• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've got a P3AT...so I'm going to vote for the P3AT. Mine's been reliable and of course it's very easily concealable.

If I were to somehow lose my KT, and the price difference between the KT and the Ruger were indeed $10-20, I might go with the LCP (I'm a Ruger fan in general.) If not though, I would not have a single hang up with buying another P3AT and would do so in a second.

I've seen a few reviews of the KT and Ruger head to head...most of them have the guns performing about even. The Ruger does get the nod in fit and finish.
    Range Report .380 - Ruger LCP vs KelTec P3AT

At the time I was shopping for a .380 pocket gun, a prettier gun didn't warrant the price difference to me.

selynn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    for concealed carry?

Kel-Tec P3AT
    NAA Guardian
    Ruger LCP

Likes? Dislikes? Why?

I have the Kel-Tec P3AT and the LCP. I like them both BUT I also have a Sig 238. WAY BETTER !!! A bit larger but it is soooooo sweet. You might try one out.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    How is the KT a better value? The Ruger should be within $10 or $20 in price at most reasonable vendors, and I would think the improvement in the trigger pull and overall quality would be worth that.

Better warranty? Ruger has no expressed warranty, but in reality, they will stand behind their products and take care of their customers. I've never known Ruger to refuse to service one of their guns, be it new or used.

Finally, in what forums or publications have you seen the P3AT and LCP tested head-to-head in an apples-to-apples comparison? I'd be interested in seeing those results for myself.

Value: Functionally speaking, a gun that does the same thing as another gun, just as reliably and accurately (more so in some reviews) for less money, is, I think, prima facie, a better value. The LCPs I've seen have been significantly more expensive than the P3AT thus far ($50-100 or 20-30% the cost of the gun). If you know of a source for new LSPs for less than $300 please PM me. This is for my value structure which is based solely on performance. If a potential buyer values fit/finish more highly that may help the LCP.

Warranty: Kel-Tec has a lifetime warranty. Ruger doesn't have a warranty. Hence, Kel-Tec has a better warranty, again prima facie. You're correct, Ruger's service seems to be pretty good. I never said it wasn't, just that Kel-Tec has a better warranty (which they do).

One head to head review has already been posted in this thread. There was also one in the Dec. '08/Jan '09 issue of Handguns.

Weirdest review I ever saw. The Kel-Tec was the clear winner by the data and the reviewer picked the LCP! Just goes to show how subject this can be. I'll PM you.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Ruger LCP

Ruger LCP
    I was fortunate to pick one up a weel ago today (on ingunowners.com from NWIeng) and I have to say...nice little gun.
    Not to knock the Keltec, but;

The Ruger LCP...
    Feels better in my hand,
    More refined (better finishing),
    Much smoother trigger,
    and (it may have been me or the trigger) more accurate at 7 yards than the and the 642 J-frame.
    Fits nicer in the pocket (front or back) than the Airweight.

I am a huge fan of the S&W j-frame but see myself carrying the LCP much more regardless of the argument in regards to stopping power (shot placement=stopping power)

The Ruger LCP (and Keltec) are difficult to come by at gunshops though, at least up north.

All in all, nice little gun.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Ruger LCP
    I was fortunate to pick one up a weel ago today (on ingunowners.com from NWIeng) and I have to say...nice little gun.
    Not to knock the Keltec, but;

The Ruger LCP...
    Feels better in my hand,
    More refined (better finishing),
    Much smoother trigger,
    and (it may have been me or the trigger) more accurate at 7 yards than the and the 642 J-frame.
    Fits nicer in the pocket (front or back) than the Airweight.

I am a huge fan of the S&W j-frame but see myself carrying the LCP much more regardless of the argument in regards to stopping power (shot placement=stopping power)

The Ruger LCP (and Keltec) are difficult to come by at gunshops though, at least up north.

All in all, nice little gun.
    :+1:

hunt3rsd3n

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've owned all three and like each. I like the Guardian since the grip position does not foster a slide bite. I love Glocks, since they are light weight, functional, and durable, so the LCP and Letec are great options. If I had to choose between the three, I would consider the light weight features of the Keltec and LCP as a major plus. Finish is also a factor, which is furhter supported by the later. Price points are all about the same, so that factor is marginal. All that being said, I think Keltec has flooded the market and they are everywhere and easily obtained. The LCP is the new kid on the block and the value is holding and a little harder for people to part with.

Verdict: LCP if you can get one.

dasanii19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    I wont carry a "pocket gun" over 10 oz. The LCP is a perfect pocket gun. The bersa is WAAAY to big and heavy.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Some specs for those interested in such things:

Bersa 380 - 6.61" L x 4.92" H x 1.34" W, 20.0 oz, 7+1 of 380ACP
    Kahr CW9 - 5.90" L x 4.50" H x 0.90" W, 17.7 oz, 7+1 of 9 mm

BTW, such guns are outside the physical size envelope (in terms of LxWxH) outlined in the original post by the candidates provided (although the NAA Guardian weighs 18.72 ounces and qualifies as what I consider a "chunk" for such an otherwise smallish gun).

Last edited:

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    well... I will put a plug in for the Thunder 380.

<------- See the picture to the left <--------

Nice little 380.. Shoots accurate, Cleans easy, has nice safety features, eventhough I disabled the Mag Safety. and wont break the wallet.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    With the Bersa, it depends on the pocket. I just got a pocket holster for my Bersa and it conceals well in a cargo pant pocket.(see my Holser thread) For an all around pocket gun though, I can admit that it might not fit the bill.

(wow, we have quite a few Bersa owners on here! We shoujld start our own group!)

sam2007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    + KelTec

I have owned a KelTec .380 for a couple of years and it has been completely problem free. While it might not be my hands down handgun of choice, when dress, etc mandates a small carry gun it cannot be beat. I have fired hundreds of round through this weapon without a malfunction. In fact I have tried to induce a failure by limp wristing my 3AT and PF9 without success. As far as .380s go, I would be very comfortable trusting this piece of equipment.

sunspot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2008
    Warsaw
    I'll join, Thunder 380 owner ! I love it, small enough to conceal, but large enough to feel like a real gun, and very accurate and dependable

John

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    It's a great value brand. Too bad I can't find anything but the 380 these days. I've been looking for a 9uc almost for 2 months without success.

There are plenty of subcompact 9's available all around Indy... and again, if you get a 380, you're gonna be practicing with self defense rounds... or pay $1.00 a round and buy online.. It's nowhere to be found in Indy (target rounds at least).

Interesting times we're in.. It's pretty sad to buy a gun for the ammo instead of the other way around. :rolleyes:

robitraw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Noblesville
    I just bought the P3AT.... Its light and slim... easy to put in your pocket and with the pocket clip that I bought for it, its easy to get out as well. On the other side because it is so light, your hand feels it the next day after shooting. Not a plinker...
    just some thoughts

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    OP, your question was "which .380 for concealed carry?" If you're looking for just that, then I think the Bersa is a good choice for the $. However, a subcompant 9mm such as the KelTec PM9 or Walther PPS (I have the PPS) might be a better option, if you're not looking for a pocket pistol. Not much larger and a lot more bang.

If you want a .380 pocket pistol, then I can recommend the Kel Tec P3At. I have a Kel Tec with a Crimson Trace laser, works very well for what it is. In my experience, the LCP's were about $50 more than the Kel Tec.

Top Bottom