wBfkOnL.jpg

70's vintage Python

mhampton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I inherited this a few years ago when my father-in-law passed. According to Smith & Wesson, this is a .38 Special Hand Ejector M&P and was manufactured in the 1915-1942 time frame. Judging where mine falls in the range of serial numbers, I'd guess 1938 or 1939.
    attachment.php

attachment.php

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    My new S&W 340PD, bring it! :)

The new Federal HST 38spl +P is not bad in my 360 (like yours but with a hammer), the 125gr SJHP in 357mag from Federal are downright painful to shoot however, have yet to get up the courage to get even hotter 357 mag for it just for kicks and giggles. Did yours have an awful trigger, mine came in at 19# from the factory!

cItJ2dKh.jpg

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The new Federal HST 38spl +P is not bad in my 360 (like yours but with a hammer), the 125gr SJHP in 357mag from Federal are downright painful to shoot however, have yet to get up the courage to get even hotter 357 mag for it just for kicks and giggles. Did yours have an awful trigger, mine came in at 19# from the factory!

cItJ2dKh.jpg

Very nice!! I plan on trying it out this weekend, haven't had time yet with work and the kids crazy schedules !! I've got 3 or 4 357 Mag loads and a couple 38 plus P loads to try, I will let you know how the bigger 357 loads go. Lol!! Not sure on the weight exactly but mines trigger is smooth and reset is great, it's better then the 642 I had before. I'm happy overall with it fit and function wise so far, it's a dandy!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Very nice!! I plan on trying it out this weekend, haven't had time yet with work and the kids crazy schedules !! I've got 3 or 4 357 Mag loads and a couple 38 plus P loads to try, I will let you know how the bigger 357 loads go. Lol!! Not sure on the weight exactly but mines trigger is smooth and reset is great, it's better then the 642 I had before. I'm happy overall with it fit and function wise so far, it's a dandy!

Random side note, watch the factory rubber grips that come with it they are kinda cheap, after about ~300 rounds the center screw that holds the entire grip onto the pistol broke free of its mount leaving me without grips in the middle of a range session!

r1xOR7xh.jpg

On the left side portion of the grip you can see where the little brass mount broke free from its mount rendering the grips useless. I like the VZ G10 grips much better now though they don't soak up recoil as well as the rubber ones.

Finally random pro tip I wish someone would have told me when I bought mine, DO NOT use abrasives or anything with Ammonia in it to clean the cylinder, it messes up the special finish on the front of the cylinder , as titanium is naturally porous so they put a special coating on the front to prevent allot of carbon build up and wear. Also as the side of the gun says no 120gr or lighter 357mag as it will flame cut the cylinder. 38spl lighter than 120gr is 100% fine however!

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Random side note, watch the factory rubber grips that come with it they are kinda cheap, after about ~300 rounds the center screw that holds the entire grip onto the pistol broke free of its mount leaving me without grips in the middle of a range session!

r1xOR7xh.jpg

On the left side portion of the grip you can see where the little brass mount broke free from its mount rendering the grips useless. I like the VZ G10 grips much better now though they don't soak up recoil as well as the rubber ones.

Finally random pro tip I wish someone would have told me when I bought mine, DO NOT use abrasives or anything with Ammonia in it to clean the cylinder, it messes up the special finish on the front of the cylinder , as titanium is naturally porous so they put a special coating on the front to prevent allot of carbon build up and wear. Also as the side of the gun says no 120gr or lighter 357mag as it will flame cut the cylinder. 38spl lighter than 120gr is 100% fine however!

Thanks for the tips, good to know on the cleaning materials and grips! I had planned on leaving the factory rubber grips alone but maybe not. I take it the VZ grips come with a new screw or ?

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Thanks for the tips, good to know on the cleaning materials and grips! I had planned on leaving the factory rubber grips alone but maybe not. I take it the VZ grips come with a new screw or ?
    I love VZ grips, can't say anything bad about them. They usually come with a new screw. Looks like the problem Dean had wasn't the screw, but the way the "nut" was bonded in the grip. I also have the 360, as well as a 642 that has the same grips. I haven't yet had any issues with the screw pulling out of the grip on either. Something to keep an eye on.
    I can attest, the magnum rounds ARE painful to shoot from a 12 oz gun.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Yes, the VZ's come with a new screw, the way the screw mounts into the grip is also allot more secure than the stock runner grips as well IMHO.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    IvGasL0.jpg

S&W Model 36 from the 1960's. Saw this the first few minutes I hit the floor at a gun show. I knew I was taking it home with me. My first purchase at a show in a long time. Guy I bought it from had dozens of beautiful wheel guns I would love to own. I'll catch him next time through and hopefully ease his burden again.

Top Bottom