• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gundoc111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Indy
    I'm sorry but I cannot recommend Elmore's. I've never been in there and actually left feeling satisfied. They always seem too busy smoking or chatting with a regular to give you the time of day. And if you do get their attention, don't be surprised if they stand their idly as if you are wasting their time.

Could be due to my age, but I don't feel they have ever taken me seriously.

Wow! Sounds like the crew from Pops Guns, or whatever they are called these days. I gave up on them and I am not young.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    PSS

Looking to pick up a Springfield Armory XDm 9mm, I had looked at Cheaper Than Dirt and was going to order and then I did a search for reviews about CTD and saw a lot of negative reviews. So please help me out, which online dealer is low priced and yet still is honest and ships product quickly.

Try Plainfield Shooting Supplies in Plainfield. Bob is a great guy and his prices are always good. Simply put, support a LOCAL Gun Store.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I've shopped around and people are right, your LGS is typically a better option and once you factor in any shipping fees and transfer fees the LGS may end up being comparably priced if not better than online. Personally, I like Indy Gun Safety. They have a small but good selection and I know the owner likes and stocks Springfields. And, if they don't have it in stock you can order it from their distributor and have it sent to the store free of charge.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    buds and kentucky gun company are pretty hard to beat. i like to try the local shops but around here in southern indiana very few can even come close to matching the online prices. both that i listed are usually free shipping as well, just have to pay the transfer fee

Madjack181

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Rochester
    Just used Bud's Guns for the first time. It was a straight forward process and would do it again. Only used them because my LGS didn't have what I wanted. Still used them to receive my order and transfer.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    You're in indy. Check out bradis in camby. They will treat you seriously, respect you and answer any questions you have. And by the time you're done with ffl fees and shipping, a lgs will be within 20 bucks anyway. Stop in and chat. Spend 20 minutes at a lgs and make a friend. Just my 2 cents

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    buds and kentucky gun company are pretty hard to beat. i like to try the local shops but around here in southern indiana very few can even come close to matching the online prices. both that i listed are usually free shipping as well, just have to pay the transfer fee[/QUOT
    I also like to buy local but have found Buds to be much cheaper than I can buy here at home.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I just prefer to shop locally when possible. I like to spend my dollars in my own community even if it costs me a little more. Plus, what about customer service? I'm speaking of online retailers in general, but what happens if the product is defective? With a local shop you can walk right in, but in some cases good luck getting in touch with online retailers.

Sadly, I saw an earlier post on here that said Indy Gun Safety is closing their gun store and will focus exclusively on training.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've used several online sites with good luck:

GrabAGun, Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore, Impact Guns, CDNN Sports and others. Like has been posted, you can use GunWatcher to look for the best prices to narrow down your selection, or to use for pricing information when you go to a LGS. I'd buy local if you can get the deal close and if you can afford the extra. I like to support a LGS when I can, but it's not always possible, especially when the pricing is $50 or more off (with shipping and FFL fee).

Oh and I had the same poor experience in Elmore's and have also decided not to visit again. Too many LGS's that treat customers well to go back to one that acts like you're wasting their time. I recommend USDS off of County Line and US37. Awesome gun shop and the guys really know how to treat customers. I also recommend BGF and PSS. Good luck either way and welcome to the forum!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Personally, I see analogies to this "buy local, from a LGS" and previous campaigns about buying American made, buy union-made, etc. I work for a large auto manufacturer and many of the same reasons why people don't buy from GM, Ford, and Chrylser anymore are the reasons LGSs are going to have a hard time staying relative.

When you were the only game in town and people didn't have much choice to put up with your markups, poor service, and limited selection you could make a good living. How many folks (it would have to be us older members) have sworn off a car company because of the way you were treated or found their business practices distasteful only to go back because the other dealer in town was as bad. All of a sudden there was competition and over time market share dropped. There are other issues at work for this to be a perfect analogy but in regards to customer service, I think it holds up pretty well.

Well, the LGSs are under similar pressures. There'll always be some brand loyalty (to given LGSs) just as with the Chevy guys or Ford guys but most people are going to go where they get a better deal. Yeah, on-line purchases don't have the human factor but then again, you don't have to put up with personalities. From the comfort of your home you can pit one dealer against another the get the best deal you can. You don't have to travel all over the county(ies) looking for the right model and trying to figure out who's going to get you the best deal.

I've noticed that we all want to protect certain markets that mean something to us. Some want to protect the small, mom & pop retail business from the Walmarts, some want to protect US manufacturers from foreign imports, and others want to protect LGSs...all the while we're shopping at Walmart/Meijers/Costco/Target, we're buying that cheaper Chinese made tool at Lowes, and many of us are going to buy a gun $50-100 cheaper from a on-line site. It's just the way things go.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have bought quite a few guns from what I consider my 2 local gun shops (Midwest and ZX). I have never bought a gun from an online retailer... yet. I have bought ammo online a few times because I got it on sale and probably almost a third off of what I would have paid local. When you buy bulk, that adds up to quite a difference. But I must admit that I am struggling with my next planned purchase as it seems to be very available online for more than $100 less than it would be local. But I will be saving my nickels for a few months and will see how things look when the time comes.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Looking to pick up a Springfield Armory XDm 9mm, I had looked at Cheaper Than Dirt and was going to order and then I did a search for reviews about CTD and saw a lot of negative reviews. So please help me out, which online dealer is low priced and yet still is honest and ships product quickly.

For the Springfield XD series, try Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore in Ohio. They generally have the best pricing online for the XD, XDm and XDs. They also offer free shipping on your entire order with any gun purchase. And they have a very quick turn-around. Oh yea... No credit card fees either.

Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore | Online Shopping for Firearms, Ammunition and Shooting Accessories

For online purchases I use Kentucky Gun Company and Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. For my LGS purchases I use Plainfield Shooter's Supply, Beech Grove Firearms and Bradis. I have not had a bad experience with any of my transactions, local or online.

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I've only bought twice online and that was because my LGS couldn't get it

I like shopping at USDS mainly

But I also like Indy Trading Post, Elmore's, and Plainfield Shooting Supply

cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    I know the guys at Parabellum will do their best to match anyone else and by the time you pay shipping and transfer many times it's just as cost effective to buy local. I've also noticed they will throw in free range time to sweeten a deal and make it right. They may have to order what you want but supporting locals, especially someone that has invested the money to build an indoor range, seems like the best idea to me.

Top Bottom