• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Wife and I are about done with Whitestown/Zionsville "expansion" and our little rural area destroyed for mega-warehouses. So we are planning in the next 5-7 to possibly retire, sell and move somewhere else. The wife grew up in Jersey, live in NW New Mexico on a reservation for almost 2 years teaching before moving back to Indiana (where she went to college). I've lived in this state my entire 48 years. I'm tired of our winters the most. The gray, colorless, cold soul-crushing winters. We have been considering purchasing the inlaws house in Southern Arizona because we like the house, and the view and climate are good for us. But its in a subdivision (strike 1) in a state turning blue fast (strike 2).

So that leaves us where? We need some place that $450k buys us a decent home, has decent laws and not blue. Above all else it needs to be pretty and the winters not suck the life out of you. Ideas? Where would INGO move to not be in oppressive humid summers, soul-crushing winters and decent politics.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    you want winters that aren't as cold? or aren't as gray and gloomy?

There are some states like Wyoming or South Dakota that have similar weather, but have a lot more sunshine and better views. Or do you want a southern state where it's warmer and better views?

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Nevada, Tennessee, and Texas (states without state income tax) come to mind. I lived quite a few years in Florida and Southwest Texas. Do you like the big city life or small town? Have you considered the Villages in Florida? https://www.citrushills.com/location
    The humidity kills the wife and I's arthritis sadly. I have friends and she has family there as well but the summers would be unbearable for us.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    We are in the same boat as you. Our little town has been overrun. I really wanted to move to someplace remote in TN but the wife is not a mountain/foothill fan. We are starting to look west but haven't settled on anywhere yet.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The new Subaru million+ square foot warehouse they’re building? That’s what I now stare at from my back deck
    We left from just south of you last year. Could not be happier with our decision to leave overrun suburbia and head to a much more rural area.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The humidity kills the wife and I's arthritis sadly. I have friends and she has family there as well but the summers would be unbearable for us.
    Has to be AZ then. We just got back from spending time there....I was a bit surprised with how many "no guns" signs were up around Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tuscon.

For those with bad arthritis, I don't think there is a better place to be...

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The Ozarks (Missouri) are a beautiful part of the country. The weather is very similar to Indiana but the winters are not as bitter cold. We have vacationed there every June for the last 10 years and it has some very pretty country. It is also a red state politically and a 2A friendly state as well.

Top Bottom