth it to me to put money into ice fishing. I grew up doing a lot of it up in Minnesota but that was a very different game from Indiana.

I go a time or two a year down here but honestly the fishing just isn't very good since bass and cats seldom play ball. Plus, I don't walk on ice less than 7 inches. That said, it is a lot less work making holes when you don't have 2 to 3 feet of ice to punch through with a hand auger.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Honestly, unless there is water available with walleye or pike in it, it just isn't worth it to me to put money into ice fishing. I grew up doing a lot of it up in Minnesota but that was a very different game from Indiana.

I go a time or two a year down here but honestly the fishing just isn't very good since bass and cats seldom play ball. Plus, I don't walk on ice less than 7 inches. That said, it is a lot less work making holes when you don't have 2 to 3 feet of ice to punch through with a hand auger.

The thing I have found about ice fishing in Indiana is there is no middle ground. It is either the most amazing day on the ice or you get skunked....I have yet to have an OK day?

One thing I will say is if you have never had bluegill through the ice you are missing out on some AMAZING eats. Coat them in cornmeal and heat up the cast iron....MMMMMMMMM:drool:

Now they say you can go out on 2.75" of ice.....I like 5"+ before I feel comfortable out there. I think with the temps we have right now there should be enough ice to be safe.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    They are VERY DIFFICULT to sharpen. If someone does not have much previous experience sharpening Auger Blades then don't give them your blades. It is worth the small investment of purchasing new blades...in Indiana they last a long time if cared for.

Does anyone in the Indy area sharpen auger blades?

AndrewG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Brownsburg
    I get nervous when temps go above 32 and then refreeze. The ice gets weird and grainy and I don't trust it. When I lived in Manitoba Canada it would get below freezing and stay there for months. You could tow out a shed with the truck and falling through would not cross anybody's mind. There would be parking lots on the ice for winter festivals. fishing was like sitting on the couch in the living room with a hole in the floor that you pull fish from while listening to the hockey game on the radio. The drawback - it was cold for months. That's why I live here now!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I get nervous when temps go above 32 and then refreeze. The ice gets weird and grainy and I don't trust it. When I lived in Manitoba Canada it would get below freezing and stay there for months. You could tow out a shed with the truck and falling through would not cross anybody's mind. There would be parking lots on the ice for winter festivals. fishing was like sitting on the couch in the living room with a hole in the floor that you pull fish from while listening to the hockey game on the radio. The drawback - it was cold for months. That's why I live here now!
    They used to park full size semi trailers on Detroit Lake in Minnesota for the snowmobile races. They did it for years but then one year got unlucky and a bunch of them went through the ice. We used to drive on the ice pretty regularly once it got more than 2 feet thick. It is pretty fun in a car or truck going pretty fast on the ice as you can do some pretty wild spins and such. Then again, I had a lot more tolerance for the cold back when I was a teenager than I do now.

Top Bottom