Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've got a couple of cousins that are down there frequently for weeks at a time on projects they are involved with. They love the place.

Fun fact.... Lots of Mennonite folks in Belize.

I hope you like heat and humidity!

I'm ok with heat and humidity, my tolerance for cold gets a little less every year. From what I've been reading, February seems like a pretty good time to go, though. Seems like their rainy season is well named...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The wife and I used to go to Cancun or Cozumel regularly and stay a week or more. We could stay at the resorts and walk into the downtown area of Cancun and walk back after dark without a worry. When the first tourist was killed in Cancun due to cartel activity we stopped going. We enjoyed ourselves but there are certain places you shouldn't be after dark, and Cancun made the list several years ago.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    While there are many great places to travel in the 50 United States, it's fun to (at least occasionally) travel internationally as well. It gives you a taste of something different. I would be interested in going to Mexico, but not with the current crime climate there. It's close (relatively) and the beach resorts have great weather & activities. If the Mexican authorities ever get the crime & corruption under control, it would be fun. (I know, fat chance though...)

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    While there are many great places to travel in the 50 United States, it's fun to (at least occasionally) travel internationally as well. It gives you a taste of something different. I would be interested in going to Mexico, but now with the current crime climate there. It's close (relatively) and the beach resorts have great weather & activities. If the Mexican authorities ever get the crime & corruption under control, it would be fun. (I know, fat chance though...)
    I have been a few times, only the last time did I run into any trouble.

Wait until August and hit Canada. Loads of amazing national parks and Toronto is one of my favourite cities, for the food alone. Toronto has amazing pubs as well, but some of those you will need a local guide to even find(that unmarked basement door with no sign is a pub?..."you betcha"...me oh wow...it seats 15! Food was great though).

I have had many fun adventures in Canada.

I have been to 17 national parks in the lower 48 states(and 46 states...skipped that little northwest corner). No idea how many state parks,but lots. Visited museum's, libraries, aquariums, zoo's , taken architectural tours(in public groups and just me admiring some of our early handy work in places like Philadelphia) , and of course tried out lots of food. I probably do it cheaper than most. I am not above staying at hostels(to much of a backpacker) or even pitching a tent. I stay in some nice hotels or resorts as well, but not for long. When I travel I tend to keep moving either place to place or hiking. A hotel stay usually is for a day of rest, laundry, order room service and sleep.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have been a few times, only the last time did I run into any trouble.

Wait until August and hit Canada. Loads of amazing national parks and Toronto is one of my favourite cities, for the food alone. Toronto has amazing pubs as well, but some of those you will need a local guide to even find(that unmarked basement door with no sign is a pub?..."you betcha"...me oh wow...it seats 15! Food was great though).

I have had many fun adventures in Canada.

I have been to 17 national parks in the lower 48 states(and 46 states...skipped that little northwest corner). No idea how many state parks,but lots. Visited museum's, libraries, aquariums, zoo's , taken architectural tours(in public groups and just me admiring some of our early handy work in places like Philadelphia) , and of course tried out lots of food. I probably do it cheaper than most. I am not above staying at hostels(to much of a backpacker) or even pitching a tent. I stay in some nice hotels or resorts as well, but not for long. When I travel I tend to keep moving either place to place or hiking. A hotel stay usually is for a day of rest, laundry, order room service and sleep.
    We're doing a mini vacation next month, calling it the Aquarium Tour '24; we're hitting Newport aquarium the first day, Lane Motor Museum in Nashville the next day, the Gatlinburg aquarium the next day, Chattanooga aquarium the next day and then head home. Or at least that's the plan right now, we don't really like to plan too much so we pick a direction and possible destinations and then just go with the flow.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Wait until August and hit Canada. Loads of amazing national parks and Toronto is one of my favourite cities, for the food alone. Toronto has amazing pubs as well...

Funny thing about Canada: I have been there many times, and actually worked in Toronto for close to a year (in 2001). I enjoyed it when I was there. Tim Hortons, Licks burgers, many local places I can't remember, cheese curds, ... But I'd never go there now with the way Trudeau has ruined it. It is now nearly impossible to transport a firearm of any kind (even unloaded while traveling.) They have never been "gun friendly", but the absolute mess they've made over the past few years is horrifying. Also, their terrible crackdowns on free speech are a travesty.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Funny thing about Canada: I have been there many times, and actually worked in Toronto for close to a year (in 2001). I enjoyed it when I was there. Tim Hortons, Licks burgers, many local places I can't remember, cheese curds, ... But I'd never go there now with the way Trudeau has ruined it. It is now nearly impossible to transport a firearm of any kind (even unloaded while traveling.) They have never been "gun friendly", but the absolute mess they've made over the past few years is horrifying. Also, their terrible crackdowns on free speech are a travesty.
    True. I have not been there since...2016. So has been awhile. That trip I went to Glacier and then ALL the way to Montreal, then did a trip to NH to see family before driving back to Indiana.

I had a friend in 1998 who forgot she had a loaded pistol. She almost did jail time in Canada for that, and was barred from entering again for 5 years. She was at a drive through checkpoint. They filed the charge, kept the firearm, and made her leave Canada. Later she got the order in the mail barring her from entering Canada for 5 years(or she could pay a $5000.00 dollar fine and be allowed re-entry),she choose to stay out of Canada.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I walked across at Del Rio TX/Acuna MX with family back in 2009 after hiking 30 miles at Big Bend National Park. It was neat to see a true Mexican town, have a beer 25 cent Dos Eqquis and some of the best margaritas I've ever had at 19 years old. Also bought 3 fifths of premium tequila for less than $15 total. I'm glad I went back then, but there is no way I would go now.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    My wife and I have gone to Mexican all-inclusive resorts every 2-3 years. We love the food, the beach, and the day trips to Mayan ruins. We have never had any problems, except last time when our “private taxi”to our resort, arranged through the travel agency, was just a guy in a car and it made my wife nervous (she whispered to me “what if he is kidnapping us”. That was in 2022, and I have been looking at trips for this summer. However, I think we will go back to the Dominican Republic. It has all of the +’s of Mexico, except that it doesn’t have historic sites to visit, but less current violence. Plus. They have a drink called a ”Sammie Sosa” that is delicious

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    We're doing a mini vacation next month, calling it the Aquarium Tour '24; we're hitting Newport aquarium the first day, Lane Motor Museum in Nashville the next day, the Gatlinburg aquarium the next day, Chattanooga aquarium the next day and then head home. Or at least that's the plan right now, we don't really like to plan too much so we pick a direction and possible destinations and then just go with the flow.
    I went to the Chattanooga Aquarium in 2010, it was an awesome way to spend the day.

Top Bottom