• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvolz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Brookville
    Hello all. I am new here. Some great reading here. I was wondering where I could get training to get either the Florida or Utah CCW? I live near Brookville In. Does anyone know where any good classes are close to here? Any info. would be awesome!

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    I would check with gun/shooting supply stores. From time to time someone offers Utah classes at the local (Fort Wayne) Gander Mountain store.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Including Indiana, the Indiana LTCH is honored in 28 states.

With the FL permit, add the following additional seven states:
    DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, WA, WV

With the UT permit, add the following additional six states:
    DE, MN, NE, OH, WA, WV (neither KS nor NM honor the Utah permit)

The Florida permit does not require a special class; the Utah permit does. A DD214 or even a hunter safety course suffices for Florida.

The only reason for having the Utah permit over the Florida permit is Minnesota. If you travel to MN on a regular basis, the the UT permit is the way to go. Otherwise, you get more states with the FL permit and don't have to take a special (expensive) class.

For some unexplainable reason, the UT permit seems have some sort of undeserved "aura" about it.

mvolz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Brookville
    Thanks NIFT. Very useful info. All I want is to be legal in Ohio. I live very close to the Indiana-Ohio border and go to Ohio alot. I dont go to Kentucky much, but that is covered with the Indiana permit.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks NIFT. Very useful info. All I want is to be legal in Ohio. I live very close to the Indiana-Ohio border and go to Ohio alot. I dont go to Kentucky much, but that is covered with the Indiana permit.

I got the FL permit for just that reason. Gets me through Ohio. I have no need to go to MN. One might consider the AZ permit. I do not have the details, but it has often been mentioned as a cheaper alternative to Utah or FL.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I got the Florida right after I took NRA Basic Pistol. We're over in OH a few times a year and travel to FL as well so getting those states without taking the Utah class worked out pretty well.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Right. We wanted to do a family road trip to a Bass Pro Shop. Fairly close to the same distance to Cincy and Clarksville. We went with Clarksville (which led to a side trip to Evansville) because we wouldn't be crossing over into OH (neither one of us has a FL yet)

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    One might consider the AZ permit. I do not have the details, but it has often been mentioned as a cheaper alternative to Utah or FL.

True. The AZ permit is cheaper than FL, and it does not require a photo, but it is good for 5 years vs. 7 years for FL. The UT permit is the least expensive, but it requires a special, expensive class!

Ohio is wierd when it comes to reciprocation with Florida, Utah, and Arizona. On the OH AG website, all three, FL, UT, and AZ are listed as reciprocal with no qualifiers.

However, ...

If you dig a deeper and read the actual reciprocity agreement between OH and AZ, there is language in a sentence on the second page that seems to indicate one must be a resident of AZ for the AZ permit to be valid in OH. Handgunlaw.us (Gary Slider, WV), states OH does not accept the AZ permit for non-AZ residents.

However, ...

An extended conversation I had with the OH Asst. Attorney General at the Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy (OPOTA) ended with his saying he would simply say "yes" if any LEO asked whether the AZ permit is valid in OH for non-AZ residents.

However, ...

The OH AG also stated he cannot give a formal legal opinion on the matter--it is a legislative issue between OH and AZ.

Clear as mud?

The whole issue of recognition, reciprocity, and preemption among states is not a can of worms. It is a 55-gallon drum of worms, and the worms are always moving and always changing.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Including Indiana, the Indiana LTCH is honored in 28 states.

With the FL permit, add the following additional seven states:
    DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, WA, WV

With the UT permit, add the following additional six states:
    DE, MN, NE, OH, WA, WV (neither KS nor NM honor the Utah permit)

The Florida permit does not require a special class; the Utah permit does. A DD214 or even a hunter safety course suffices for Florida.

The only reason for having the Utah permit over the Florida permit is Minnesota. If you travel to MN on a regular basis, the the UT permit is the way to go. Otherwise, you get more states with the FL permit and don't have to take a special (expensive) class.

For some unexplainable reason, the UT permit seems have some sort of undeserved "aura" about it.

Agree with all of this. Unless MN is of particular use to you, Florida is the way to go.

Top Bottom