• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    yeah, but most officers would be happy to run a check on a firearm for you (in my experience).....although, if it comes back that it is stolen they are required to confiscate it

Exactly why it should be run before you purchase. In my experience their are always officers at gun shows. You can probably tell the seller to follow you over to one of the cops so they can run the serial number. If the seller refuses or gives a lame excuse why you shouldn't bother with it, then it would be a good indicator not to purchase. :-)

blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    remember the good old days--prior to 1968 when there was no 4473 forms. Walk in the hardware store,pay for the gun and walk out-no hassle or bs. Criminals were treated as such and we were left alone. For you younger folks out there it really was that way. I really do miss those days. Best regards:patriot:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Guns shows don't bother me but I never buy guns in a McDonald's or Walmart parking lot. I know, call me crazy but I just don't do that.

Stolen guns tend to be moved in large numbers through channels, not by individuals at gun shows. The internet scares me more than gun shows.

Most of you guys on here are freaks in real life.

JohnnyTre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Jasper County
    I have found that prices are better when purchasing from individuals than through gunshop or gunshow. If I had a bad feeling about the sale then I would not go through with the sale.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    I assume this question was about buying from privated citizens at a gun show, not from a dealer inside where you'll still fill out all the paperwork.
    It's just like buying from the classifieds, no way of knowing. I do know I wouldn't give a stranger my ID nos., LTCH, and all my other personal info. And not giving up serial off gun either, except maybe in presence of LEO actually doing a check, as long as buyer is paying for it. If you're that scared of doing business with someone, stick to the dealers.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    You guys do realize a 4473 doesn't check if the gun is stolen, don't you? As far as I know, dealers have the exact same resources to find out if a gun is stolen (ask the police who maintain such a database). If you are buying a used gun, it could be stolen. Period. If you don't want to buy a stolen gun, only buy new guns from established dealers. If you do buy used guns, don't worry after the fact, and certainly don't ask questions after the fact, unless you want to hand over that rare 1911 you just payed $1000 for.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    someone correct me if I'm wrong, however I'm pretty sure that the 1500 requires all sold firearms fill out the appropriate forms and background checks for guns sold at tables...that being said I'm sure a reported stolen serial number would "raise a flag"...and probably not going to happen at the 1500....so I wouldn't worry about it there.............personally, unless you're going to call the state police and report each of your firearms purchases to them in case it may be stolen...why would you worry about it unless you're doing something illegal which requires them to check on the weapon.......I personally do not worry about any of it but I also do not sell much....the only time I sell a gun is IF I come across a great deal on something that I know someone else is looking for...
    I guess you take the same chance if you buy a gun off of armslist, hoosier topics or, who knows maybe even INGO:dunno:. The last handgun I traded for at the 1500 I had to ask the guy for a receipt, and that was at his table!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    *noob question alert*

isn't there a website one can go to check the serial number to see if the gun is stolen?

Unfortunately no. There are a few sites around that list stolen gun numbers, but they all are incomplete. For example, there is a sticky on INGO where people can report stolen guns and serial numbers here.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Most of the purchases I've gotten at gun shows have been ammo, holsters, magazines etc. My last trip to the 1500 I even bought a custom made cowboy belt/holster for my GP 100. Not practical, but damn cool!

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I sold a gun at show this weekend. Nothing exchanged except money, gun, and a handshake. It is registered to me. Now I'm thinking what if he shoots someone?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Gander (yeah I know) said generally when FFL's buy a used gun to sell often they don't have the number run... if they do and say IMPD runs it and it comes back clean there is a chance that it is stolen out of another state but is not in IMPD system...

I know a few cops that buy and sell used guns.... One guy on here had a gun that he sold and years later the feds called askng about a gun he had registered to him that was used in a crime or something.... he said he had sold that gun years ago... fed asked if he remembered the name, he said no and the fed said okay and to have a nice day.

I do know a local though that will not sell a gun of his without a transfer though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I sold a gun at show this weekend. Nothing exchanged except money, gun, and a handshake. It is registered to me. Now I'm thinking what if he shoots someone?
    Registered? How?

I've got a whole stack of guns, and none have ever been "registered". Heck, a few are from before those 4473 checks existed.

A simple "it was sold XX years back. I no longer own that firearm" should suffice. I doubt a judge would issue a warrant based just on a 4473.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have only ever bought 1 gun from a show before and I've been to about a dozen. Its rare for me to find exactly what "I'm" looking for at a show, but I go none the less just to see whats out there, and also mostly to gather accessories for my current stock. As for fear of buying a stolen gun, you will always have that if you don't know where the gun started from. If you at all think it might be, or the person your buying from seems shady in any way then don't buy it.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Personally, I put together a standard, "boilerplate" bill of sale with blanks for all of the pertinent info on the weapon, the seller and myself. Always have at least two copies with me: one for me and one for the seller. That way, everybody's covered, IMHO.

If somebody balks at showing me at least a IN DL and/or having his name and the number recorded on the BoS, I'll simply walk away with a "thank you for your time, but no, thanks". For a handgun I will want to see a current IN PP permit, too.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Doesn't matter if it's private or a gun show. I call the local PD and have them run the number. This isn't fool proof, it just shows if the gun has been REPORTED stolen. But get the sellers info from ID and I haven't had a problem yet.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    well there is alot of risk involved in a private sale really no different than buying a car and not knowing if it a lemon or not.... but i alway do a bill of sale and must see both a id and license to carry.... however most of my buys are c&r so that helps a little not many criminals are stealling mosin nagants and masers over a glock or other realated firearms.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Stolen guns?

What would happen in the event that a weapon had a history of being stolen at one time? At one point some guns were stolen from my moms house and we were notified that a pawn shop had recovered them but they were still never returned to us. So I am assuming that the pawn shop sold them to someone else? I'm asking.:dunno:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Exactly why it should be run before you purchase. In my experience their are always officers at gun shows. You can probably tell the seller to follow you over to one of the cops so they can run the serial number. If the seller refuses or gives a lame excuse why you shouldn't bother with it, then it would be a good indicator not to purchase. :-)

^^^ Follow this rule and you should be fine!

Top Bottom