• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    You really need to handload for them and then they are no more expensive than a 44. I have a few of them and I can give you my detailed reasoning for owning them. I own them just because. Detailed enough reason. Guess I just like to be different. I will say this, for an unloved round if you have one and sell it will sell quickly and for a pretty penny.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    The .41 Mag was the brainchild of Elmer Keith. He envisioned it as a replacement law enforcement round as he considered the .38 close to worthless as a fighting cartridge. He got Smith and Remington together at the Shot Show and the former agreed to make the guns if the latter would make the ammo.

The Model 57 came in 4, 6, and 8 in bbl lengths and there was a Model 58 which was the M&P version which looked like a Model 10 on steroids. The 58's are as rare as hen's teeth. I've never even run across one at a gun show.

The law enforcement angle went over like a turd in the punch bowl. The .41 came only in the N frame which limited its appeal as a mass issued gun for LEO agencies, and calling it the .41 MAGNUM instead of the .41 POLICE (which is what Keith wanted to name it) scared LEO CEOs as well.

I have a 57 as one of my carry guns. If you want a defense cartridge that begins with "4" without the fire and brimstone of the .44 Mag and you have no aversion to big sixguns it's a fine choice.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Learned some new things in this thread.

Still waiting for a 45 acp lover to read about how good a stopper the 357 is though and offer a rebuttal

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Personally I'd like to get a .41 magnum because I enjoy shooting different calibers, and I have handguns chambered in surrounding calibers. So far I have .22lr, .22mag, 327 federal , 9mm, .357 magnum, .44 special, .44 magnum, .45 colt, .454 casull, .480 ruger, and 50-110. I figure I'll add a .41 mag, a 10mm, and .45 acp and pretty much be covered. I like having options.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Personally I'd like to get a .41 magnum because I enjoy shooting different calibers, and I have handguns chambered in surrounding calibers. So far I have .22lr, .22mag, 327 federal , 9mm, .357 magnum, .44 special, .44 magnum, .45 colt, .454 casull, .480 ruger, and 50-110. I figure I'll add a .41 mag, a 10mm, and .45 acp and pretty much be covered. I like having options.

BFR, you'll find that the factory loads for the .41 fall into two general categories: a Keith-style semi-wadcutter that was meant to be the law enforcement load, and a hotter offering, often in a hollowpoint, for those who want their .41 to emulate a .44.

I've never even owned any of the hot ones. I carry a .44 in bear country and the .41 LEO load is PLENTY for any two-legged varmint, and way more fun to shoot than the other ones.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The .41 Magnum falls in the same realm as the .38 Super and the 16 gauge....Some people are collectors of brands of firearms, types of firearms, etc...Other's get into the cartridge....The cartridges mentioned fall into the latter....

Folks that have them love them and they will hand load and get every model firearm they can chambered in that round.....

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The .41 Magnum falls in the same realm as the .38 Super and the 16 gauge....Some people are collectors of brands of firearms, types of firearms, etc...Other's get into the cartridge....The cartridges mentioned fall into the latter....

Folks that have them love them and they will hand load and get every model firearm they can chambered in that round.....

I also thought the 38 Super wasn't a bad cartridge however short of IPSC competitors in open division it has fell out of favor, especially in the last 10 years with the increase of 9mm 1911 offerings.

The 41 still has it's merits you just might have to handload to keep it fed.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ...Other's get into the cartridge....The cartridges mentioned fall into the latter....

^This I understand.
    Can't say why, but I've fallen in love with the .327Federal magnum.

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    ^This I understand.
    Can't say why, but I've fallen in love with the .327Federal magnum.
    The .327 federal is a neat cartridge. I have a Ruger Single Seven that I love and when I find a .327 LCR I'll jump on it providing I have the funds.
    I can relate to what indiucky said, I like cartridges that aren't as common sometimes, as well as guns. I mainly like revolvers and prefer magnums.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    .41 mag is the middle child.
    Not a bad athlete or scholar, does his chores OK too.

A boring kid, that appears to wear a husky size, but is more probably a slim.

Buy a .44 mag and a .357, skip the .41

Most do.

I didn't buy all the gunwriter praise of the .41 mag when I was a kid and my dad's buds bought them, brought them to the range.
    Still don't.

With that logic, couldn't you just get a .41 magnum and have one gun instead of having to buy two? :dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The .327 federal is a neat cartridge. I have a Ruger Single Seven that I love and when I find a .327 LCR I'll jump on it providing I have the funds.
    I can relate to what indiucky said, I like cartridges that aren't as common sometimes, as well as guns. I mainly like revolvers and prefer magnums.

I have a Taurus J frame .327 and a Ruger SP101 in .327.
    I'd like to find a Blackhawk or Single Seven but they're pretty spendy these days.
    What I'd REALLY like is for someone to produce a .327 lever-action carbine!

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I have a Taurus J frame .327 and a Ruger SP101 in .327.
    I'd like to find a Blackhawk or Single Seven but they're pretty spendy these days.
    The Blackhawks go for quite a bit when they come up for sale, not sure about the Single Sevens now. A .327 lever action would be awesome. I heard Henry is making a .41 mag lever action now so maybe a .327 wouldn't be too much of a stretch popularity wise? Personally I'd prefer one on the winchester 92 action but that's just me.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

If it continues to catch on, I could see it happening. It would be the modern analog of a lever gun in 32-20, but easier to reload (straight wall and carbide dies FTW) and with a lot more cartridge versatility (hopefully at a minimum it would feed .32 H&R mag and .32 S&W long too). With full power .327 ammo it would be pretty flat shooting for a PCC and useful on coyote size and smaller varmints. If you needed to be discrete while eliminating a pest, .32 S&W long would do the job. The cowboy shoot gamers would probably like it for reduced recoil and faster follow up shots...and I know enough of them already use revolvers in .32 H&R mag that a couple of powder companies have developed cowboy load data. If you take it all together, I can see a viable (but not huge) market for your carbine :)

Edited to add: It should definitely be on the Win 92 action.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    After using the Redhawk, Blackhawk and S&W I stayed with the Blackhawk.
    The .41 has enough metal removed to turn that .357 frame into a pretty decent six gun.
    The mold selections are nice, everything from full wadcutter to medium round nose and SWC's to heavies.
    Be it bunny rollers or 40-65 duplication loads (see below) it's easy to do with the Blackhawk.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Next I'm a gonna feed it some black powder behind the NEI #217A, a 185 grain round nose.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I am a big fan of the 327 mag. I thought that it would go over big. So much for that. I have been trying to get a S&W with a 3" barrel and have not been able to find one. I have seen it advertised on the net but it's always out of stock. I think it would be a good concealed carry gun. I still don't know why it didn't go over better.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    With that logic, couldn't you just get a .41 magnum and have one gun instead of having to buy two? :dunno:

Owning one gun is not logical.
    But if one were to disregard such supposed logic, then get the .44 magnum.
    If one wants to get in touch with their feminine side, shoot .44 specials..... or reload for even less boom.

Top Bottom