Status
    Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    They don't need that money to give bonuses to nurses and other health care professionals who are working overtime?
    Or buy PPE for hospital, help businesses that have been closed forever, anything actually useful?

I agree, but a lot of people don't realize that some hospitals and health care providers are rolling in money right now. I'm not sure if any of it gets to the actual workers, probably not, but it sure could if that decision were made. Some places are charging up to $1419 per COVID test and making a ton of profit. That would be where the bonuses, overtime, etc. should come from.

https://khn.org/news/article/covid-...l-windfall-for-hospitals-and-other-providers/

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I agree, but a lot of people don't realize that some hospitals and health care providers are rolling in money right now. I'm not sure if any of it gets to the actual workers, probably not, but it sure could if that decision were made. Some places are charging up to $1419 per COVID test and making a ton of profit. That would be where the bonuses, overtime, etc. should come from.

Maybe it depends if it's a public or a private hospital.
    The majority of healthcare workers are not getting rich over that whole pandemic thing.

Clearly it would be more fair to share that money among frontline workers, instead of giving one freaking million to a random dude who just showed up to get a free vaccine.

Heck I'm sure other project in that state could use that much money.
    Schools, food banks, homeless shelters, small businesses etc ... I'm sure many places could use 5 million dollars of taxpayer money.

Also people shouldn't need a monetary incentive to do the right thing.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The majority of healthcare workers are not getting rich over that whole pandemic thing.

Clearly it would be more fair to share that money among frontline workers, instead of giving one freaking million to a random dude who just showed up to get a free vaccine.

Schools, food banks, homeless shelters, small businesses etc ... I'm sure many places could use 5 million dollars of taxpayer money.

Following the money could shed a whole lot of light on things.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Right! And to make it worse it probably won't be random - stuff like this is rigged these days.

I would just buy a lottery ticket if I want a chance to randomly win a million.

At least the money would come from other people who bought lottery tickets, and not from the taxpayer.

It just very strange for a public official to just offer public money to random strangers like that.

It would be a bit different if the governor offered some of his own money instead of using the money people gave him to pay for roads, schools and other stuff.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    WTF This is ridiculous if it's true.

So the state of Ohio have 5 million dollars to give away?

They don't need that money to give bonuses to nurses and other health care professionals who are working overtime?
    Or buy PPE for hospital, help businesses that have been closed forever, anything actually useful?

Getting vaccinated is a selfless act for a lot of people, it's to protect others.

You do it because you care about people in your community, not because you might win a lot of money.

The state is already offering the vaccine for free (meaning everybody is paying for it), I don't think it's morally justified to spend even more of that taxpayer money than they have to.
    That line of thinking is so 20th century.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    CDC now saying those vaccinated don't have to wear masks inside or outside or social distance...lol

Good news. :yesway:
    Hopefully more people will want to get vaccinated now.

I suspect some people wouldn't get the vaccine because they were told they would still have to wear masks, and keep social distance.

So they couldn't see the point of getting the shot.

I'm curious to see if President Biden and his VP will finally stop wearing masks now.
    I haven't seen their faces much since the election.

I'm not sure they will since last time Biden went OUTSIDE to announce that the CDC said fully vaccinated americans don't need to wear a mask outside ... he was wearing a mask outside.

Of course Dr Fauci said that ...

“For those who are more risk averse, you have a choice of continuing to wear it if you want to,” Dr. Fauci said.

And the CDC is still asking people to wear masks in some places ...

The new advice comes with caveats. Even vaccinated individuals must cover their faces and physically distance when going to doctors, hospitals or long-term care facilities like nursing homes; when traveling by bus, plane, train or other modes of public transportation, or while in transportation hubs like airports and bus stations; and when in prisons, jails or homeless shelters.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, this reminds me it's time to brew up another batch of silver water.
    Careful.

15-580bbb930f5728339b280f7d951bf0d7.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Your conservative side and your totalitarian side are both showing in this series of posts. On one hand you are worried about wasteful spending but have no trouble pushing the jab on others.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I just don't believe the pro-vax here when they say that it is up to the individual to choose what is right for them. Their posts in totality appear to me to convey their belief that everyone must get the vaccine...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Your conservative side and your totalitarian side are both showing in this series of posts. On one hand you are worried about wasteful spending but have no trouble pushing the jab on others.
    I'm not sure you fully understand the meaning of both the words "conservative" and "totalitarian".

Do I believe that people, especially at risk people, should get the vaccine? Sure.

I'm I forcing people to get the vaccine?
    No.
    If you're unsure about it talk to your family physician.
    If you made up your mind and don't want the vaccine that's fine with me.

I oppose MANDATORY vaccination (or masks mandates) in case you missed that.

That's hardly "totalitarian" or "pushing the jab" on others.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    CDC now saying those vaccinated don't have to wear masks inside or outside or social distance...lol
    So the economy is taking a dump. Jimmy Carter era gas lines are reappearing. Rockets are flying in the Middle East. The vaccine distribution is waning despite movie stars and athletes promoting it.

Why do I feel the CDC mask announcement today (or at least the timing) has more to do with politics than it does with science?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom