Who Has Ever Burned Their Hands Or Fingers On A Hot Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The first time I ever used my AAC M4-2000 (suppressor), I grabbed it with my bare hand after doing a mag dump.

That shooting session ended, I went home and held a bag of ice for three days!

I was lucky I didn't get 3rd degree burns or cause serious damage to my hand.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I can say I never have been burned, but I do remember one very bad case. We were qualifying that day on our 240's in Iraq since our CO pushed weapon proficiency. We had 4 240B's and one 240C or G? if I remember the designations right. Nonetheless it lacked the front heat shield/hand guard.

Anyway after 3 or 4 groups of the day shot it was nearing the end of our range time. Well one moron decided to casually pick up the weapon without looking for the carry handle and grabbed the barrel. Oh the smell of burned flesh, I couldn't help but laugh even though it looked very nasty the next day.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    A few times over the years...LOL Only got blisters once that I can remember. That was a Rem 700 in .270 we was shooting one day. Sit it up against the table. Went to pick it up by the barrel and had not cooled down enough. Was not thinking at all, because I normally did not shoot that often in a short period of time. It was about a 100 degrees that day in West Texas.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Totally taken hot brass down the shirt, as well.
    The shirt is tricky. I was offered help to retrieve it by the person saving brass for reloads, but politely turned down the SAR mission amid my rain dance.
    P.S. The dance worked because it rained on the way home.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used to grab my AR by the barrel after firing it at least once or twice a year. I've managed to avoid it in 2009. Whew!

I've had several second and third degree burns from hot .223/5.56 brass and still have the scars to show from it. If you participate in a rifle class with a high volume of fire and the students are kept close together, it's going to happen to you sooner or later.

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    The funniest i ever witnessed was a guy dump 3 30 rd mas out of a FA Thompson and went to hand it to his brother.I'll give you one guess what
    the brother grabbed it by.:laugh:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I used to grab my AR by the barrel after firing it at least once or twice a year. I've managed to avoid it in 2009. Whew!

I've had several second and third degree burns from hot .223/5.56 brass and still have the scars to show from it. If you participate in a rifle class with a high volume of fire and the students are kept close together, it's going to happen to you sooner or later.

LOL

I still remember the brass hanging from your NECK! :laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    LOL

I still remember the brass hanging from your NECK! :laugh:

That's one of the worst parts ... when you're sweaty, it sticks. Then it burns into your skin if you don't brush it off quickly enough.

I have photos of some uglier brass burns I had from a few years ago, both raw images and photoshopped to make them look more like they do to the naked eye. :D

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've burnt myself several times touching hot guns, I think everybody who is around them long enough will do it occasionally. I think hot brass is the worst. My M1 carbine and 1911 both seem to eject straight up alot and fall right back down on me.

Top Bottom