• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

OMG! Extremely short downrange camera guy!!
    :runaway:

You don't usually OC do you? Do you ever practice drawing reloading from concealment? That's something I need to start doing. All my draw practice is done with my USPSA gear which is not at all how I carry.

I normally do train from CC, but this day I just felt like OCing. Besides, Virginia is an OC state.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Or shoot some matches that way!

​rhino out!
    I think I'd have to shoot Limited minor to use my appendix holster. Might be fun though! My work schedule is really going to interfere with shooting matches this year unfortunately, I'm off Mondays and Tuesdays. :( I'll be at the production/SS/Revolver championship in Warsaw, but it took a lot of finagling and advance notice to get off work.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think I'd have to shoot Limited minor to use my appendix holster. Might be fun though! My work schedule is really going to interfere with shooting matches this year unfortunately, I'm off Mondays and Tuesdays. :( I'll be at the production/SS/Revolver championship in Warsaw, but it took a lot of finagling and advance notice to get off work.

That's what I did most of last year.

Sounds like you might be feeling a little under the weather on some Sundays . . .

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Got out to the range to practice on looking the mag into the gun. I didn't really focus on scanning, reluctantly holstering, etc. I still find things I want to work on, but what do you guys think?

Why not scan after every repetition? It shouldn't distract from the other skills you are practicing.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Got out to the range to practice ... what do you guys think?

Couple of initial thoughts...

- left hand needs to move faster. You don't seem to be in any hurry to get the new mag out.
    - try to get on the mag release a little faster. It looked like you shifted the gun, but then hesitated to hit the button until you had the new mag out of the pouch
    - lots of wasted motion (leaning sideways, shoulder movement). It's all in the arms. This is true for the draw, also.

-rvb

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Why not scan after every repetition? It shouldn't distract from the other skills you are practicing.

True. I did incorporate the scan when I started the 50-round drill. I just wanted you guys to see the main focus that was brought up in the previous discussion.

Couple of initial thoughts...

- left hand needs to move faster. You don't seem to be in any hurry to get the new mag out.
    - try to get on the mag release a little faster. It looked like you shifted the gun, but then hesitated to hit the button until you had the new mag out of the pouch
    - lots of wasted motion (leaning sideways, shoulder movement). It's all in the arms. This is true for the draw, also.

-rvb

I see what you are saying and I will try to work on that. My gun rides tight to my side, so it will be hard to retrieve it without creating a space. Also, how do you move without leaning when you are creating that brief moment of distraction?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    He means you don't win a gunfight by speed reholstering. It is a good prelude to a ND though.

that's what I inferred... but if he didn't focus on it, he holstered fast and un-safe like? He made it sound like there was a specific drill/task he didn't perform, just as he didn't scan. Who comes up w/ these terms? That has to be a pincus-ism...

safety conscious holstering should be something that's ALWAYS done, not a special drill.

-rvb

ps, I do a lean when holstering. I move my strong-side foot close to my left, and try to give the bore a line into dirt, not my leg, should something go wrong. On an owb holster, I like to be able to glance down the sights as it's going in and see dirt, not thigh or foot.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    that's what I inferred... but if he didn't focus on it, he holstered fast and un-safe like? He made it sound like there was a specific drill/task he didn't perform, just as he didn't scan. Who comes up w/ these terms? That has to be a pincus-ism...

-rvb

Then it would be dynamically delayed weapons system offlining (tm)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My gun rides tight to my side, so it will be hard to retrieve it without creating a space.

certainly if that helps you get a consistent grab then go for it. espcially if the gun is iwb. most mag pouches are not iwb and aren't that tight to the body. If you do need to lean, see if you can do it faster. If you have a timer, see how fast you can get to a solid draw grip (the lean looks kinda slow mo in the vid). Getting the WH to the mag and the new mag back to the gun is the long part of the reload

Also, how do you move without leaning when you are creating that brief moment of distraction?

You asked for input on the reload, that's what I took a look at, not the tactical dance steps. You move w your feet, not getting jiggy w/ the upper body. If you move the other way, do you have to lean the other way? Looks like you lean, get the new mag up, then do your sidestep suffle while racking. The movement and leaning aren't happening at the same time like maybe you think.

the shuffle did not distract me. ;)

-rvb

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    "Reluctantly reholstering" was a new term to me too.

I see now that it means "carefully and deliberately." I think!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm afraid to ask what this means......

-rvb

I was just trying to let people know that I was not trying to do everything many of us were taught, but mostly trying to focus on the magazine reloading.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    certainly if that helps you get a consistent grab then go for it. espcially if the gun is iwb. most mag pouches are not iwb and aren't that tight to the body. If you do need to lean, see if you can do it faster. If you have a timer, see how fast you can get to a solid draw grip (the lean looks kinda slow mo in the vid). Getting the WH to the mag and the new mag back to the gun is the long part of the reload

You asked for input on the reload, that's what I took a look at, not the tactical dance steps. You move w your feet, not getting jiggy w/ the upper body. If you move the other way, do you have to lean the other way? Looks like you lean, get the new mag up, then do your sidestep suffle while racking. The movement and leaning aren't happening at the same time like maybe you think.

the shuffle did not distract me. ;)

-rvb

Thanks, man. I'll try to put it all together.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

safety conscious holstering should be something that's ALWAYS done, not a special drill.

-rvb

ps, I do a lean when holstering. I move my strong-side foot close to my left, and try to give the bore a line into dirt, not my leg, should something go wrong. On an owb holster, I like to be able to glance down the sights as it's going in and see dirt, not thigh or foot.

Great point!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    "Reluctantly reholstering" was a new term to me too.

I see now that it means "carefully and deliberately." I think!

Thanks a lot rhino. I was going to relate to Ryan that it is a common term in the training world but he wouldn't know that since those comp guys are always busy doing things that will get them killed in the real world. Nooo, you had to go and ruin it for me.

Seriously though, I like and use the term. It is accurate and descriptive without being to sciencey.:) It is also very relevant for an appendix carrier such as myself.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks a lot rhino. I was going to relate to Ryan that it is a common term in the training world but he wouldn't know that since those comp guys are always busy doing things that will get them killed in the real world. Nooo, you had to go and ruin it for me.

Seriously though, I like and use the term. It is accurate and descriptive without being to sciencey.:) It is also very relevant for an appendix carrier such as myself.

D'OH!!!

I think I'll stick with "carefully" and "deliberately." Maybe add "gingerly" at some point, or "pensively" when I'm in that mood to sit in the picture window nook, wearing a bulky sweater, and sipping a flavored instant coffee while I look dramatically into the middle distance through the rivulets of rain sliding down the glass.

​rhino out!

Top Bottom