Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Incompetence perhaps?
    Ego perhaps?

I do not know the details of the officer sending 9 rounds into the back of the armed theif in the chair, but I do wonder....... As it becomes increasingly difficult to attract solid folks to the position of LEO (due in large part to the "villification of LEOs"), will departments lower their standards and hire candidates they would have previously declined?

There is some evidence it is taking place in the downtown district of Indianapolis.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Politicians keep stabbing their own cops in the back until nobody with the proper aptitude or sense wants to be a cop, and this scene will likely replay in different variations quite a bit.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Given no immediate threat to life you would think that #1 ambition of PD’s would be to show JQ Public how their departments de-escalation policies are ingrained into their officers and put into practice not their ability to preform a mag dump on target.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    ...will departments lower their standards and hire candidates they would have previously declined?

There is some evidence it is taking place in the downtown district of Indianapolis.
    Real concern. Good LEO's being driven out. Already been going on for 5+ years in other high demand technical fields. Hire new just to fill the seat with no training or mentor cause the experienced folks were sent packing with 'strongly encouraged' early retirement packages. i.e. leave or be canned. The results are being seen, simple math, cause & effect. No real danger in the fast food industry where the effect is getting mayo when you asked for mustard... in LEO, engineering, airline industry, etc.. the effects are more deadly; unjustified shootings, catastrophic failures, plane crash....

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. Politicians keep stabbing their own cops in the back until nobody with the proper aptitude or sense wants to be a cop, and this scene will likely replay in different variations quite a bit.
    It's happening. A department local to me got three apps for two slots. Departments are increasingly hiring people who have washed out of FTO programs at other agencies. Background investigation standards are being lowered. The median age (and therefore experience, LE and life) of my department is dropping like a brick. All bad things, IMO.

That video was brutal.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I fully understand he's a threat having a knife.
    However, you have to be able to assess the optics of blasting a dude in a wheelchair... with 9 rounds... in the back.
    Pretty sure most people in the store could escape the threat.
    He ain't going anywhere fast. Plenty of time to use chemical agents, or less lethal options on the use of force continuum.
    Hell this would have been the perfect time for a good old fashioned nightstick butt whoopin'.
    Of course THAT'S not allowed these days.

Going straight to the sidearm though? Damn dude... Thanks a lot for all the ammo you just gave the left to continue with their cops are evil "ACAB" crap, you stupid idiot.

I mean, in the immortal words of creapy joe... "c'mon man."

Last edited:

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    And he proceeds to cuff him like he still a threat. Yea I know that's procedure.

So how about the 2nd officer, any charges for not stepping in before mag dumper unloaded? Or is that procedure, let 1st one on the scene lead the show?

Last edited:

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    And he proceeds to cuff him like he still a threat. Yea I know that's procedure.

So how about the 2nd officer, any charges for not stepping in before mag dumper unloaded? Or is that procedure, let 1st one on the scene lead the show?
    I'm guessing he was in shock, just like everyone else that has watched it.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Not all people in wheelchairs are handicapped. Powered wheel chairs often weigh 300 pounds empty. There is a cord at the rear of the armrest where the controller is. Rip it out and the chair is stopped. There are disconnecting levers for the motors, chair is stopped and able to be pushed. Video: WOW.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Ok I'll take the unpopular position of defending the officer....

"He's on a scooter, how dangerous can he be?"
    How about the little kids in in the store that will not or can not flee when he enters.

"Couldn't the police disable the scooter?"
    Approach the scooter and knife holder jumps up and sinks knife into you. Not fair he was possibly pretending?

I don't quite agree with so many rounds fired but that's how they are trained.

Video below shows his criminal history. Hardened criminal to say the least.

Top Bottom