• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Montana gets colder than here. Just not as much wind with all the mountains.
    iu

:lmfao:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    The Ozarks (Missouri) are a beautiful part of the country. The weather is very similar to Indiana but the winters are not as bitter cold. We have vacationed there every June for the last 10 years and it has some very pretty country. It is also a red state politically and a 2A friendly state as well.
    My wife and I are planning on moving to Springfield MO in the next 4-5 years. I spent my childhood there before my family moved to Indiana, and still have family there. Beautiful place and you can get a really nice house for $300k. We are specifically looking in the Battlefield/Republic area.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    if you’ll be retired and not needing to find work, I’d find a quiet ridge or south facing slope in a poor/remote area of southern Indiana. it can be cheap, peaceful, pretty, and mild weather down here. hell plenty of folks move here from other states, even our forum is proof of that. we have big cities and airports not too far away when you’re itching to go. but as someone who moved to Oregon for a while - I’m definitely not against moving away. just sayin.

also i don’t get the disdain for our winter aesthetics. I’m a hobby photographer and avid fisherman, so a cloudy day is perfect for two of my fond hobbies. more folks should landscape and manage your property with dormant season in mind. everyone cares about spring but there’s lots of things, native especially, which can add wonderful layers to your property & promote wildlife.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I'm in southern Indiana right now, moved from the northern panhandle of Idaho mostly to be closer to help aging parents and college for the kids. The humidity here is brutal in the summer but the Indiana winters (if you call it that) is very very mild. A bit more colder near Ft Wayne, but still doesn't compare.

I've also lived in Texas for 20 years and the summers are getting hotter and longer. Over the next 10-20 years, I can only imagine what it's going to be like in the SW. Not someplace I want to spend my golden years living with mandatory AC and praying the power doesn't go out from extreme demand, not to mention the lack of water as Bug pointed out.

I've heard that Duluth Minnesota is becoming popular mostly to keep cool in the summer from passive lake effect cooling. Might be some truth to that in the next 20 years.

I know you want to be in a proper state with more civil liberties and pro 2A and not have snow or have humidity. If you can stand the summer heat, Texas or Oklahoma would be a decent pick. Texas Hill Country is nice but expensive and Austin is suffering from an influx of California transplants just like Idaho is. The Sooner state has very low cost of living and land is cheap.

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    My brother is currently in Texas. He says that they don't want to retire there due to the high property taxes. Once retired and on a limited income one would still be paying those high taxes, with the expectation that property taxes would likely continue to increase?! I have not looked into it to verify, but it might be something to research if considering Texas for retirement.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Over the next 10-20 years, I can only imagine what it's going to be like in the SW. Not someplace I want to spend my golden years living with mandatory AC….
    I’ve heard that southern Indiana will be Nashville TN climate in 25yr or so

im not excited for those humid summers (or next years lol) and will probably find myself in Minnesota or Michigan after family around here has passed

Gamori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2022
    Lake County
    Another vote for the Missouri Ozarks. You can be set up pretty nice within 10-15 minutes of Truman Lake/Lake of the Ozarks on 20-30 acres well within your budget. Good fishing. Nice huntable woods.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if you’ll be retired and not needing to find work, I’d find a quiet ridge or south facing slope in a poor/remote area of southern Indiana. it can be cheap, peaceful, pretty, and mild weather down here. hell plenty of folks move here from other states, even our forum is proof of that. we have big cities and airports not too far away when you’re itching to go. but as someone who moved to Oregon for a while - I’m definitely not against moving away. just sayin.

also i don’t get the disdain for our winter aesthetics. I’m a hobby photographer and avid fisherman, so a cloudy day is perfect for two of my fond hobbies. more folks should landscape and manage your property with dormant season in mind. everyone cares about spring but there’s lots of things, native especially, which can add wonderful layers to your property & promote wildlife.
    Terrible idea. No one should ever do that. Too dreary cold and far from everything. It would take all day to get to a hospital by donkey cart. Boring, nothing to do. Stay away from S Indiana what ever you do.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We plan to keep our southern Indiana property and build a small house/cabin on it as a home base, then spend roughly 1/2 the year with a rental in Portugal or Spain, then home half the year. I don't know how living abroad fits with your lifestyle or political needs, but if you like to travel then why put a bunch of money into a new house when you can pick up and go as you like with the same dough. I get some people need to be closer to family or friends and it's not for everyone to be quite so nomadic.
    We do plan to travel overseas, but keep our home here in the states. I have no desire to live without some of our freedoms.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Deal with SAD and depression. You'll understand just how bad it can be. When you have to try using UV lights and finding the sunny days and taking them in as much as you can just to not feel overwhelmed and completely horrible mentally, finding someplace that isn't gray and cloudy for months is important. EXTREMELY important.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm starting to suspect that he doesn't want to stay in Indiana.

:):
    I'm not sure how I can say this more clearly.... but let me try.

I am not staying in this miserable gray winter state. Period. I've spent 48 ****ing years here and my SAD/Depression need a ****ing break from it. I need to go. I have nothing to tie me here. My wife and her family are transients compared to my family history (settled in the 1810's, never left). So We can go wherever we want and its NOT going to be Indiana.

So for the TLDR crowd: I'm not staying in this ****ing state. Looking for freedoms and less gloomy winters.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Here ya go. All states ranked by amount of sunlight, average temperature and humidity level:

(BTW, Indiana is #27. Seems more depressing than that in the winter, TBH.) :):

Sun.PNG

Top Bottom