• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Most people in large cities have less than 1/2 tank of fuel. If you reside more than 100 miles from a large metropolitan area you are much safer.
    I believe most small towns 10,000 and less will just revert to about 1900 life style. We still grow gardens and have handed down skills to survive.

IMO, it will take a community to survive ?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had a guy at work say if anything happened he was coming to my house, told him he wouldn't make it across the yard
    That was the response we got when this would come up. For some odd reason most family knew we were set for these things and we never really discussed it. They just knew we were 2-A gun oriented.
    I basically told anyone that asked not to come unless the gas tank was full as well as the trunk with food stuffs and tools. Skill sets required. That pretty well illuminated most all of them

As time has rolled by most of my side is scattered to the winds across the country.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    I’ve been told that before, in retrospect I wish I’d asked, “what can you bring to the table, if that time comes?” Instead of laughing it off jokingly…

My family is prepared, but I don’t think I could flat out not help friend(s) in need… but everyone needs to be a player if it comes to that. Can you garden, hunt, shoot, cook, medical, etc. what can you bring to the table?

I think having a family/ community like that is crucial to getting through it. Get a system in place.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If things get bad bad, we'll go to my folks' place near Crawfordsville. Hopefully we can get there. Both our vehicles can make the trip on 1/4 tank of fuel. My folks know that we'll come. The thing is - if we have to bring all our supplies, it'll take multiple trips. Can't fit all the food and stuff into our two vehicles + the kids at once. We don't have (and won't have unless I win the lottery) a truck/trailer.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Lol that's what 5 people who have families told me. I told them they need to prepare themselves now and bring items for themselves. I can't feed everyone but they are welcome to come. Safety in numbers, but numbers require food and I believe game animals will become very scarce quickly.

Dry foods.
    Canned foods
    Water purification
    First aid items
    Over the counter meds for as many problems as you can get.
    At least four 5 gallon cans of gasoline for generator
    Firearms and ammunition

That's what I tell them they need to work on and have it ready to move when needed.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Remember The Godfather movies when the compound went under lockdown. We have a plan similar to that here.

If you don’t know the passcode word the MAG members will make you leave. If you know the word you will be allowed in. (Pre selected). If I am around the compound then I am sure the radio will let me know we have visitors.

Not a high amount of mag members but enough for 24/7 security. Lots of skill holes need filled and a few of the people who how “I am going to your place” have those skills and will be voted in or out of the mag. If you bring nothing then you get a small amount of food in a bucket and you will be asked to go away. If you give any flack then the bucket comes back and you will be forced away.

The plan is to be the food line not to be in the food line. Now we wil be eating rice and beans bread and beer but we will eat. Neighbors needing a meal will be fed. Children will be fed. Widows and orphans will be taken care of. (That is in a book people don’t like to talk about here)

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    For what it's worth, it's likely\given that SHTF is not going to happen like switching a light. If you plan to move somewhere else, you run the risk of not realizing how bad things are getting until it's very risky to move. Our nature isn't well suited to doing proper risk assessments.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Threads like this, sensible as they may be, make me glad I wasn’t born 50 years later. With fewer days ahead of the horse then there are behind the cart, it becomes less and less likely that I’ll ever have to deal with something like this.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Threads like this, sensible as they may be, make me glad I wasn’t born 50 years later. With fewer days ahead of the horse then there are behind the cart, it becomes less and less likely that I’ll ever have to deal with something like this.
    Similar situation, but you never know. Two ways it can go, fast as in a natural disaster or quick economic collapse, sneak attack by chinks or ruskies. Or slow, civil disturbance, slow economic downturn, civil uprising over a weeks to months situation. Remember the Boy Scout motto “always be prepared“. I might be old, but I’m trying to always be looking ahead for whatever may come till I stop breathing. Grand folks and folks lived through the Great Depression guess it’s in my DNA. Your in west central, shout at me on 26.945 mhz. CQ INGO mij, I’ll hear you, we’ll make a place for ya.

Walking Bear

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2017
    Floyds Knobs
    Loner by nature and figure I will stay put for awhile. Fairly close to Louisville and if the protesters are any indication I figure I will have to Didi mau (Leave) In such a situation I expect a large group of looters so E&E will be the rule of thumb. Have access to 100 acres near Hoosier National forest will head there.
    Country boy can survive.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Most people in large cities have less than 1/2 tank of fuel. If you reside more than 100 miles from a large metropolitan area you are much safer.
    I believe most small towns 10,000 and less will just revert to about 1900 life style. We still grow gardens and have handed down skills to survive.

IMO, it will take a community to survive ?

Just think of grilling on a propane grill when the power is out for days. Hungry people will smell it miles away.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Or, shoot the wild cats...they are predators
    I have a friend that grew up on a farm just outside of town. People from town had a habit of dropping unwanted cats and dogs in front of his farm. He said he was fully grown and in the service before he realized that everyone else did not automatically shoot cats and dogs on sight.

Top Bottom