Will A Rand Paul Presidential Race Doom The GOP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This article tries to make the case. It will be the base vs. the establishment gop. The author makes the assertion that a Rand run might very well result in the type of fracture that saw the Whigs lose power and be supplanted by a new party. It certainly will be interesting to see what does happen. There really aren't any acceptable contenders at the moment, other than Rand, that would appeal to a large portion of the base and those that ID as independents. Santorum is a non-starter outside the evangelicals, as is Huckabee. And I just don't see Gingrich trying his hand at it again. Rand may be what the party needs, but will the party elites stand for it?

Rand Paul: The next and last GOP nominee?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    There really aren't any acceptable contenders at the moment, other than Rand, that would appeal to a large portion of the base and those that ID as independents. Santorum is a non-starter outside the evangelicals, as is Huckabee. And I just don't see Gingrich trying his hand at it again. Rand may be what the party needs, but will the party elites stand for it?

Rand Paul: The next and last GOP nominee?

Cruz

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Maybe a little early for all this. I do like the way he chewed up Hillary and spit her out when she "testified" on Benghazi. I would pay money to see those two debate with an unbiased moderator.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Rand may be what the party needs, but will the party elites stand for it

Doubt it. I think it was pretty obvious from the last primary that Romney was the chosen one from the very beginning. If Rand started threatening, then he would be subject to the media treatment his dad recieved (Fox News). However, Rand's views towards foreign policy may get him votes among Republicans that his dad never would have.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I think a big part will be how the media portray him-as a young, energetic, independent reformer, or as a right wing extremist with a touch of his dads kookiness. Personally, I'm ready to start campaigning for him now!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Santorum? Huckabee? Gingrich? Why would they repeat that disaster? No, wait--don't answer that!:laugh: Sigh, the stupid party.

How about: Rubio? Cruz? McDonnell? Haley?

Didn't Rubio come out in support of assault weapons ban, just like the other once hopeful (although fat!) Cinderella from Joyzeee?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If it came down to Rand, Rubio and Cruz, the "establishment" would definitely back Rubio hands down. He ran as a Tea Party-ish sort of candidate, but since the general election and especially since a lot of Republicans billed him as a party superstar, it's become more apparent that he's chosen to join with GOP establishment.

Of the three I think I like Cruz the best, then Rand. Rubio is no longer on the list. He chose to throw in with the wrong faction.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    i'll vote for him. he doesnt seem like one who gets elected and sits in the corner doing nothing for as long as possible to keep his senate seat. he is a fighter and willing to call out other politicians and other countries for wrongdoings.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Doubt it. I think it was pretty obvious from the last primary that Romney was the chosen one from the very beginning. If Rand started threatening, then he would be subject to the media treatment his dad recieved (Fox News). However, Rand's views towards foreign policy may get him votes among Republicans that his dad never would have.

Fox news has already been very welcoming warm and fuzzy to both Cruz and Rand. I know its too early for this. But you have to think in terms of who they are going to run against Hilliary not who is the best person for the job. The Republicans don't think in rational terms. I belevie they are still very much the good old boy network and would run someone they know does not have a chance rather than run someone that is not in their favor.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    As much as it pains them I think this last election loss was a wake up call for the Old Guard... We are already seeing a shift in media backing. Rubio and Rand are all over Fox News

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I like what I'm hearing and seeing from Rand and Cruz. I won't vote for Rubio. I really don't see him standing apart from the GOP Old Guard or fighting for liberty and fiscal responsibility.

What I can't wait for is the progressives on the left becoming birthers if Cruz gets the nom. He was born in Canada but his mother was a US citizen. Should be interesting.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Santorum? Huckabee? Gingrich? Why would they repeat that disaster? No, wait--don't answer that!:laugh: Sigh, the stupid party.

How about: Rubio? Cruz? McDonnell? Haley?
    Rubio, I see as a maybe. Too soon to tell. Not sure his immigration stance would fly with too many of the base. Cruz is full of platitudes and sound bites, but he hasn't bothered to take on any issues, yet. Makes it hard to tell what he's really all about. Haley is still too new to things and doesn't have a national recognition outside of a limited gop number.

Santorum is making lots of calls to Iowa and keeping himself in the running. The powers that be in the party may pull an Obamney and figure that it's his time. A Santorum run would insure a Hillary victory. Same with Huckabee.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Where might the "new Republican internationalists" go if Paul wins this intra-party battle? Considering that likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton helped engineer the U.N.-backed military coalition that ousted Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, and reportedly pushed Obama to directly arm the Syrian resistance, it's not hard to envision a "Republicans for Hillary" campaign if the alternative is Rand Paul

Ain't. No. Way. After 8 years of Obama, I sincerely doubt even the most war-mongering, neo-con will be onboard with a Hillary candidacy despite her "What difference does it make now" Benghazi escapade, her mastermind of the Ghadhafi ouster, or whatever winds up happening in Syria. But then again, I was certain there was no way Obama would get re-elected after Obamacare.

And if any contemporary politician might be willing to bet his political legacy on supplanting a wayward Republican Party with a new party, it would be John McCain. He has long branded himself a "Teddy Roosevelt Republican."

On this, I am in total agreement with Mr. McCain.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I like what I'm hearing and seeing from Rand and Cruz. I won't vote for Rubio. I really don't see him standing apart from the GOP Old Guard or fighting for liberty and fiscal responsibility.

What I can't wait for is the progressives on the left becoming birthers if Cruz gets the nom. He was born in Canada but his mother was a US citizen. Should be interesting.

What I can't wait for is those who complained about obama's birth certificate for 8 years telling me I have to vote for Cruz.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Ain't. No. Way. After 8 years of Obama, I sincerely doubt even the most war-mongering, neo-con will be onboard with a Hillary candidacy despite her "What difference does it make now" Benghazi escapade, her mastermind of the Ghadhafi ouster, or whatever winds up happening in Syria. But then again, I was certain there was no way Obama would get re-elected after Obamacare.

See your problem is that you are a thinking person. You try to be rational and use common sense. You have to take into account that the sheep outnumber the people that can think for themselves. That is how the media elects presidents that think they are kings.

What I can't wait for is those who complained about obama's birth certificate for 8 years telling me I have to vote for Cruz.

Well WTH since we already put one non natural born citizen in the oval office why break a trend?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    If they put in Rubio I will sit out the next presidential.
    Rand's already compromising and hedging and reframing his stances to be acceptable to the widest-number of people.

What happened to the Constitution of these United States of America meaning precisely what it says? Why hedge it with 'Well, if there's ongoing crime, I don't care if it's a drone or a cop who kills [the criminal]'? Principle does not allow for weaselling, and I don't care even what Judge Napolitano was saying, this is absolutely different from his filibuster position, and definitely different from what the Constitution allows, which is no armed drones whatsoever.

I'm just about ready for the coming entropy and am perfectly willing to abstain from the next presidential election if I even so much as think the GOP leadership still hasn't gotten the message by primary season.

Top Bottom