• ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    doesnt that get hot as f down there?
    The Hill Country tends to be a little cooler than the rest of the area. It is definitely cooler than AZ.

I was in San Antonio for 9 years, which is next to the Hill Country. It generally is in the mid 90s for a high and pretty dry, but it isn't full on desert.
    Where do you expect to move that you get maximum sunshine, moderate temperatures and no democrats?
    Yeah. The Hill Country is about as moderate as you are going to get. It definitely covers the other two.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I should say hot and humid. Heat we can deal with. Humidity she cannot.
    Couple of articles on Texas hill country climate. One complains about "brutally hot," then cites temperatures in the 90's. Yeah...that's not brutally hot, especially with lowered humidity.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Couple of articles on Texas hill country climate. One complains about "brutally hot," then cites temperatures in the 90's. Yeah...that's not brutally hot, especially with lowered humidity.

that's why we never minded 104-105 in Tucson because the humidity just isn't there. Sure, don't stand in the sun all day and not drink water but that's everywhere at some point. I'll take a dry heat.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    that's why we never minded 104-105 in Tucson because the humidity just isn't there. Sure, don't stand in the sun all day and not drink water but that's everywhere at some point. I'll take a dry heat.
    That part of Texas is not very humid. It's the edge of the desert to the West.

If I could get my wife to leave Porter County, that is where I would want to go.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We already had that discussion. Unless you magically get months more sunlight than I do 70 miles north of you than no.
    No! No they don't. It is LESS sun light because of all the STEEP hills and valleys. Some places don't see ANY SUN LIGHT from December through March and are still frozen ground with knee deep snow until April.

Luckily summer landed on a weekend one year when we were visiting S Indiana and I got a picture of some sun shine before it refroze.

1697642620300.png

Last edited:

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    We thought about this too, if we stay in state then down around Corydon, winter is significantly shorter there than Lafayette.

If we go out of state it would either be Idaho Falls, Idaho or Cody, Wyoming.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    My daughter lived in the Texas hill country for several years and loved it. I spent about a week down there on my bike and fell in love. The area northwest of San Antonio (Banderas, Kerrville, Hunt) would be my choice.
    My other thought is the far south part of Colorado around Pagosa Springs. You may think of Colorado as very Blue, but it is much like Illinois in that regard as all the Dumbocrats are in Denver and Boulder, and all the outlying areas are actually filled with normal people. Colorado advertises 300 days of sunshine a year and has very low humidity.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    Grew up in Columbus, graduated from Purdue, was working in the motorcycle industry and was transferred out here to California in1978. A young man’s dream, and then it turned to complete sh-t.

Wifey grew up off Fall Creek in Fishers and wants nothing to do with Indiana again. I reckon the year round average 56*F temps and 315 days of sunshine here near San Luis Obispo are just too much for her to abandon.

If it were me alone l’d be headed to Birdseye, or Magnet, maybe Derby looking for 10 acres.

But that’s never going to happen so fk these dyed in the blue wool asshats; gasoline here hit $7 a gallon this week, the state legislature is planning on removing property tax relief for seniors, and our 2A rights are damned near a thing of the past but we’re digging in here for the last 15 stretch. Just too late to start over.

Just remember, Wherever you go, there you are.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well we may have settled on a locale. Found a nice 3 acre property with a newer house, attached and detached garage, built backstop and rural setting towards the gulf side of Florida north of Tampa area. We have friends in the area, may have them stop by for a look.
    Sounds nice. Hurricane insurance might be kinda hard to get.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Sounds nice. Hurricane insurance might be kinda hard to get.
    nice part its inland enough to not need flood insurance, it's a newer home with concrete block construction and a new roof in 2019 (built to newer standards). about 20-ish miles as the crow flies from the coast.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

My great-uncle lived there for a couple of years after retirement and enjoyed it. Said the elevation was key for climate. He raised goats and puttered around on a mini-farm sort of thing, did some part time work on guided hunts (as a general helper/cook/etc), and enjoyed it. Ultimately he had to move closer to a more urban area as his wife's health declined and easier access to medical care was a priority, but he really enjoyed the area.

We're considering southern Oklohoma for a temporary home once I retire. Closer to DFW airport than most of Texas, reasonably close to all the outdoorsy fun in CO, AZ, TX, and the like without CO, AZ, TX and the like taxes and cost of living. I don't know we'd live there (or anywhere) permanently, but it seems like a good option to explore a lot of the area for the things we like to do.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My great-uncle lived there for a couple of years after retirement and enjoyed it. Said the elevation was key for climate. He raised goats and puttered around on a mini-farm sort of thing, did some part time work on guided hunts (as a general helper/cook/etc), and enjoyed it. Ultimately he had to move closer to a more urban area as his wife's health declined and easier access to medical care was a priority, but he really enjoyed the area.

We're considering southern Oklohoma for a temporary home once I retire. Closer to DFW airport than most of Texas, reasonably close to all the outdoorsy fun in CO, AZ, TX, and the like without CO, AZ, TX and the like taxes and cost of living. I don't know we'd live there (or anywhere) permanently, but it seems like a good option to explore a lot of the area for the things we like to do.
    We figured property values down there are not going to go down and if we don't like it in 6 years when retirement time comes, we can sell it and make some money off it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    nice part its inland enough to not need flood insurance, it's a newer home with concrete block construction and a new roof in 2019 (built to newer standards). about 20-ish miles as the crow flies from the coast.
    I think I've heard that the Tampa area has escaped the major brunt on several occasions.

Top Bottom