• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    FIFY

I cant look at a Liberal over 40 and think "Arent you a bit old for believing these fairy tales? A smart person would have figured out thats not how the world works by now."

You know, like the old saying "if you arent a liberal when you are young, you dont have a heart. If you arent a conservative when you are older, you dont have a brain." Trouble is too many people lack the critical thinking skills to become a conservative (or at least somewhere in the middle) as they age.
    Thirty years ago, or more, Rush Limbaugh spoke of the "Dumbing down of America".

We miss you Rush...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I can't seem to catch who it is that is responsible for the ads, but I keep hearing a radio ad that claims having a firearm in your house triples your risk of suicide.

They offer no statistics, no correlation, no rhyme or reason for the statement, yet present it as evident fact.
    Difference between correlation and causation, but those are the types of things people throw out statistics to the masses who don't think for themselves.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

So if a person that does not own firearms wants to commit suicide, they pick another method. wow, I am so glad those think tank people figured that out for us simple folk.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So if a person that does not own firearms wants to commit suicide, they pick another method. wow, I am so glad those think tank people figured that out for us simple folk.
    Suicide by firearm is BY FAR the most common in the 100's of suicide/attempt suicides I've responded to over the years. Gunshots are almost always effective, few survive. Hanging is mostly effective but people have survived. OD is the least effective. There is a difference between a thought out suicide attempt and an impulsive one. Impulsive attempts are pretty common. My step brother was in an argument with his wife. He's an impulsive person. During the argument, he grabs a handgun sitting next to the couch, and in an "I'll show you" moment, sticks it to his head and pulls the trigger. He didn't die instantly, in fact, it took him long enough for him to have regret. But there was no un-ringing that bell. Other suicide methods take more effort and have a higher survivability rate. The stats are likely close to correct. The US is full of impulsive people and with about 20% of US suffering Depression, is it a big surprise that having access to a firearm makes impulsive decisions more deadly? I'm not advocating policy.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    At the risk of playing devil's advocate, I can see how these statistics would be technically true. As @Denny347 mentioned above, firearms are kind of seen as a universal "instant check-out" tool by people who in the gun community or not. Let's look at it this way, let's say we had 100 people with half of them being gun owners. Now let's say there were an equal number of people who were serious about suicide on both sides, either impulsive or not. I'd bet that there would be more deaths on the gun owner side, as you would need to be very committed in order to prepare let alone risk a painful drawn out end.

With that being said, as mentioned in another post, this is not evidence of causation. These people are using deceptive marketing and psychological tricks to fool ignorant people into thinking there is causation. This is no different in saying there's been hundreds of mass shootings this year, but omitting the fact most of them are drug and gang related and thus not nutjobs shooting up kids with ARs.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can't seem to catch who it is that is responsible for the ads, but I keep hearing a radio ad that claims having a firearm in your house triples your risk of suicide.

They offer no statistics, no correlation, no rhyme or reason for the statement, yet present it as evident fact.
    Say for argument's sake this is true.
    It has ZERO bearing on our constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

It's just one more ploy the anti-civil rights crowd is using in an attempt to demagogue away another of our unalienable rights.

Top Bottom