• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    IDK. I'm staying put right here. Even have told all my friends they have my permission to whip my @ss if I ever think about leaving Indiana again. lol
    We had thought about moving, maybe somewhere in Tennessee, but I think we've resigned ourselves to staying here. Nextdoor neighbors (younger than us by about 10 years) have decided to do the same. Several years back, DoggyMama shattered her ankle and was wheelchair bound for awhile (no longer, thankfully), so I've already built the ramps, and it's a one story ranch. We've already contracted to have our bathtub torn out and converted to a walk-in shower.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    We had thought about moving, maybe somewhere in Tennessee, but I think we've resigned ourselves to staying here. Nextdoor neighbors (younger than us by about 10 years) have decided to do the same. Several years back, DoggyMama shattered her ankle and was wheelchair bound for awhile (no longer, thankfully), so I've already built the ramps, and it's a one story ranch. We've already contracted to have our bathtub torn out and converted to a walk-in shower.
    Well my reasoning is. I lost my parents and grandparents all within 3 years while I was gone. I didn't get to watch my Nieces grow up. But will watch their kids grow up now. Also was living at the edge of the city limits of Nashville and all I could think about was country living while sirens were going by all the time. Plus that commy democrat mayor's lockdown during covid was the last nail in the coffin. I wasn't out on the road during that time and never really had enough middle fingers to be driving in Nashville all the time. lol

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well my reasoning is. I lost my parents and grandparents all within 3 years while I was gone. I didn't get to watch my Nieces grow up. But will watch their kids grow up now. Also was living at the edge of the city limits of Nashville and all I could think about was country living while sirens were going by all the time. Plus that commy democrat mayor's lockdown during covid was the last nail in the coffin. I wasn't out on the road during that time and never really had enough middle fingers to be driving in Nashville all the time. lol
    We were thinking of eastern TN, near Cherokee Lake, almost at the NC border.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Hippies or Hipsters? lol
    Actual hippies. It's been several years, but my family and I were there. Kids sitting cross-legged on the street, smoking pot and playing guitars on every corner. My at the time teenaged daughter looked at a random street sign and said, "Look Dad, we're at the corner of Haight and Ashbury!"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actual hippies. It's been several years, but my family and I were there. Kids sitting cross-legged on the street, smoking pot and playing guitars on every corner. My at the time teenaged daughter looked at a random street sign and said, "Look Dad, we're at the corner of Haight and Ashbury!"
    Groovy! Although I think "actual" hippies would be in their late 60's to nearly 80 by now. ;)

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    No siblings, no family left other than my folks anymore so once they’re gone there’s literally nothing tying me here.
    My ol lady is kinda in the same boat. She grew up in eastern KY and only had her dad there. Her mom moved to Lexington when my ol lady was a teenager. She said as soon as he is gone, she will never step foot in that place again. But she has adjusted to Indiana fine. Even learned how to drive in the little bit of snow we got last winter. lol

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wife and I are about done with Whitestown/Zionsville "expansion" and our little rural area destroyed for mega-warehouses. So we are planning in the next 5-7 to possibly retire, sell and move somewhere else. The wife grew up in Jersey, live in NW New Mexico on a reservation for almost 2 years teaching before moving back to Indiana (where she went to college). I've lived in this state my entire 48 years. I'm tired of our winters the most. The gray, colorless, cold soul-crushing winters. We have been considering purchasing the inlaws house in Southern Arizona because we like the house, and the view and climate are good for us. But its in a subdivision (strike 1) in a state turning blue fast (strike 2).

So that leaves us where? We need some place that $450k buys us a decent home, has decent laws and not blue. Above all else it needs to be pretty and the winters not suck the life out of you. Ideas? Where would INGO move to not be in oppressive humid summers, soul-crushing winters and decent politics.
    Flagstaff

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    you want winters that aren't as cold? or aren't as gray and gloomy?

There are some states like Wyoming or South Dakota that have similar weather, but have a lot more sunshine and better views. Or do you want a southern state where it's warmer and better views?
    Winters not as cold as Indiana? South Dakota would not be a good choice. Blizzards, 40 below zero with wind chills down to 70 degrees below 0 . Worst 3 years of my life!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'd take a look at Montana. I watched every season of Yellowstone and they never had any snow up there! It was all relatively warm and mostly sunny. Seemed like a really nice place! ;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We've talked about that. But the winters are so harsh up there. The other 4 months are beautiful though.
    I've been through this thought experiment. I hate humidity and my requirement was 70s/50s for most of the summer, maybe a few low 80s but low humidity. I would accept a harsher winter to get that kind of summer

You will find that most any place that has that kind of climate will already be popular and housing will be on the high side. Add to that that many otherwise nice places, like Superior, CO, are leftist hellholes politically. Also keep in mind about the desert SW that there isn't enough water for the people that already live there and more and more people are moving in. I wouldn't want to move into water rationing

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We plan to keep our southern Indiana property and build a small house/cabin on it as a home base, then spend roughly 1/2 the year with a rental in Portugal or Spain, then home half the year. I don't know how living abroad fits with your lifestyle or political needs, but if you like to travel then why put a bunch of money into a new house when you can pick up and go as you like with the same dough. I get some people need to be closer to family or friends and it's not for everyone to be quite so nomadic.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We plan to keep our southern Indiana property and build a small house/cabin on it as a home base, then spend roughly 1/2 the year with a rental in Portugal or Spain, then home half the year. I don't know how living abroad fits with your lifestyle or political needs, but if you like to travel then why put a bunch of money into a new house when you can pick up and go as you like with the same dough. I get some people need to be closer to family or friends and it's not for everyone to be quite so nomadic.
    I can appreciate that, but I really don't have any desire to travel overseas. Too many foreigners. ;)

Top Bottom