• ...and so much more!
  • areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    Hello All,

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I am looking at a Winchester Model 1894 in 30-30, with a 20" barrel to buy. According to the seller it was made in 1942.
    Unfortunately, it's not a firearm I can see in person, as it is located about 12 hours from me. I did ask the seller for more pics and he did send those. Overall, considering the age, it looks very decent. I did ask about the rifling, but he did not respond to that question.

My question(s) to you all.
    What should I be looking at considering this rifle?
    Any additional questions I should ask the seller?
    The price seems a little low, IMO, based on the year of manufacture. But, then again, it could just be a "good deal".

Any additional advice is very welcomed!

Thank you,
    Mike

Here's the pics he sent:
    DSC08034.JPG

DSC08035.JPG

DSC08036.JPG

DSC08037.JPG

DSC08038.JPG

DSC08039.JPG

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I know very little about these rifles. It is more collectible because it was made before 1964. It looks like it has been refinished to me.

If the barrel is in good shape, I would feel comfortable paying 1000 for it

areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    I know very little about these rifles. It is more collectible because it was made before 1964. It looks like it has been refinished to me.

If the barrel is in good shape, I would feel comfortable paying 1000 for it
    Yup. Looks like the wood has possibly been refinished. I plan to call them today and ask additional questions Winamac suggested in a PM.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have that same rifle, not near as nice as this one, but an awesome shooter.
    So let's start here, with you (or I) NOT being a winchester 64 expert, is the shop selling it reputable?
    And price?
    Why do you want it? As I said I have that same rifle. I like mine, but it is a safe queen, I don't shoot mine much, it's not a target gun, I don't hunt, I don't collect lever guns or winchester.....

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Nice looking rifle. As stated ask about the guns action, feeding, firing and ejection. Definitely make sure you get a answer on the bore condition also. Good luck with your purchase or nonpurchase. Welcome to INGO btw.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Winchester 94s are great rifles, bore is probably good due to the later manufacturing date and 30-30 was never commercially loaded with BP that I can think of. I collect older Winchesters and they hold up pretty well. It's hard to find the old guns for less than a grand, but I would hit GB to see what current pricing is on your specific gun.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I would insist that the seller address your question about the rifling. Also, know ahead of the transaction whether you can return for full refund if, after having a gunsmith look it over, you felt the need to return.

Top Bottom