• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Kahr P380 when the become available. :)

Of the ones you mention, I'd take the LCP; it is more refined than the Kel-Tec, is much lighter and less expensive than the Guardian, and has a better trigger than both.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The LCP all the way.

Even when I carry a larger handgun, my LCP is with me 100% of the time.

My constant companion:
    deadmanslcpec1.jpg

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Well, since it hasn't been picked yet I will have to say the Kel-Tec. Mainly because it is the one I own and it is broken in and functions flawlessly with Winchester Silver Tips.

dasanii19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Kahr P380 when the become available. :)

Of the ones you mention, I'd take the LCP; it is more refined than the Kel-Tec, is much lighter and less expensive than the Guardian, and has a better trigger than both.

I cant track down the Kahr P380 for the life of me. I have called 10 gun shops all over the US trying to find one in stock.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Of the ones listed by the OP. I vote Kel-Tec. Better value for the dollar than the LCP. Better warranty. In the tests I've seen it comes out on top by objective measures (reliability, accuracy, etc). The LCP IS more cosmetically pleasing, however (nicer fit and finish and all that).

If one gets scope creep and starts looking at guns the size of the Bersa Thunder 380/SIG P232/Walther etc., (a different size category, IMO) one might as well carry a 9mm.

Last edited:

MoviePro314

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    NW IN
    9mm vs 380

I intend to carry a 9mm, strongly considering the P250 for its size/feel and price.

The 380 is meant to be a rig that is easier to carry/conceal on a daily basis, when the 9mm would be too large/uncomfortable.

Of the ones listed by the OP. I vote Kel-Tec. Better value for the dollar than the LCP. Better warranty. In the tests I've seen it comes out on top by objective measures (reliability, accuracy, etc). The LCP IS more cosmetically pleasing, however (nicer fit and finish and all that).

If one gets scope creep and starts looking at guns the size of the Bersa Thunder 380/SIG P232/Walther etc., (a different size category, IMO) one might as well carry a 9mm.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Have you considered a 9mm as a second, smaller gun? The ammo compatability would be nice. Something like the Kahr PM9 maybe (although this may be more $$ than you want to spend).

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I vote Kel-Tec. Better value for the dollar than the LCP. Better warranty. In the tests I've seen it comes out on top by objective measures (reliability, accuracy, etc).

How is the KT a better value? The Ruger should be within $10 or $20 in price at most reasonable vendors, and I would think the improvement in the trigger pull and overall quality would be worth that.

Better warranty? Ruger has no expressed warranty, but in reality, they will stand behind their products and take care of their customers. I've never known Ruger to refuse to service one of their guns, be it new or used.

Finally, in what forums or publications have you seen the P3AT and LCP tested head-to-head in an apples-to-apples comparison? I'd be interested in seeing those results for myself.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I vote for the Bersa .380 also.

I hated my LCP - deeply; except it was easy to throw in the pocket for quick trips

But in reality, the way things are right now, I vote for D - none of the above. Only because the ammo you CAN find for those .380's is gonna cost you $1.00 per round or more, because you just can't find target rounds. So you'll be practicing with self defense rounds. For the money, you might as well use that money you'd be blowing on ammo and buy a .45.

All ammo is scarce right now, but .380 is just out of control.

That's just my :twocents:

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm not sure how you wouldn't like the LCP, I really like mine...... I agree that the Bersa is neat but it's not much smaller them my .45 sub Glock.

Ruger380LCP002.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Have you considered a 9mm as a second, smaller gun? The ammo compatability would be nice. Something like the Kahr PM9 maybe (although this may be more $$ than you want to spend).

This is a suggestion that deserves a second thought. The Kahr PM9 is an interesting piece, and is quite a bit lighter (and cheaper) than the MK series.

Are there any members who have a PM9? Would you consider it a "pocket pistol"?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    The MK40 is 5.35" x 4" x 0.94" and 23.1 oz. empty

The PM9 is 5.30" x 4" x 0.90" and 14 oz. empty

KT P3AT is 5.2" x 3.5" x 0.77" and 8.3 oz. empty

LCP is 5.16" x 3.6" x 0.82" and 9.4 oz. (didnt specify empty or loaded)

The Kahr PM9 may be a viable alternative to the pocket 380, and is the slightly smaller but much lighter than the 40 you have shot.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Are there any members who have a PM9? Would you consider it a "pocket pistol"?
    Well, this is not what the OP wanted, but yes, I consider the PM9 a reasonable pocket pistol. Mine has become my every day carry in front pocket. I also have an LCP so I have done real life comparison. Weight is the big difference in my opinion, but I can carry the PM9 as easy as the LCP. Shoots nice too. (Sorry for the Hi-Jack)
    Here are a couple of comparison shots:
    Hoster_SideBySide_1.jpg

Holster_Stacked_1.jpg

MoviePro314

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    NW IN
    9mm backup

I have considered it. I guess I just haven't found anything in the size that I was 100% impressed with. That being said, I haven't looked at the PM9.

Anyone have other suggestions for a small, easily concealable, 9mm?

Top Bottom