Why doesn't our government want us to share garden seeds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Unintended consequence of a "well intentioned" law. Now a new law needs to be written and passed to mitigate this consequence. What a waste - government control.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dow Chemical, Monsanto, and Archer-Daniels Midland must have their business models protected.

This is actually an area of Indiana law that is relevant to my interests but which I have not yet investigated. Anyone care to post a set of IC citations for statutes limitting or restricting heirloom seeds/home gardening/seed libraries?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This law is right on it's intended target. Genetically engineered seeds are dangerous when not completely regulated. Cross breeding on these seeds can lead to trouble and has been known to have this potential since their inception. It's been common knowledge amongst some farmers for a long time.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    This law is right on it's intended target. Genetically engineered seeds are dangerous when not completely regulated. Cross breeding on these seeds can lead to trouble and has been known to have this potential since their inception. It's been common knowledge amongst some farmers for a long time.

But the "enforcement" of the regulations in the article is directed at private people who raise garden plants the old fashioned way. My favorite part of the article is the official who states that, although he admits that the parties affected pose little to no danger, the regulation doesn't allow his agency the discretion to not intervene.

Government agencies decide every day which entities that they put their resources toward, and which ones they ignore. Every day.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    But the "enforcement" of the regulations in the article is directed at private people who raise garden plants the old fashioned way. My favorite part of the article is the official who states that, although he admits that the parties affected pose little to no danger, the regulation doesn't allow his agency the discretion to not intervene.

Government agencies decide every day which entities that they put their resources toward, and which ones they ignore. Every day.

They still need to keep track of the seeds. My farmer buddies tell me that the mutated seed can destroy all crops if things go awry. Granted they have a selfish agenda and I don't know anything but the hear say on this. They're pretty passionate about this.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    They still need to keep track of the seeds. My farmer buddies tell me that the mutated seed can destroy all crops if things go awry. Granted they have a selfish agenda and I don't know anything but the hear say on this. They're pretty passionate about this.

The "danger" is over-blown.

ce11a9df-6bd7-45b4-a304-39c2d8083cd3.jpg

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    The "danger" is over-blown.

ce11a9df-6bd7-45b4-a304-39c2d8083cd3.jpg

I think the law comes from a good place. From my limited understanding companies use genetically mutated seeds to grow faster and bigger, and more importantly, to make the resultant seeds in the crops infertile. Can't profit if people just buy one tomato and grow a garden from it. I think that particular trait is what the law is trying to curtail. If an errant seed crossbreeds with the "fertile" seeds, then there could be a situation in which the infertility could spread out of control and wipe out an entire species of food. Good intention, bad execution.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think the law comes from a good place. From my limited understanding companies use genetically mutated seeds to grow faster and bigger, and more importantly, to make the resultant seeds in the crops infertile. Can't profit if people just buy one tomato and grow a garden from it. I think that particular trait is what the law is trying to curtail. If an errant seed crossbreeds with the "fertile" seeds, then there could be a situation in which the infertility could spread out of control and wipe out an entire species of food. Good intention, bad execution.

Not sure where you learned that, but it's not really true. Monsanto does have a patent on a technique that produces a modified gene (sometimes called the Terminator gene), that causes the parent plant to produce sterile seed, but they do not currently use that technique and have publicly said that they won't. There is no danger that I know of involving the crossbreeding of garden plants to our food supply. If anything, crossbreeding by private gardeners benefits our food supply, that's what produced almost all of the so-called heirloom varieties of vegetables that exist today.

Papadaca

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    NWi
    Monsanto wants you to buy thier seeds, They also have thier people in office to pass laws in the company;s favor......

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Control the masses, womb to tomb, nipple to outhouse. Quality food is the best medicine. Government mandated food makes you weak enough to need government mandated drugs, from the government mandated insurance company.

Last edited:

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    This is probably old news seeing how the the documentary came out in 2008. But i just saw it again the other night, and it made me sick to see what's happening. i understand the science, and why it's being used like it is, what i didn't know was about the relationship people in power had with the seed companies.
    topdocumentaryfilms.com/food-inc/

Last edited:

DWT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2015
    Brazil
    Another interesting documentary-style op-ed is Farmageddon. It plays right into my biases, but it is more documentary than any Michael Moore videos are.

Top Bottom