With "No right to resist" how do you handle this scenario?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    From today's South Bend Tribune... "2nd Home Invasion in Three Days"--
    Armed gangbangers kick in the door to a home shouting "Police, police" several times with guns drawn.

2nd home invasion in three days - southbendtribune.com

Does the new "no right to resist" law set the stage where the bg's have the upper hand, knowing that a homeowner will not fire instinctively upon illegal entry if the homeowner has to first process, "Are these guys really the police?".

In my opinion this gives thugs the upper hand if they plan ahead a little bit & order some clothing to impersonate police, swat, dea, etc.

My guess... we'll see more of this in the near future until the court ammends/broadens its ruling.

Last edited:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I would say if you aren't wanted for illegal activity (drugs, robbery, theft etc.) that chances are, the guys kicking your door in are there to rob and/ or kill ya. Once a few people learn you have a weapon, it will surely get around to thieves.:twocents:

Last edited:

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    :xmad: if my door gets kicked in i'm shootin somebody really quick. i hope a real leo would'nt be that stupid....

Real LEO's do accidentally get the wrong address & kick in the wrong door... plenty of news articles to paint the picture.

If I have to defend myself/family from thugs breaking in, I at least have a measure of confidence that I'm more prepared than they are, and once I start shooting they might turn tail & get outta there. Against a true LEO mistaken unlawful entry, that's a gunfight I have no chance of surviving. Once you open fire on an LEO team, you're most likely finished.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Real LEO's do accidentally get the wrong address & kick in the wrong door... plenty of news articles to paint the picture.

If I have to defend myself/family from thugs breaking in, I at least have a measure of confidence that I'm more prepared than they are, and once I start shooting they might turn tail & get outta there. Against a true LEO mistaken unlawful entry, that's a gunfight I have no chance of surviving. Once you open fire on an LEO team, you're most likely finished.

thats all true. that is why i'd want to see a warrant. the court ruling a few days ago does'nt make sense.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Keep your sights on them until you know they see you, but don't shoot. If they shoot first, they aren't cops. I'm pretty sure the only time a LEO will shoot first is if you're an armed and dangerous cop killer or something.

I'd take my chances if they fire first. If it's their mistake and you feared for your life, I don't know what they have against you.

This reminds me of some dash-cam video show where people get taken out of there cars and proned out at gunpoint because they waited until a populated area to pull over (no speeding involved, hazards on -- definite signs of compliance IMO). At the time a criminal impersonating a cop was pulling people over and robbing them or worse (can't remember). I'm pretty sure it didn't go in their favor, but this is a completely different scenario I think.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Keep your sights on them until you know they see you, but don't shoot. If they shoot first, they aren't cops. I'm pretty sure the only time a LEO will shoot first is if you're an armed and dangerous cop killer or something.

I'd take my chances if they fire first. If it's their mistake and you feared for your life, I don't know what they have against you.

This reminds me of some dash-cam video show where people get taken out of there cars and proned out at gunpoint because they waited until a populated area to pull over (no speeding involved, hazards on -- definite signs of compliance IMO). At the time a criminal impersonating a cop was pulling people over and robbing them or worse (can't remember). I'm pretty sure it didn't go in their favor, but this is a completely different scenario I think.

That is some serious bad advise...if a cop sees you with a gun pointed at him, he may very well shoot...you just never know. It is in the best interest of all involved if the cops follow the 4th amendment in it's original form and not what the courts have ruled.
    I don't trust anyone barging into my home uninvited.

I also have to add...if the criminals are dressed as cops and don't shoot first, but disarm you...then what is keeping them from shooting? Be very wary of your trust in the system.

Last edited:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Keep your sights on them until you know they see you, but don't shoot.

Screw that!

I'm not waiting until "I can see the whites of their eyes" or any other such nonsense. The only thing I am morally required to do (for my own peace of mind) is to make sure that they really aren't supposed to be there (i.e. family member).

If they're bustin' down the door then that question is already answered.

If they shoot first, they aren't cops. I'm pretty sure the only time a LEO will shoot first is if you're an armed and dangerous cop killer or something.

Oh yeah? Tell that to the little 8 year old girl who was murdered by cops, recently, doing an entry on a house for a guy who wasn't even there. He was upstairs in a second floor apartment.

This scenario & the decision by the IN supreme court easily shows more of the "law of unintended consequences".

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The cops killed the guy out in AZ. He had an AR and never fired a shot. 71 rounds were fired at him though.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    this no - warrant ruling puts the leo's and the citizen's in harms way. just like any anti - gun law, they put leo's and citizen's into harms way. hopefully its overturned before to many innocent folks r killed.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

You do realize that if they shoot first they could kill you or someone you love before you have an opportunity to shoot back, right? Guess you've never been shot at before. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously stupid idea. Nominated for the dumbest thing ever said on INGO award (Expat, where's that award at?).

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    From today's South Bend Tribune... "2nd Home Invasion in Three Days"--
    Armed gangbangers kick in the door to a home shouting "Police, police" several times with guns drawn.

2nd home invasion in three days - southbendtribune.com

Does the new "no right to resist" law set the stage where the bg's have the upper hand, knowing that a homeowner will not fire instinctively upon illegal entry if the homeowner has to first process, "Are these guys really the police?".

In my opinion this gives thugs the upper hand if they plan ahead a little bit & order some clothing to impersonate police, swat, dea, etc.

My guess... we'll see more of this in the near future until the court ammends/broadens its ruling.

Install cameras. Install motion detection devices outside. Boobie trap exterior doors / windows using cans of bear spray. Build a safe room. Closets are best. No external windows, single entrance. Easy to defend. Doesn't have to be elaborate. Couple pieces of steel plate and a steel core door. Keep a cell phone in the safe room for communication with police. Cameras in room outside safe room to monitor activity while in safe room. Get your family inside safe room ASAP. Good guys probably won't try to shoot you in a closet. Bad guys might.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I don't have any first hand no-knock warrant experience, but shouldn't the officers (assuming they are real cops) be wearing bullet proof vests and/or clearly marked jackets that say "POLICE" on them? I know its not the hardest thing in the world to get a hold of a jacket like that, but my inclination would be to hold fire if I see the name of a law enforcement agency in my sights. Furthermore, the article states the men were wearing masks when they busted through the door. I've seen SWAT officers on tv wear ski masks, but they also had "POLICE" stenciled on their vests in bright yellow letters that were 8" tall. There is NO reason an officer of the law should ever enter my home via "tactical entry", without attire identifying him as a good guy, while wearing a mask. My response to that situation? :ar15:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Install cameras. Install motion detection devices outside. Boobie trap exterior doors / windows using cans of bear spray. Build a safe room. Closets are best. No external windows, single entrance. Easy to defend. Doesn't have to be elaborate. Couple pieces of steel plate and a steel core door. Keep a cell phone in the safe room for communication with police. Cameras in room outside safe room to monitor activity while in safe room. Get your family inside safe room ASAP. Good guys probably won't try to shoot you in a closet. Bad guys might.

I'm going to have to put steel door on my house, have at least 4 PIT-BULL running loose in my yard, have .25 inch ply-wood with 2.25 inch nails thur it on all my entrance;)

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

People have been shot to death by police without even owning a handgun or weapon, they will shoot first if they feel they need to.

As for waiting for them to shoot first, I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather get the first shot off instead of getting shot first and hope I'm good enough to pick myself up and fire back... :rolleyes:

Things like these home invasions is why the law might be the most retarded thing the government has done yet. Thieves can now dress up as police officers and barge into people's homes while yelling police. Before this law passed, I would shoot, now I have to wait and examine them first before I know, which is most likely going to get me and my family either killed, beaten, or robbed.

I say shoot anyone who busts down your door. If the police are at the wrong house, that's their fault. If it's not the police, at least you know they won't be back.

Edit: Sorry for repeating what SemperFiUSMC has already said about "waiting to be shot at first", I just seen the ridiculous comment and couldn't help myself.

Top Bottom