• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Looks like winter is here for a bit, please be safe. I will get a few likes and more than a few “mind your business” responses but I genuinely mean please be safe. Last weekend I was taking my son back to college and had the whole family in the truck. Road conditions were deceptively slick and we saw a few cars in the ditch. It dawned on me at that time that the only thing I really care about and that could never be replaced was sitting in that F-150. All it takes is a split second and patch of ice to take all of that away.

Before making last weeks trip: I checked my tires, made everyone put on their water resistant boots, took a bag with some water and power bars, carried a rain suit, packed heavier coats and carried an emergency blanket. Oh and of course carried a larger pistol! We left later then planned so we would traveling with the sun up, slowed down and took our time. No reason to get in a hurry.

Right now my colleague in Northern IL is on the phone telling me the story of dealing with his elderly grandfather who is currently stuck in a snow drift and hurt his ankle. He is livid because he argued with his grandfather yesterday that he had no reason to leave the house during inclement weather. Apparently 4WD is not invincible. So, if you can stay home in bad weather please do so.

Today I was grabbing lunch and listened to a young man complaining about people who couldn’t drive in the bad weather today. He had his young daughter and was opening carrying a pistol. I applaud him, but just as important as that gun is for protecting his daughter so is his car. Were there really other bad drivers or was he driving to fast for the conditions? I can’t answer that question. When I left the restaurant I quickly took note of the tires on the vehicles parked around my truck and was amazed by the condition, some were worn to the point that you could no longer see any tread. Tires are expensive and people will out of necessity be driving on them longer.

Again, be safe, keep your vehicle maintained, wear proper clothing for the weather, take your time and keep your powder dry. Also remember that your decisions/actions could not only affect you but others as well. I will now go back to minding my own business.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I see lots of big 4x4s out there with tires that will be outright dangerous once a bit of slush or ice is on the road.

My unsolicited advice to add to the thread is that drivers stop being courteous, during inclement conditions especially. In my experience, and thru watching winter dash cam compilations, it’s best to be predictable - not courteous.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Honestly, self defense these days may well involve driving awareness and skills over the sidearm on your belt.

I am constantly amazed at how many times threats come up on the road these days. Nearly ever trip to town for me is a drill to avoid other "driver's" actions.

Add in poor road conditions and it's quite the risk.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The older I get - the less inclined I am to get out and about. Ya know?

And I'm not even that old. Though I have reached an age where I make noises when I stand or sit - whether or not I need to.

This Friday AM may be interesting... I don't have to work a full day this Friday, but I *do* have to come in because of what I have to prep for on Saturday.

I may shift my arrival to work until later in the AM after rush-hour. Or rush-3 hours with the potential for the snow.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I mostly get annoyed by the people who just have to get out and drive in bad weather cause they need their McDonald's or Starbucks..if I don't have to drive in it I won't.

Top Bottom