• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There are always those that want to control others.
    Which is exactly why I found a home w/o an HOA.

I already have enough people telling me what I can and cannot do:
    - The Federal Government
    - The State Government
    - The County Government
    - My wife

I really don't need yet another group of people trying to control how I live my life.

I have NO ISSUE with other folks choosing to buy property that has an Association. If you WANT those controls in place, have at it.

Some of us simply don't want that.

I DO have an issue with the idiots that live in an HOA neighborhood and then COMPLAIN about it. Same with those that complain about the Airport, the racetrack, farms, etc... IF you didn't know the rules/area, that is on you. If you DID know the rules/area and still bought there, that is DOUBLY on you.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Morning IBM. You do realize basing all HOAs on a sample of 1 is like basing all Military bases on training bases with no combat mission? They ain’t all like that.

Your Mom is in Florida? That’s the home of the tyrannical HOA. Neighborhood Watch guidance from the National Sheriffs Association (probably from McGruff the Crime Dog) actually said NW and HOAs can’t coexist in Fla.

Can’t fly a flag. I was on a board when the resulting change to Indiana Code came out. That was G-Wood area IIRC where some uninformed tyrant decided Old Glory was a decoration.
    I’d have moved to have them removed from the board.

If I had a choice? I’d be in the country. Of course when I was on the farm there weren’t methheads.
    It's my sisters Mother In Law, no HOA for her.

Unfortunately from what I have talked to friends who live in one and seen, a small percentage fall into the good HOA category.

The subdivision I live in had one when it was built, it was disolved by the home owners because of the very tyranical HOA's we speak about. First question we asked when we made the offer on our home in 2004 was if there was a HOA, told them it was a deal breaker if there was.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Depending on your home requirements, an HOA can be almost impossible to avoid. Try looking for a new construction home without one. For that matter try looking for one in a neighborhood built in the last decade. Just because a lot of us live with them doesn't mean we have to like them. Remember we live with plenty of rules we don't like/agree with.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's my sisters Mother In Law, no HOA for her.

Unfortunately from what I have talked to friends who live in one and seen, a small percentage fall into the good HOA category.

The subdivision I live in had one when it was built, it was disolved by the home owners because of the very tyranical HOA's we speak about. First question we asked when we made the offer on our home in 2004 was if there was a HOA, told them it was a deal breaker if there was.

Maybe this is like the woman that can tell everything wrong with her five ex-husbands, but maybe the problem is with her. LOL

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Depending on your home requirements, an HOA can be almost impossible to avoid. Try looking for a new construction home without one. For that matter try looking for one in a neighborhood built in the last decade. Just because a lot of us live with them doesn't mean we have to like them. Remember we live with plenty of rules we don't like/agree with.

I wonder why this is? Could it be that even some of those that buy or build the brand new home will junk up the developers neighborhood before they can get it finished and to protect their investment they have to have an HOA they control? Based on years of dealing with the public my observation is that 25% are neatnicks, 25% are disgusting pigs, and then there is the middle. Only one of those groups set the tone for the neighborhood and can reduce values.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wonder why this is? Could it be that even some of those that buy or build the brand new home will junk up the developers neighborhood before they can get it finished and to protect their investment they have to have an HOA they control? Based on years of dealing with the public my observation is that 25% are neatnicks, 25% are disgusting pigs, and then there is the middle. Only one of those groups set the tone for the neighborhood and can reduce values.
    The developers only make money by selling. They've raced to the basement with costs and been helped along by the thought process of everyone should be able to own a home. As a result a lot of homes are being sold to people who won't respect the purchase. I find the quality of homeowners scales pretty well with the cost of the homes. The developers are simply protecting their investment with an HOA.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Moved into our home in late 1999. New house, subdivision about 1/2 finished when we bought it.
    Two years later when the houses were finished the developer announced a mandatory meeting to form an HOA. No HOA was a requirement for us, nothing on any paperwork about it.
    The families were about 50/50 on it. It is a very small rural town, about 800 at the time. The people from the town were very demanding about the rules. The others just as firm on no HOA. After a lot of shouting and threats from the developer's lawyer turns out they couldn't force us to join. So no HOA.

Don

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For me its the petty ridiculousness of the little Napoleons that get onto those boards to feel important. Like the Karen I saw on YT... Guy was fed up with lack of repairs and other safety issues so he called the Fire Inspector. Karen comes out and first demands the Inspector leave because SHE didnt call him. When he refuses, she FORBIDS him from talking to the resident. It got so bad he had to call the cops on her. And while the cop was there she continued to rant, telling the homeowner he couldnt walk around with the inspector... THROUGH OUTDOOR COMMON AREAS! SMH (Cop set her straight)

Between overzealous and out of balance enforcement, they just go too far. One of their favored residents out of compliance, never written up. You paint your mailbox with the paint that matches the adjacent, faded mailbox paint perfectly? WRONG. Go buy THIS brand, in THIS color and repaint it. Its not the proper color per the covenants. :rolleyes: (actually happened here in the new section of my hood)

And a friend who decided to fill in the grass in the triangle between the porch, sidewalk, and drive with a simple raised bed one landscape timber high. (3/4 high after burying it slightly. She dared to not ask for permission because it was so small and they issued a C&D letter that demanded she undo all the work and replant the grass using sod and ask for permission to do it all over again. When she went before the board they demanded she have professional architectural elevation drawings done to present to the board so they could envision what she was wanting. She laughed at them and said it was ridiculous. "Its a simple 10 square foot flower bed, smaller than a kid's bed, not a renovation of the front porch!" After berating them a bit over how silly they were being, they relented and said she could leave it, "but dont let it happen again."

Or the HOA out west that demanded that everyone must leave their overhead garage doors open 24/7 like they were only carports. Apparently they had reports of people allowing destitute friends and family to turn garages into temporary living spaces, so they wanted to prevent it by making the practice impossible. Never mind opening the other folks up to having lawnmowers and other things stolen.

Or another instance where another hood down here tells everyone they must park in their garages. Oh, and you are not allowed to have ANY outbuildings of ANY kind to store your lawnmowers. NO EXCEPTIONS. Cant do it? Sell your lawnmower and hire somebody to come cut your grass if there is no room for the mower and both cars.

Crap like that is why we dont like HOAs.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    This below and many other stupid :poop: like it is why HOA's are not worth the headache.

Why do you think the FCC had to enact a law to prevent the removal of over the air antenna's off of homes. It was because of HOA's saying that a Over The Air antenna was a sight nuisance and detrimental the look of the home in the HOA, therefore preventing homes from aquiring a TV signal because they chose not to purchase cable. Heck some HOA's even went as far as trying to fine people for Dish or DirecTV satellite dishes.

To really P*SS me off are the ones who say you can't have a flagpole and fly a American Flag.

For me its the petty ridiculousness of the little Napoleons that get onto those boards to feel important. Like the Karen I saw on YT... Guy was fed up with lack of repairs and other safety issues so he called the Fire Inspector. Karen comes out and first demands the Inspector leave because SHE didnt call him. When he refuses, she FORBIDS him from talking to the resident. It got so bad he had to call the cops on her. And while the cop was there she continued to rant, telling the homeowner he couldnt walk around with the inspector... THROUGH OUTDOOR COMMON AREAS! SMH (Cop set her straight)

Between overzealous and out of balance enforcement, they just go too far. One of their favored residents out of compliance, never written up. You paint your mailbox with the paint that matches the adjacent, faded mailbox paint perfectly? WRONG. Go buy THIS brand, in THIS color and repaint it. Its not the proper color per the covenants. :rolleyes: (actually happened here in the new section of my hood)

And a friend who decided to fill in the grass in the triangle between the porch, sidewalk, and drive with a simple raised bed one landscape timber high. (3/4 high after burying it slightly. She dared to not ask for permission because it was so small and they issued a C&D letter that demanded she undo all the work and replant the grass using sod and ask for permission to do it all over again. When she went before the board they demanded she have professional architectural elevation drawings done to present to the board so they could envision what she was wanting. She laughed at them and said it was ridiculous. "Its a simple 10 square foot flower bed, smaller than a kid's bed, not a renovation of the front porch!" After berating them a bit over how silly they were being, they relented and said she could leave it, "but dont let it happen again."

Or the HOA out west that demanded that everyone must leave their overhead garage doors open 24/7 like they were only carports. Apparently they had reports of people allowing destitute friends and family to turn garages into temporary living spaces, so they wanted to prevent it by making the practice impossible. Never mind opening the other folks up to having lawnmowers and other things stolen.

Or another instance where another hood down here tells everyone they must park in their garages. Oh, and you are not allowed to have ANY outbuildings of ANY kind to store your lawnmowers. NO EXCEPTIONS. Cant do it? Sell your lawnmower and hire somebody to come cut your grass if there is no room for the mower and both cars.

Crap like that is why we dont like HOAs.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    You seem to miss the point that many of us, at least, that are so against them, DO choose to not live under one. I for one do not care if you wish to, I will not. Then again I just choose to live where I have very few neighbors, so it isn't much of an issue.

As for what others do with their property, that is their business, not mine.
    Well If the people down the road from us ( about 4 miles give or take a fence post or two) we in charge of a HOA my my Blue Lives Matter, USMC, and United States Flag would be in direct violation according to them. So what is not to love about a HOA? Not saying all that are bad but there are some, well we will just leave it at that.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It is good you know what you want and have that option. If I live in a neighborhood with small lots, I for one do not want to look at a boat or RV at every house on the block. I do not want to listen to the air compressor running air tools doing brake jobs for friends, I don't want the traffic of a homemade candy business, I don't want to see all the Chinese made plastic backyard play toys or sheds, the list could continue but you get the idea. If you don't want that there are places for that.

A persons changing interests have no bearing on the agreement with the neighbors as to how they will live. Millions of people get into boats, RV's, shooting, restoring a vehicles, and figure out how to do it without violating their agreement.

Freedom is often mentioned in this thread without ever touching on an important aspect of freedom, that is the freedom from something is never acknowledged only the freedom to.

Your freedom from something, is your right to leave or relocate to somewhere you aren't subjected to what you choose not to be around. Your freedom is never an excuse to force others to live like you.
    You have mentioned a builders investment in building a neighborhood and using an HOA to protect that investment. Sorry man, but once I sign those papers, that is MY investment not the builders. Just like buying a car. Once you take my cash you forfeit any right to tell me I can't cut it up and make it how I want it.

I've never met you, but based solely on your strong advocacy of HOA's, I can't help but wonder if you are one of those who don the paper masks and demand the rest of us do the same because you know what's best for the rest of us.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, just your side of this seems to go against the grain of a community that enjoys rights while wanting less oversight from outside governing agencies.

If you (not you specifically) need an HOA to tell you how to live as an American citizen, then you suck as a person lol

Top Bottom