• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    We all deal with it in our own way. Like Leadeye, I’m not too worried about it. Roving bands are not likely to make it to the sticks and none of our neighbors know anything about us. TEOTWAWKI is an extremely low probability event compared to loss of income or a medical event. When some acquaintance says “I’m just coming to your place.” I just flat say “you’d better be bringing something to the table.” Those who would be welcomed have already been told and been told not to spread it around. We keep our opsec pretty tight. Casual acquaintances never hear about our preps in any detail.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We all deal with it in our own way. Like Leadeye, I’m not too worried about it. Roving bands are not likely to make it to the sticks and none of our neighbors know anything about us. TEOTWAWKI is an extremely low probability event compared to loss of income or a medical event. When some acquaintance says “I’m just coming to your place.” I just flat say “you’d better be bringing something to the table.” Those who would be welcomed have already been told and been told not to spread it around. We keep our opsec pretty tight. Casual acquaintances never hear about our preps in any detail.
    And you have no idea how honored those you invite feel. I was told if it ever happens, to grab my family and come over. He didnt even have to say to bring anything. He already knows my trunks, boat, etc. will be filled to the brim with every asset I can carry to help. I'm sure Im not the only non-family member invited. So it will probably be a pretty squared away group with many diverse talents to help us all survive together.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We all love our kids/grandkids and our retired parents. What are those folks bringing to the bugout to advance the living conditions, rather than drain it?

I could be wrong and hope I am, but most children and retired folks these days seem quite coddled. Not at all used to pulling their own weight.

It's been generations since we had the mindset of being responsible for doing for ourselves. :dunno:

I won't even mention pets...

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    From the other thread related to this:

Family? Likely, but if you have no skills or supplies you will be standing a lot of late watches. And doing a lot of digging. And cleaning.

Skills and supplies? We will consider it and let you know the results of the vote.

No skills or supplies? Here's a can of soup and and knife. Don't tell anyone where you got them. Now shove off, and don't come back.

Criggity

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If it’s family, hey..kin is kin. Friends? Bring something with you even if it’s just basic firearm knowledge. A firearm isn’t much use without hands to use them.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have been invited to a couple AOs but I feel my best place is home. If things get bad here since it is in-town, I know where to fall back.
    Today getting petrol at Sam's Club reminds me of the OPEC oil embargo days. Long lines! The huge price break was worth it. We are contemplating utilizing our bicycles a LOT more since my wife is scared to death of my motorcycle. Actually ever distracted driver is what she is petrified of.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Good thread for a very relatable subject. As far as the video goes I see her point. Although I thought she was going to come at it from a different view point.

My wife and I have discussed it many times, the conclusion is this... On day 5 of no power, we leave and settle in the BOL. I know a lot of good folks, family even who I'm sure will get desperate after the 7 day mark and come to my door. Gonna be hard to turn em away. I got too much Jesus in me to deny starving family, but have brains enough to know that at some point ya gotta close the door to the Ark. Better to just not be there at all.

Really hope it never comes to this. But glad to be with like minded people here.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have been invited to a couple AOs but I feel my best place is home. If things get bad here since it is in-town, I know where to fall back.
    Today getting petrol at Sam's Club reminds me of the OPEC oil embargo days. Long lines! The huge price break was worth it. We are contemplating utilizing our bicycles a LOT more since my wife is scared to death of my motorcycle. Actually ever distracted driver is what she is petrified of.
    Sadly not better on a bicycle unless you plan to ride sidewalks. Distracted drivers are everywhere…

Top Bottom