• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    At 61 I'm really thinking of relocating. I've spent most of my life in Lake County. (NOT THE JAIL). Over the last 10-15 years I've seen the area turn into just another suburb of Chicago. Not only that but I feel like I'm living in Chihuahua Mexico most of the time. I'm thinking of taking SS at 62 in couple months. I'd still need a part time job to make it. Employment opportunities around here are non existent. Where in Indiana can I move?

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Don't know what kind of employment you are looking for.

Also, what kind of area - Rural? Suburbs? City?

If you need a city for work, and wind up in the Indy area, some areas of the South side are your best value.

If you just want beautiful country, it is hard to beat Adams county in the West and Brown county South.

Best move of my life was getting out of the Chicago area. You will not regret it.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Johnson county is a nice place, you are close enough to Indy to have lots of opportunities but far enough away to enjoy a peacefull way of life.

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    I've spent 35 yrs with NCR (National Cash Register) working first on mechanical cash registers and accounting machines. In the late 70's as the industry migrated to electronics we were all trained on the emerging P.C. and associated software. After a buyout in 2001 I left NCR and have worked with less satisfaction for a couple major P.C. venders in a field service capacitiy. I am willing to do most anything partime within the capacity of my old body. SS allows about $1200 a month in additional income before penalties start. Basically I have no skills that would apply in a strickley rural envirenment. I know I'm probabley SOL but the thought of spending my final days in this area are really depressing.

Thanks for replies, Jim

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Elkhart/Lagrange counties are pretty nice places to live but the need to speak Mexican wouldn't be diminished in some of the towns. Land prices aren't cheap either. I would like to have a small farm out in the Amish area but have to have high speed internet for the job (not retirement age yet) so I have to live in town.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Hey Popeye! I'm from NWI as well and I plan to retire (in 80 years) to southern Indiana or the two states below. Better climate and I'm going to be a walmart greeter!

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've spent 35 yrs with NCR (National Cash Register) working first on mechanical cash registers and accounting machines. In the late 70's as the industry migrated to electronics we were all trained on the emerging P.C. and associated software. After a buyout in 2001 I left NCR and have worked with less satisfaction for a couple major P.C. venders in a field service capacitiy. I am willing to do most anything partime within the capacity of my old body. SS allows about $1200 a month in additional income before penalties start. Basically I have no skills that would apply in a strickley rural envirenment. I know I'm probabley SOL but the thought of spending my final days in this area are really depressing.

Thanks for replies, Jim

You would be a perfect school bus sub, they make (near Indy) 15.00 an hour.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    If you just want beautiful country, it is hard to beat Adams county in the West and Brown county South.

sorry to call you out but adams county is the next county south of fort wayne which is surely not on the west side.

since you are used to the northern area maybe you should consider angola or auburn. both cities are medium sized and have tons of lakes around to play on. you would be relatively close to fort wayne if you wanted to explore.

drymartini

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I live part time in Lake & part time in Hamilton counties. Hamilton county is very crowded-central IN is no big deal imho. When I'm 62-which is soon-wife & I are heading to Florida. Still crowded, but warm.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    If you do move to the Indy area, here are some things I've noted after spending about 31 of my 32 years here:

Johnson County and the east side of Indy through the next county over gets the worst weather as far as tornadoes, thunderstorms, and flooding goes (we always called Greenwood "Tornado Alley"). The northwest side and Boone County only do slightly better, but not much. Southeastern Hamilton County (Fishers/Noblesville area) does alright weather-wise, but we do get some good storms going through here... but they do just pass on through. As much as I want to pimp out Hamilton County, Johnson County does have some pretty good home prices compared to the north side.

Either way, stay out of Indianapolis, especially outside the 465 loop. They may have better snow removal, but there's also more traffic, more people, higher home prices, and generally less land to be peaceful on than there are in the 'burbs. :)

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    In a couple of months I'll have a better idea of what I'm going to do. Chances are I may get laid off. I'm the oldest, and the one with least seniority, on this the latest of the jobs I've had in the last few years. 35 years on one job puts you out of touch with what's going on in the employment scene. Last Friday we had an ice storm and temps went to -5. Of course at 5 a.m. the power went out and NIPSCO had no idea when it was gonna be restored. I stayed home from work because I'd have to take the dogs and hit a motel if the power didn't come back on. A long blackout with no one here puts me at the mercy of Gary and local thugs. Did I say I hate it here now?

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    i grew up in northern indiana (kosciusko county).

spent 4 years in tippecanoe county during college (west lafayette).

got married and lived in indy for about 5 years.

been in bartholomew county (columbus) for almost exactly 8 years now. i absolutely love columbus. the winters are much more mild than what we had up north but we still have definite seasons. columbus is a relatively small town, but still has all the necessities and a few amenities.

if you get the hankering for the big city life; indy, louisville and cincy are all no more than 1hr15min away.

if you want something rural (like us), you can actually find rural subdivisions and single homes on acreage down here.

i can't speak to the job market down here. i have been in sales positions for out of state companies since i have lived here. there are several big employers in the columbus and surrounding areas. cummins, toyota industrial, arvin meritor (or whatever it's called now), honda, enkei, aisin, valeo sylvania, delta faucet.

anyway, good luck in your (semi)retirement. give a visit to columbus some time and let us know what you think.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    sorry to call you out but adams county is the next county south of fort wayne which is surely not on the west side.

Sorry, I was thinking of Parke County (where Rockville and Turkey Run are). I didn't mix up the directions, I mixed up the names of the counties. :n00b:

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    Man honestly really anywhere in indy suburbs are horrible. Crime rates are really high, and people are just crazy these days. i suggest living in the country.

Top Bottom